1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Sneakers

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DAKA, Dec 29, 2013.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

NEW SNEAKERS.
    Last week on one of our morning walks along the beach I made a comment that it seemed that I was the "only" person wearing white sneakers....I had been hearing from"the boss" for a while now that I "needed" new sneakers, I kept saying that there was nothing wrong with mine......wrong thing to say, so off we go to DICKS SPORTING GOODS.
    I guess I have had the white sneakers for a long time and when I saw the prices of new ones $40 to over $200 !!!, I kinda' revolted.....what's wrong with my white ones, I asked ...foolishly..and I got THE LOOK...so I got new sneakers, WHITE, RED, BLACK, VENTED....and new RED LACES.
    I found this pair that were only $50.....
    My question is, since they all seemed to be made in CHINA (grrrrr) WTF is the big deal about $200+ sneakers....

2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Those ones are for silly teenagers, generally.

Nike, for example, produces several different lines of running shoes. They extend across price points from $50-$180, roughly. The higher end shoes are the ones that have the next-gen materials. In the case of Nike's women's shoes, that's the latest generation of the Air Max sole at the top end, followed by the Lunarlon sole. The Lunarlon is an AMAZING sole, super comfy. I love mine--but I got them on clearance at Zappos because they were mango (bright orange). From there, it's down into the Zoom, a lower level of the Lunarlon named the Lunarglide, the classic Air Pegasus, and the Free. They're all different soles, and different variations on them appear at different price points. Having purchased and used Nike shoes for years across the board, there is a distinct difference in performance on the $60 shoe v. the $110 shoe. I prefer the $110 shoe.

I might have a shoe problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

@snowy did a great job of breaking it down.

The $200+ shoes are a status symbol, and cost that because Lebron or some other huge name (Jordan is still 'the man' in shoes, believe it or not) is attached to that model.

But if you compare some of the higher end shoes aside from those (I'm talking the $100-150 range) against the cheaper ones ($40-60), you will likely be able to tell a difference. For me, having flat feet, the softness and support in the soles is the key difference. I definitely notice an improvement in some of the moderately high end shoes, even from the same brand. My experience is the same as her's. I've only worn Nikes since about 1991 or so. I have much better success around the $100-120 price point than the lower end shoes. Most of that is in how long they stay comfortable. After several months the difference is profound IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Protip: 99% of stuff in the US is made in China.

Also: Unless you're running half marathons, you should be in casual footwear instead of athletic footwear. Nothing says "I eat at buffets and haven't cracked a Double Windsor in over a decade" like wearing ratty white sneakers with jeans and a t-shirt. Should be a crime, honestly. Your boss may have been commenting on how your shoe type was inappropriate on top of their blown out condition being inappropriate. It's like jeans day at work: You can wear jeans but they can't have holes in the knees or a Skoal ring on the ass. Unless you work at a loading dock or a place that is cool with tie-dye and ponytails, you should probably be wearing something subtle in black or brown leather. Is it superficial? Sure. But, hey, that's all dress codes, amiright?

I wear trail running shoes when I'm running or at the gym because I like the support and traction. When I'm going out-out, I wear casual shoes like old school high tops or brown casual shoes as I can dress up or down and not hafta change shoes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I think his boss is his wife. ;)

6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Aaah, I get it now. My bad. "The boss." Or "HH6" as it is called in the military by guys who let their wives put a leash up their ass.

My comments are still valid. Just because he's retired and has been married since JFK was President doesn't mean he should slowly descend into Forever Lazy suit territory.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Nope, you're right... and everything makes so much more sense now.

Also makes me wonder if the brand new sneakers come with knee high black socks, too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

Hey now, @damnitall and I got each other footie pajamas for Christmas.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Footie pajamas are way classier than Forever Lazy suits. And yes, there is a difference.

• Like Like x 2