1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

New Desktop PC

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Remixer, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Yo,

looking to get myself a pretty much top-of-the-line desktop PC for my new home in Dubai in 2-3 weeks.

Talked with a friend in Germany, and he cobbled this system together for me:

[​IMG]

My budget is US$ 4,000 for the rig. Anything above that and my SO will cockblock me.

Let me know whether you have suggestions on what specifications should be upgraded, or if I should buy anything extra to go with the PC (external).

Already got a sweet-ass 23" LED display and my beloved Sennheiser headset, so those areas remain covered.

Cheers

2. Punk.of.Ages

Punk.of.Ages Getting Tilted

No motherboard? :p

It looks good. The I7 is pretty awesome. I prefer Radeon to NVIDIA, but I think that's more of a personal experience type of decision than anything else.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you shop around. I only spent $900 on my rig. Not that mine is as good as this guy. I only have a single 1GB Radeon 6870, 1T RPM HD, 8GB RAM, and none of the Pre-installed software, but a lot of places wanted $1,500 - $2,000 for similar machines. I did go through a smaller company , which can be risky, but it worked out well and saved me a lot of money.

Also, if you play games a lot, especially MMO or RPG type games, I can highly reccomend the 16 button big brother to the DeathAdder, the Naga:

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this thing. Takes a minute to get used to, but once you do it presents all kinds of options.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

holy cow...nice rig, expensive, but I guess that's the cost of Germany.

so glad that I am not buying that one Remixer.

Everytime I buy a computer I have to buy 2. Actually, depending on the kind of the electronic, I may have to buy 2. I'd shit bricks to have to spend $8k on computers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

In my opinion AlienWare is overpriced. To paraphrase Punk.of.Ages's comment, I would go over the detailed specification for that rig before purchasing.
    I learned few weeks ago that i3 < i5 < i7 isn't true for all Intel cpus. Therefore one can often get more bang for the buck by buying an i5 cpu over same spec/performance i7 cpu. If you have specified requirements then I think the best way is to start by limiting what chipsets meet those requirements and then select the cpu. If you are going to be using a video card, and you most likely are, then selecting a motherboard and cpu that don't have built-in video can be a good idea (use search engines to find some interesting theories on this :).
    BTW I haven't bought a brand desktop machine since 2000 and then I didn't even get a choice :) That was an Compaq and it was a great machine as long as I didn't want to add anything to it. It killed at least 3 hd I added to it but the original hd is still around.
    In short the pros and cons for brand desktops generally are :
    Pro: warranty, stable, no worries that selected features work together, easier to get support and most have some diagnostic applications for troubleshooting
    Con: Add ons and replacements maybe limited to manufacturer (ie. psu, optical drives, cooling ), may have to compromise requirements due to limited choices.
    The pros reflect somewhat in the price as brand computers are usually more expensive than assembled parts.

As long you are happy with your computer that's all there is.

• Like Like x 2
  5. highjinx

highjinx "My phobia drowned while i was gettin' down."

i would call that system overkill for anything but extensive final cut pro editing of video. if that's just how you roll cool, but if you're just putting together a gaming machine and you're only using a single monitor instead of 2 or 4, you'd be fine with a single graphics card. if you really want to splurge look around for the newest nvidia card...

The Spectacular Live Debut of Nvidia's $999 Dual-GPU Video Card
    --- merged: Jun 11, 2012 6:06 PM ---
    P.S. this is a great site for pc builds made for gaming. i linked a $2k build which is pretty sweet but i think you can explore from there to go up or down in price...

System Builder Marathon, June 2012: $2000 Performance PC : Ivy Bridge And Kepler Come Together

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Two 670's in SLI will give performance very near the $1000 690, and for ~$200 cheaper, depending on where you buy them. A single 670 will run anything out today and I would expect anything out in the next 2 years or so, and costs less than half what a 690 goes for.

Anything over $2000 for a PC that's not being used in a professional capacity is a complete waste of money.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cynthetiq

I haven't run SLI but wouldn't the 690 run cooler since it's just the one card?

680s are still sold out. I assume that they will have a stockpile of them soon enough that satisfies the masses. I wish I could just backorder them and they would just show up when they were ready.

8. highjinx

9. cynthetiq

10. highjinx

ahh, ok. i've had a galaxy gtx 460 for 1.5 years now and it hasn't chugged on much of anything so i thought it'd be ok.

11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

12. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My biggest concern with new desktop systems is the sound card more than the graphics cards. Of course the last time i purchased a desktop was 3 years ago when my Athlon XP 1800 system finally died after 8 years. This "new" one still going strong for me aside from an occasional message that tells me the video card is just starting to consider having problems or need replacement. But even then my first step was to ignore the onboard sound and install my trusty Hercules Game Theatre XP with the breakout box., that box is the most used part of my system.

13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Two graphics cards in SLI will produce more heat, yes. However, on any system with proper airflow I wouldn't expect the additional heat would be sufficient to cause problems. It only really becomes a concern if you're looking to overclock.

14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

First off... Don't buy a dell. Secondly please don't buy a dell. As a last point: FOR THE LOVE OF GAME DON'T BUY A DELL. Their power supplies are FAMOUS for taking out the whole rig (or trying to) when they go, and possibly anybody in electrical contact, and in general their hardware quality is massively overpriced and incredibly under-engineered.

Also there's such a thing as diminishing returns, for almost half that price you can have a computer good enough that you really wouldn't notice the difference. I'd say for 2.5k you could probably build something just as absurdly overpowered off newegg and shipped to you and it'd have much better parts quality.

15. Remixer

I'm actually checking out Newegg. No clue how to build your own rig and couldn't find whether they ship to Dubai.

16. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

they don't but if you're up for spending $4,000 on something even using mail forwarding you might come out cheaper.

17. Remixer

Let's see what will happen. :)

18. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Not sure this has much pertinence here overall but my only problem with my Dell laptop has been the hard drive going through the slooow but obvious death throes lately.
    My desktop system is an Alienware, which of course has been owned by Dell for a few years now. That is going strong still.
    On that note if I had time back then to actually plan on buying a new system rather than lose both of my then 8 year old systems less a week apart with no cash available for a new one, then I would have looked at building it myself first or be taking more time to find somebody out there that offers completely customisable and handbuilt systems.

19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I think part of the point is that it is easier to upgrade a system if you have a generic case v. a propietary case. The same goes for many of the other parts of a PC. When I tried to upgrade my Dell many moons ago, the new mobo wouldn't fit in the Dell case. I would really just recommend building your own PC. It can be a lot of fun. The power supply can also end up being an issue over time.

I will say I have had less problems with fitting new hardware in HP's cases, though. I got a steal of a deal on a coworker's old rig after she upgraded to a gaming PC her friend built for her, and I have been able to make significant upgrades without needing a new case or new power supply.

20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Dell also has a habit of using proprietary power supplies, which I found out the hard way once while trying to do a simple diagnostic. Not sure if they've stopped that or not since I've pretty much categorically refused to bother opening them since then.