1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2011 discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Redlemon, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Ahhh, football. Good to see you again.

I watched the Patriots/Jaguars preseason game last night. I'm concerned about this new "instant replay review on every touchdown" rule; it really seemed to drag out the game, and take away any momentum that a team would get from scoring. Admittedly, the first two touchdowns were review-worthy, and I don't think the first one should have counted.

What do you think of the replay rule?

2. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i agree i think that it will slow down the game.
    I also dont like the new rule that you kick off from the 35 yard line. to me that just will male for alot of touchbacks and may keep the special teams out of the game

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I dislike the new kickoff rule more. I'd rather the game take a few minutes longer and the important calls be right than to say "let's not spend 45 seconds to get it right" on potential game changing (and season changing) plays. Also, I think they'll get better at doing it quickly as the officials get more experience with it too.

4. ralphie250

i agree that as it goes on it will go by quicker

5. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

There weren't a lot of "put it through the end zone" kicks last night in the Pats game, but perhaps that's because they actually wanted to see what the special teams could do.

6. Listening to the Cincinnati Detroit game right now. Detroit is winning but beating themselves with penalties (because we know the Bengals can't beat them).

I just keep telling myself, "It's just preseason. It's just preseason." Dalton is getting his footing though.

7. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Sheesh, my entire Facebook news feed is about the Bengals-Tigers game. I don't as pay much attention during preseason, but it, uh, isn't sounding too good.

I don't understand the scoring review rule. I mean, I understand the rule itself, but I don't understand why it's necessary. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

At any rate, I'll be rarin' to go in September. I need a new jersey, though...I don't want to wear my Carson Palmer one anymore :(

8. ralphie250

i ahve directv so i get the sunday ticket package. I love my colts, falcons , and lions.
    seems a little early for preseason since they have only been practicing for 2 weeks or so.

9. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

The owners don't care if they players are ready to play or not, as long as they can sell tickets and get the television revenue. There are always other people willing to play if the ones you have get injured.

10. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Truth & Rumors

Interesting.
    (nothing more to read...that's all of it....)

11. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

there are bucs, and there are bills; all else is folly...

12. I hope it's Ocho. I love him. He may be crazy, but he was good for Bengals fans because he gave us a reason to rally. He's also a good guy. Doesn't party or get arrested and is truly passionate about the game. I wanted him to play elsewhere so he could grow as a player. I hate the Pats and and would like to see him go somewhere else..NOT the Steelers either.

13. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

The No Fun League marches ever onwards in its wholehearted attempt to make football as boring as possible. Why watch people play when you can just rewatch every play that has already happened and worry endlessly about whether you've made a "good hit" or a "give the other team the endzone already" penalty.

Either way, I don't really care about preseason very much. I'm just looking forward to the real thing.

14. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I really don't expect that to happen. Either of them (especially Haynesworth) could have something happen during the season that gets them cut, but I highly doubt either will be cut before the season starts.

15. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

And the Bills minus Maybin are a better team than they were yesterday. Which is sad.
    Yet another first rounder down the tubes!

16. ralphie250

to me haneswort is a lazy bastard

17. fill23ca

fill23ca Vertical

And they traded Evans. I'm more pissed about this than the releasing of Maybin. Zero sacks in his short career.

18. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Definitely not my sport but I did have a pertinent question shockingly enough. Just how much do these do American Football players make compared to the NBA players(were making)? And I do realise that this is comparing the NFL players with the new recent agreement and the NBA players with the old expired agreement.

19. ralphie250

i cant even remember one that they picked that was decent in the last 10 years

20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Yep, the Bills awful performance the last 10 years can be directly tied to their horrible picking in the draft.
    They are the diametric opposite of the
    Patriots.