1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Me either. If rg says he ok is shanahan suposto put him through a series of tests on the sidelines??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

And he originally hurt his knee several weeks ago, was fine to play in the previous couple games, and was thought to actually be getting better.

Jay Cutler gets ripped last year for sitting out when he tore his MCL. Now Shanahan and RG3 get ripped for letting him play. You can't win.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

• Like Like x 1
  4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Thank god

5. QuasiMondo

QuasiMondo New Member

If you ask any other player if they're okay, they'll say yes even when they're not. Look at how many players admitted to lying about having a concussion just so the won't get pulled from the game? Jay Cutler is the rare exception of a player who will admit that he's hurt. RG3 will play if he had two broken legs, and that's what I want from a player. But he's also a $21 million investment and it's Shanahan's job to maximize that investment and protect it. I've said it elsewhere, but his failure to perform the latter could jeopardize the former. Now they're talking about total reconstruction of his knee because he'tore the same ACL from when he was at Baylor. Hoping for the best, he'll bounce back like Adrian Peterson. Expecting the worst, he'll be plagued with knee problems that will take away his mobility and the things that made him dynamic.

And for what? It's his rookie year and the Redskins had nowhere to go but up. They could live to fight another day. They aren't a Win Now team like the Patriots or Broncos.

6. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

This sounds like a lot of 20/20 hindsight to me. The doctors examined RG3. They asked him if he could go. He said yes. The doctors said yes. It wasn't until later that they found out how bad it was.

What am I missing?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

Where was this post on Dec 9th? Because that is when he hurt his knee. I didn't hear ONE person say "let's sit him the rest of the year to make sure he fully heals, forget the playoffs!" Instead it was "how fast can he be back?" And he came back after one week out against Philly, and everyone applauded him, said he was tough, said he was a good teammate, and said they hoped he would be able to perform well. So after playing for three straight games, on Dec 23, Dec 30, and Jan 6th, now we want to blame Shanahan? I think that is unfair, and I'm no particular fan of Shanahan.

I give you a couple other things to ponder as well. Remember what the Nationals did with Strasburg? Like RG3, he had a previous injury. Like RG3, he wanted to play through it. Like RG3, his team was fighting for a spot in the playoffs and ended up getting in. But the Nationals said "hey, he's too valuable, we are sitting him instead of risking him hurting himself". And the huge majority of "experts", and nearly everyone I saw on message boards, said that was the wrong call. They said he could get hurt next year in spring training, or at any random time in any random season. They said to be careful with him, but to go out and win today because you don't know what position you will be in tomorrow. I doubt many Redskins fans would be happy today if Shanahan sat RG3 in the playoffs and RG3 said "I could've played". Instead we'd see people wanting Shanahan's head for that.

Also, I blame Snyder more than anything. You made a valid point. The Redskins have a 8-figure investment in RG3 right now. He could be a franchise changer. So why in the world would they let him and the other hundreds of millions of dollars worth of players play on that horrid field? The team is literally a BILLION dollar plus investment. Why not spend a couple/few percentage points of the total value (literally) and replace the field with a quality field like most of the league has? Especially when your star player's game is predicated on speed and cutting ability? I blame the condition of the field, and the one ultimately responsible for not making sure it was better, which in the end is the owner.

The bottom line is that, as the_jazz said, an educated decision was to play him. He played, and sadly was hurt. That is football sometimes. That is any sport sometimes. If anyone anywhere said "the should really sit RG3" before the game, I missed it.

8. Borla

Not one word of Super Bowl talk?

I thought this was pretty funny. :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My husband and I thought it was hilarious.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Ok so who's going to win and my how many points. Knowing the over under would be nice too.

11. Borla

I think the line started at Baltimore +4.5 most places, and is now down to Baltimore +3.5 most places. Over/under started at 49 and is down around 47 or 47.5.

I don't really gamble personally, but even if I did I don't think I'd want to touch this one with any serious money. Forced to make a choice I'd take SF and the under.

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

9'ers making the SB made a large deposit in my bank so I'm up quite a bit. I always pick about 4 teams before the start of the season and place $50-100 to make the SB. I usually make these choices within weeks of the end of the last season, better or longer odds. 9'ers were 30/1 to be in the SB and 45/1 to win. I had/have money on them the Bears, the Redskins and the Chargers. Had the Redskins beat the Ravens I'd have been on happy camper. But 9'ers making it to the SB's enough to cover a nice vacation, unfortunately my GF and her best friend think a nice vacation is going to Disney World. So this summer I'm headed to Orlando in search of $15 margaritas and long lines of rude people. Oh and I also get to spend at least one day at the outlet stores in search of the prefect shoes and hand bag. On the bright side if the 9'ers win the SB I'll also be planning a dive trip to Bon Aire.

As far as this SB goes I'll probably place $100 total action on the game as I'm up and I'd like to keep it that way.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2