1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2015 Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i couldnt believe that when i herd it

2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

To me, this makes more sense than any of the other ideas I've read.

An NFL rule change that would make one of the most basic concepts of football obsolete is gaining support - Yahoo Finance

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of narrowing goal posts, or backing up the kicker 10-15 yards for PATs.

But I do kind of like the idea of making the 2pt conversion be run from the 1yrd line. This puts it in the hands of the coaches, doesn't make the kick any harder, but would make it much more appealing to go for two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The one yard line.....interesting. I wonder what the kickers, esp those who have been round long enough to be eyeing a spot in the record books, think.

More importantly--Would Pete Carroll call a running play or a passing play :eek:? :p:p:p

--------------------------------------------

Butch Wilfork. The word is he can still play and barring injuries should have 2-3 good years left. I don't doubt his ability, but I do question what appears to be a "the future is now" approach by the Texans. Anyone remember Ed Reed? Rick Smith's record for finding good young players is solid, his record with older players sucks.

And still no top quality QB (to be fair, it's not like they grow on trees).

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

5. Chris Noyb

I used to call Rob Ryan fat hippy, but ONLY when & because he was coaching with the dallas cowgirls. Now he's just Rob Ryan, and yes he has nice hair. Last year his Saints D sucked.

6. Borla

A colleague of mine grew up with the Ryan boys and was on the same football team as them in High School. He says they were characters even back then, and Rob was definitely the ring leader.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

Rob Ryan felt persecuted after being fired by the cowgirls--"I'll be out of work for like five minutes."--but he hasn't been impressive as the Saints' DC.

Mentioning DCs, I'm glad to see that Wade Phillips landed a job.
    My only concern is was it a good hire (Wade's record suggests yes), or is Gary Kubiak still "loyal to a fault" as a HC?

While I don't like Suh as a dirty player, it would've been great if the Texans could've signed him. Wilfork is very good, but he's getting old (by NFL standards).
    --- merged: Mar 25, 2015 at 7:06 AM ---
    I can see that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  8. ralphie250

im courious to know why winston says he isnt going to the draft

9. Borla

Aaron Hernandez found guilty of first degree murder and other charges.

Automatic life in prison with no parole.

10. ralphie250

He deserves it

• Like Like x 2
  11. Borla

It's being reported tonight by several outlets that Tom Brady WILL be suspended for his alleged role in Deflategate. The only question to be determined before an announcement next week is for how many games.

While I think he probably did something that was bending/breaking the rules, I don't think the report/investigation really PROVED it.

If/when he is suspended it'll be interesting to see what happens on appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ralphie250

i hear that it may be for the whole season

13. Borla

That would absolutely shock me.

Especially if it stood up on appeal.

I think the NFL did a horrible job in handling this from start to finish.

14. ralphie250

i agree, with seems that some of the evidence points to tom brady knowing what was going on. the NFL is so inconsistant

15. Borla

Apparently there IS a published penalty in the rule book for tampering with the footballs.

The punishment called out is a $25k fine. Period. If that's what the rules say, that's all we should be talking about. Then discuss how they'll improve the procedures going forward.

16. ralphie250

if thats all he gets then im sure the partiots owner will pay it

17. Borla

4 game suspension for Brady.

The league threw it under the "Conduct Detrimental to the League" clause instead of the rule about tampering with footballs. It'll be interesting to see what happens to this on appeal.

The team loses three draft picks, including a first rounder next year. Also a $1M fine.

I'll be shocked if it all stands.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  18. The Bengals have AJ Hawk and then in the third round of the draft were able to snag Paul Dawson. I thought that kid would have gone sooner and I bet he did too. Dawson probably won't play much though while Burfict is healthy. Lewis likes to bench the noobs

19. Chris Noyb

The NFL dragged its feet hoping that deflating incident would fade away; it didn't.

They were forced to investigate, still hoping that incident would fade away; it didn't.

The NFL was forced to take a face-saving tough stand. Although I don't think league will back down, it's certainly possible they left the door open (wink ;) , wink ;) ) for a compromise.

The penalties might stand, for punitive reasons based on past transgressions more so than the actual deflating incident (in all likelihood incidents). I might be back later with a parody ditty in (dis)honor of Brady.

------------------------------------

The Texans put D.J. Swearinger on waivers, apparently after efforts to trade him failed. This' interesting in that O'Brien appears to be a defense minded coach. Some quick reading shows that some members of the sports media don't consider his departure a big loss, but I'm not so sure. Was Swearinger that bad , or is there something else going on with him (my suspicion)? If DJS, a young player with plenty of potential (which doesn't mean much if it's not reached) and two years of NFL experience, floats around for a while unsigned, I'm going with he has issues.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  20. Borla

What has Brady been caught doing that would count as "past transgressions" to add up to a 4 game suspension?

Here is some context on past "ball tampering" cases.

Last season the Vikings and the Panthers both got caught tampering with footballs. They were playing in the cold, so both teams got caught using sideline heaters to warm up the footballs. It made them easier to grip, easier to catch, and undoubtedly changed the air pressure. The league caught them.

Guess what the punishment was?

A warning.

Two years before that the San Diego Chargers were caught putting a "stick em" like substance on their footballs using towels doused with it. A clear violation. A clear performance enhancement for throwing, catching, and avoiding fumbles. The first time the league got wind of it, they just told them to give up the "stick em" towels. The Chargers did not give up the "stick em" towels, and when the league caught them AGAIN violating the rule, they were punished.

What did they get?

$20,000 fine.

Those precedence are why I think this was totally unfair. It is easy to hate the Pats and Brady on an emotional, 'fan'atical level. I dislike them myself, and have usually rooted against them for the last 15 years or so.

But the league is making a mockery of its own standards here. There are three recent cases of this SAME rule being broken. One team gets a warning for a first offense. One team gets a warning, then a $20k fine for a second offense. Both times there was clear video evidence, and NFL officials present seeing it take place. Both were open and shut ironclad cases. One was a repeat offense. And the worst punishment was $20k, which is in line with the rule book.

Now we have a case where someone "probably" knew, it is a first offense, and it equals a 4 game suspension, $1m fine, and loss of draft picks?

I get haters enjoying it. But I don't think you can remove yourself from emotion, look at the context, and think it is fair. And the larger picture shows us that Goodell is inconsistent, unfair, and continues to bungle high profile cases.

So, as someone who dislikes the Pats, I still think it is very wrong.

I also would wager that the entire penalty (especially Brady's portion, since he has an appeals process available) will not stand. I wouldn't be shocked if Kraft sues using the legal system as well, since there isn't a league mandated appeals process for owners.

• Like Like x 1