1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Andy Reid fired today as expected. Generally a classy dude IMO (especially to deal with Philly fans!) but the whole thing was just going sideways the last few years.

This could be a pretty big offseason for coaching changes considering it was the first year in forever that no coach was replaced mid-season and there are a lot of borderline coaches on the hot seat. I wonder who will be next.

• Like Like x 1
  2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Lovie Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Just heard that. Heads are rolling in Cleveland, San Diego, NY (Jets GM so far), and maybe Carolina I hear.

Black Monday indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I read in a paper/online that the Seachickens won again. That almost sounded exciting, but I can definitely respect winning consecutive 5 games in the NFL. That kind of almost corresponds to a 12-15+ winning streak in the NBA right?
    I did learn yesterday there are 32 teams in the NFL, at least the machine dispensing pencil toppers for .75 cents each inferred as much. Doesn't that make for a crowded playing field so to speak with a limited number of games compared to baseball or the NBA?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

They did win. They went undefeated at Clink this season. Russell Wilson also tied Peyton Manning's record for most TD passes in a rookie season.

6. Borla

Seattle was surprisingly good this year, you heard correct.

In the NBA there are 82 regular season games, in the NFL there are 16. So if you are speaking in purely mathmatical ratios, and if my math is correct, 5 wins in a row in the NFL is about equal to a 25-26 game winning streak in the NBA. Though I think you would probably find far more 5 game winning streaks in NFL history than you would find 25 game winning streaks in the NBA. Playing several times a week, and constantly traveling, makes the task harder in the NBA.

As far as the teams v. games issue, here is how it works. There are 8 divisions of 4 teams each, 4 divisions are in the NFC (National Football Conference) and 4 are in the AFC (American Football Conference). You always play the other three teams in your division twice, once at home and once on the road. So that accounts for 6 of the 16 games. Then each team in the same division will play all four teams in another division in their conference (two of those games on the road, two at home). For example, this year every NFC North team played every NFC West team. So that accounts for a total of 10 of the 16 games. Then each team in the same division will play all four teams in another division in the other conference (again, two at home, two on the road). This year every NFC North team played every AFC South team. So now we have 14 of the 16 games. The last two games are determined by randomly picking two teams in your conference, but in the other divisions, that finished in the same place in the standings as you did. So the team that finished first in the NFC North last year, will play two of the three teams that finished in first place in the South, East, and West divisions of the NFC. They do all of that to try to keep the teams in the same division to like schedules (with the way 14 of the games are chosen), and to try to keep parity (with how the last two are chosen).

Hopefully that all made sense. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

thanks Borla. I'd always wondered how that worked but never bothered to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Just wanted to add a thank you to Borla for that brief explanation how the NFL is divided up. Never would have asked or looked it up myself but it was interesting. I figured out the general rules of the game when I was 19 or so watching people play on a Playstation 1 in the engineering berthing on the ship but did not know much beyond that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I was a loyal attendee of football games for many, many years without really understanding it. Once I played powderpuff, I developed a real appreciation for the strategy and execution that it takes to play the game well. I don't watch as much pro ball as some folks, as I tend to prefer college ball (GO BEAVERS!), but I do enjoy watching the Seahawks play.

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Waiting for Saturday and Sunday's game. I missed the last two regular season games due to a trip. Arriving back home to find the Cowgirls lost their last two and will not see post season play makes my heart warm. The Seahawks and the 9'ers making the play-offs didn't ruin my mood either.

Kind of sad to see Da Bear let their coach go, a .625 season and win your last two games means you're fired? Tough town.
    --- merged: Jan 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM ---
    What happened to the Beavers bowl game? Really thought they had that in the bag.

The ducks will choke yet again tomorrow night I suspect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  12. Borla

Andy Reid to the Chiefs, just announced. I'm not shocked that he was snatched up so quickly.

I'll be interested to see where Chip Kelly lands. I wish he'd stay one more year, but I don't see that happening.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

As long as Kelly doesn't go to the Cowgirls I'll be happy.

14. Borla

I think you are safe there.

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yeah, you're probably right. Kelly's human and they're scum sucking douche bags.

Too rough on douche bags? Sorry, my bad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

I can't wait for the next two days of playoff football.

I'm even having a pity party and rooting for the Bengals on ZombieSquirrel 's behalf. But don't tell anyone or I'll deny it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have converted Borla into a Bengals fan!!!!!!!! Muah ha ha ha ha ha

I'm not really sick. It was all just a part of my plan!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Borla

I knew I should've listened to my Mama.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Borla

NFL Countdown would be so much better if it weren't for Chris Berman. He is so annoying to the point of reaching Bill Walton, Joe Morgan, John Madden annoyance levels.

But at least those guys once did something in their sport....

20. Borla

Game time. :cool: