1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2015 Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't publicly known before the playoff game, but Burfict had just been fined AGAIN for yet another illegal hit that I didn't know about when I made the post above. In Week 17 he laid out Maxx Williams and got hit for another $50k (making it almost $130k in roughly the last month).

It was suspected that the league would've actually suspended him for the playoff game, but due to the loss on the playoff suspension on the Suh appeal last year, they decided not to chance losing face and just gave him a fine.

Burfict fine for Maxx Williams underscores failure to control him | ProFootballTalk

The end result from this game was a three game suspension to start next year. Which means he gets docked a little over $502k in game checks. There is a Vine video of the Week 17 hit in the link below.

NFL suspends Vontaze Burfict 3 games for hit on Antonio Brown | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Here's a lovely thought that would never stand legally:

Make Burfict and Jones personally pay everybody on the Bengals team and with the organization whatever money they would've received by advancing to the next PO game :cool:.

I'll leave it to @Borla to research/calculate the total :p.
    --- merged: Jan 12, 2016 at 7:32 AM ---

The Houston Oilers still hold the NFL record for blowing the biggest lead, 32 points, ever in a PO game. On 01-03-93 they lost to the Bills 41-38 in OT. Jack Pardee--who stood on the sideline doing nothing while the Bills kept scoring--had the nerve to blame the Oilers' kicker for missing a FG that would've won the game.

The Comeback (American football) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's my understanding that Hoyer now holds the record for the lowest QB rating ever in PO game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

O'Brien fired three coaches (so far). The special teams coordinator was no surprise. One of the firings, receivers coach Stan Hixon, was somewhat unexpected. I don't know if he is at fault for not developing a receiver or two to take some of the pressure off Deandre Hopkins, or if the QB shuffle over the past two seasons made doing so nearly impossible. My guess is a combination of the two.
    --- merged: Jan 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM ---
    Oh, yes, worth mentioning again--Late in the game one of the Chiefs defenders dropped what should've been the fifth interception thrown by Hoyer.

One of the websites I consider to be a major downside to the internet and freedom of speech posted some social media comments directed to/at Burfict. If Burfict lives in/near Cincinnati, it would be in his best interest to take a very long vacation far, far away.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  4. Borla

The committee of NFL owners that handle team moves is recommending the owners allow the Chargers and Raiders to build a new stadium in LA and move there. The owner vote is supposed to be today or tomorrow.

5. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I read somewhere where the owner of the rams is willing to pull an ursay more and leave in the middle of the night

6. Borla

He's been saying he wants to move for some time, so no one in St. Louis should be shocked if they go.

Right now there are actually proposals before the owners for the Chargers and Raiders to build a new stadium AND the Rams to build a second new stadium, and all three teams move there.

I highly doubt that will happen. I'd say it is 50/50 that two teams move there, and about 75% that at least one team does.

7. Borla

8. ralphie250

9. Borla

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  10. ralphie250

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  11. Chris Noyb

I have a difficult time feeling sorry for troubled people who are given special treatment and many chances only because they happen to have athletic ability (that can be exploited). His coaches tried to help him, which is a good thing, but they also knew ( at the very least suspected) that he was a timebomb. They weighed what he could do for them against the violence he was capable of, and hoped for the best.

Maybe the examples of that strategy working far outnumber the failures, but I seriously doubt it.

If he were part of a program where he held a menial job at Nebraska while taking classes there, instead of a star football player with a scholarship, chances are very good he would've been convicted and sent to prison after his first violent act.

12. Borla

Chip Kelly is going to the 9ers.

13. Borla

14. Chris Noyb

I don't really care about the Browns, but will be interested is seeing what Hue Jackson can do as HC. Many reports are saying this means good-bye, little johnny.

15. Borla

My understanding was that Jackson took the job with the condition that Manziel be gone.

16. Chris Noyb

Even if little johnny bounces around the NFL or the CFL for a few years, it's pretty much certain that some members of the Texas A&M alumni, or the university itself, will make sure that he ends up with a cushy job. That deal was probably offered in order to entice him to TAM.

------------------------------------------

This' old news, but here goes...

On the subject of TAM football, two of their QBs jumped ship in the same week, bringing the total to three. One transferred to the Univ of Houston (that was a major slap-in-the-face to TAM). I don't know the ends & outs of college recruitment, letters of intent, scholarships, etc., but I do know that being able to sign "hot" high-shool players is huge. And having them later transfer to another university means trouble.

I've always felt, and said, that TAM HC Kevin "Traitor" Sumlin was only effective with a hot QB, i.e. he can't organize a balanced offense to offset a 'lesser' QB. Which is something the really good coaches are able to do. Is he still considered a 'hot' HC candidate for other schools?

Here's an article from Sports Illustrated.

Murray transfer points to serious issues for Sumlin, Texas A&M - College Football - SI.com

17. Borla

He may get another shot in the NFL somewhere. He probably will at least start camp with someone next year. But if he doesn't make some drastic life changes I can't see him sticking with football consistently much beyond next season.

But you are right, I don't think he's going to be in the soup line any time soon.

18. Chris Noyb

Little johnny might do smart things with his money, and maybe he has some actually job skills outside of football. He might even "make some drastic life changes" and find a place in pro football (I'll refrain from referring the CFL as semi-pro). But something tells me he'll eventually be out of football and end up needing a helping hand; the Texas A&M Alumni network is large, and includes many wealthy & powerful people.

Little johhny wouldn't be the first ex-college player to end as an assistant sales manager at an automobile dealership :rolleyes:.

19. ralphie250

Where will rg3 go

20. Chris Noyb

Given Bill O'Brien's optimistic hopes of finding treasure in trash, I expect to RGIII to at least workout for the Texans. To be fair, other (desperate?) teams will probably want to have a look as well.

@Borla will be able accurately predict which team will sign him ;). :p.

• Like Like x 1