1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2014 season thread: The good, the bad, & the ugly.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I saw that thread, pretty cool.
    Now if only I followed the other NFL teams more closely.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You don't have to follow them close, just spitball and post something.
    Hell, if you have even half a mind of the game, you should get quite a few right.
    It's just for the fun of it.

3. Chris Noyb

Not a bad foorball weekend for me, four out of five.

1. The Texans won :D . Not impressively, but after 2-14 last year us Texans fans will take what we can get.
    The Texans defense held the Redskins to one TD, that was with Clowney missing the second half. The bad news is he'll be out four-to-six weeks with a knee injury.

2. The cowgirls lost . In Dallas. In front of cowgirls fans :p . Yeah, baby, yeah!!

3. The UH Cougars won :cool: .

4. The longhorns lost. At home in Austin. Ha, ha, ha.

5. Unfortunately, the aggies won :mad:.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Big news today.

Last night the video of Ray Rice hitting his then fiancé was released. Cue media firestorm over the NFL's self admittedly too light punishment for it.

So today, the Ravens cut Ray Rice completely.

Then, shortly thereafter, the NFL suspended him indefinitely.

The NFL has screwed up this entire situation since the outset. They look stupid throughout, starting with the incredibly light initial punishment. Not to mention the fact that they let his fiancé come in and beg them to go easy on Ray. Because we all know domestic abuse victims are the best ones to listen to when deciding on punishment for the abuser, eh?

5. Chris Noyb

In this case the evidence against Rice pretty overwhelming. What will the NFL do in cases of "she said, he said" with little physical and/or visual evidence to support either side?

One of our local sports TV journalists who's been around forever took the NFL to task for not getting a copy of the video from inside the elevator sooner. He said the NFL asking the police for all of the evidence wasn't enough, that they had the resources to get a copy of the new video if they were serious about the investigation. I don't see the police jeopardizing an active investigation by accomodating the NFL.

6. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

what gets me is that goodell is trying to make it a standard 6 game suspension if you are accused of it. not satying its right or wrong but what happened to due process

7. rogue49

It's called catering to the Market...which is the NFL's MO.
    If they can get away with it...and keep a commodity in play...then they'll do it.
    If they see that there's too much of a firestorm, then they throw out the baby and bathwater.

Face it, the NFL is often just as circus-driven as the WWF.
    It's about image, results and a story...not what's right or real.

Not that I disagree in this case...it's pretty obvious.
    But the NFL is about zone converage, blitzes and shotgun plays...they'll cover their asses.:rolleyes:

----------------------

On another note...I was quite surprised at the results of some of the games this week with the given matchups.
    Is it me, or there were quite a few upsets???
    (**yes, I know it's the 1st week...but still)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

There were quite a few upsets. I need to check Rogue's "pick 'em" thread.

9. rogue49

NFL PSA: Parents...don't let your kids grow up to be Ryan Leaf... - Sentenced

Oi Vey...I lived in San Diego when he first was drafted for the Chargers...they opted for him over Peyton Manning. :rolleyes:
    My god, that was miserable to watch...and the misery just kept on going.

10. ralphie250

and keeps going

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

RG III is on the sidelines wincing in pain and it looks bad ; Kurt Cousins comes in and throws TD.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We're only getting the Pats/Vikings game this morning. It would not be my choice to watch out of the games airing right now, but oh well; I'm not willing to put in the effort to stream anything else. I also don't like the CBS Sports analysts compared to Fox. Thankfully, the Seahawks/Chargers game is on Fox at 1. GO HAWKS!

13. Chris Noyb

Wow. I was impressed with the Texans, even though a win over not so great team with a rookie QB (Uh, Chris, weren't the Texans 2-14 last year?) doesn't necessarily mean that much (the Texans started their 2-14 season 2-0). Who cares about Fitzpatricks' passing yards when the Texans win?

The Saints are 0-2. Can somebody who actually follows the NFL explain what has happened to the Saints over the last couple of years?

The Seahaks lost to the Chargers. Does this mean that the Chargers have figured out how to win games instead of giving them away?

Most unfortunately, the cowgirls won. The positive is the Titans' loss could help the Texans depending on how the season goes.

How did your team(s) do?

Has the QB debate in Washington been started yet again?

14. ralphie250

holy shit, im 2-0, that never happens

15. Chris Noyb

You're 2-0? What position do you play?
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I used to use that line on the guys who talked as though they actually played for their teams, namely dallas cowgirls fans.

Don't worry, the Falcons still have 14 games in which to collapse (says a Texans fan :confused: ).

• Like Like x 1
  16. snowy

I appreciate that you're pinning this on the Chargers learning to win. The Seahawks played okay on Sunday; unfortunately, okay was not enough. I wonder what kind of role the heat played in their performance.

I'm still a little depressed. It's waning, though.

17. Chris Noyb

I guess that parity is a reality in the NFL. Obviously there are really lousy teams that never seem to improve (a form of parity?), but I'm not seeing any dynasties among the top teams.

Patriots? Steelers? Saints? Ravens? Giants (wth happened?), Broncos losing 43-8? 49ers?

18. snowy

I was consoled by the fact that the 49ers also lost.

19. Chris Noyb

I'm a 49ers fan going way back to when they used to keep the cowgirls out of the SB, two years in a row IIRC.

20. snowy

My husband claims to be a 49ers fan. I say claims because he has nothing on a 12.