1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2014 - Weekly Picks

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rogue49, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Somebody forgot to tell Seattle what time to show up!

• Like Like x 1
  2. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Wow what an exciting win after a completely boring 3 qtrs

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it is coming down to points again this week...

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Ok, very interesting playoff week...Seattle decides to show up at the end of a Badminton game... (how many turn overs between the two teams??)
    And the Colts don't show up at all, guess they were tired from the momentum of the previous weeks. But not without a controversy with the Patriots, of course...

We have an actual TIE for winner this week.

We have TWO ties actually... :D

It's a funny week...even with a tie-breaker that you'd think that wouldn't likely tie, in total game points...but we did it!

@Borla and @grumpyolddude share the top spot...some how picking the same numbers, but transposing them. :cool:
    @ChrisNoyb picks them all right, but his score is further from the now higher scoring games (as opposed to the lower scores in the past. funny...so much for trends)
    @ZombieSquirrel comes in with the one win group...and gets it closer than the rest in that set.
    @Popeye & I - Believe it or not...tied, with both of us coming in from either extreme, 20 points differing for each.
    @ralphie250 goes for the gusto and the upset in both games...and the underdogs dog him. Hey, any given Sunday...especially in the playoffs.

And here's the SUPERBOWL!
    Sunday, February 1
    New England vs Seattle 6:30 PM EST NBC

As we can see, it's anyone's guess...the odds change for any game.
    And both these teams are familiar with playing in Superbowl. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  5. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

well I didn't see a shut out coming, I knew I picked the under dog, but not the six foot under dog. I got two weeks to 411 the SB. will post late...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Third is better than my previous next to last finish. :rolleyes:

I know my pick to win the SB, but I need to think about the points.

Sunday, February 1
    New EnglandX vs Seattle 6:30 PM EST NBC........61 points.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Borla

I can't remember such a huge game where the spread was still all over the place 2-3 days in. I still see places with Seattle at -1.5 all the way over to NE at -1.5. Usually the big houses are more unified on what the spread is by now.

8. rogue49

Just remember you have plenty of time to put it down
    or even change your mind...

Should the tie-breaker-tie-breaker be whether the half-time show was good?? ;)

9. Um.... no. Who decides on the quality of the half-time fare? I have paid no attention to Katy Perry's music and find Lenny Kravitz unbearable. His "American Woman" cover drove me to talk radio:mad:

As to the game, I'm content to wait and let the Seattle injury situation play out a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

Hell no!

• Like Like x 2
  11. rogue49

Man, I thought the wink showed it was a joke.
    We Americans are so impassioned about our half-time shows...for better or worse. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

Yesterday was long day. The wink registered, but didn't register (if that makes sense).

I understand why they make half-time shows visually spectacular, but it doesn't impress me. I recall the year they had Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. The kids who got to go out on the field were so young they probably didn't even know the band except in name only. The Bruno Mars performance wasn't bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to his music, but I do respect the fact that he is an actual musician and songwriter, not just some pop music puppet like Bieber and many others.

13. Borla

I guess we gotta start thinking about finally making this last pick soon, eh?

14. rogue49

Yep, they've definitely made this one into a WWF cage-match...controversy and all.
    The charismatic bad Patriots vs. the Ex-hero Seahawks...who will win??

Putting out the call to all the Usual Suspects, if you haven't put anything down yet.
    @Borla , @grumpyolddude , @ralphie250 , @ZombieSquirrel and @Popeye
    @ChrisNoyb is the only one that's laid down his cards...of course, he can change them too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  15. Borla

New England x vs Seattle 6:30 PM EST NBC 48pts

I honestly think this one could go either way, but I have to pick, so...

• Like Like x 1
  16. rogue49

Sunday, February 1
    New England vs SeattleX 6:30 PM EST NBC - 45

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  17. Borla

You waiting to place the "X" until after the game? ;)

18. rogue49

Got it, thanks :cool:

19. I've decided that the Seattle defense, as good as they are, can't overcome the injuries they sustained in the conference championship game. They won't punk NE the way they did Denver a year ago. And Wilson will put a lot of stress on the Patriot's D. I foresee more scoring than many predict. No offense to our NorthWest brothers, but...

Sunday, February 1
    New England X vs Seattle 6:30 PM EST NBC
    65 points

Of course, there's still time to have a change of heart:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chris Noyb

Here's how I see the game:

The Hawks offense will play poorly in the first qurter, maybe even the first half, but their tight D won't allow the Pats to turn it into an early blowout.
    The Pats will take the lead early, but the score will be close enough to keep the game interesting.
    The Hawks offense will eventually wake up, but won't be able to catch the Pats. Every time the Hawks get close the Pats will answer with points.

I can see the Pats having red zone problems in the second half because of the Hawks tight D, but they'll manage to hold off the Hawks, most likely relying on field goals.

Cliche alert!!......Turnovers could be a huge factor. A few breaks for the Hawks could mean a close win. A few for the Pats could mean a blowout.

P....H
    14-0.
    14-7.
    17-7
    17-10
    21-10
    24-17
    31-24
    37-24

Amazingly the winner and final score happen to be exactly what I picked (no, I didn't intentionally rig the final score, I'm not that good at math :eek: :D ).