1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2015 Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Feb 19, 2015.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

How many games is Brady suspended for?

[​IMG]

Sorry, I'm just bitter.

I wish the NFL would have some kind of consistency when it comes to dealing with these kinds of things. I was totally surprised by what they handed down, considering how reticent they have been to deal with far more serious offenses.

2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Borla, the punitive penalties for past transgressions (if that what they are) are aimed at the Patriots. Since the league can't make examples of the equipment guys, and it wouldn't have the same impact, they chose to include Brady. Maybe he did make it clear which **special** footballs he wanted in the game(s), maybe he didn't. As I understand some of the news reports, their (in)accuracy aside, Brady wasn't cooperative in the investigation.

As I originally posted, the stiff penalties might be for show:

Was it you who chewed nails and spewed venom over the idea that Belichick was only doing--Spygate--what others teams had been doing for years?

I agree that the NFL needs to be consistent in rules enforcement.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

So how does that rationalize Brady being suspended four games and losing ~$2,000,000 in salary?

Have you read much of the Wells report yourself?

It actually says that the organization as a whole almost surely didn't know what was going on, and that it was "more probably than not" Brady knew.

So "probably" gets you 4 games and $2M, when "definitely" got other teams a warning, or a $20k fine?

Here are two good reads on the topic:

With Tom Brady Suspended, Patriots Losing Picks And Fined, How Long Till Roger Goodell Is Fired? - Forbes

Five reasons why the NFL got the deflate-gate punishment dead wrong | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

I don't remember addressing Spygate here at all. I wasn't even really active on TFP back then. I'm fine with what happened as far as the punishment for it. All teams USED to try to tape each others' practices. It was basically SOP. The league changed the rule, and sent a cease and desist letter to every team. At the start of the period it was going to be against the rules, the Pats got caught, and were punished. I have no problem with it.

I have a problem with this because of exactly what you are saying in your last sentence of the quote above. The league isn't consistent.

The Vikings get a warning for tampering with balls.

The Panthers get a warning for tampering with balls.

The Chargers get a warning for tampering with balls, then a $20k fine on the second offense.

All of those cases included video and eyewitness proof of the tampering.

The Pats "probably" tampered with balls, and they get $1M fine, Brady loses $2M and four games, and they lose multiple draft picks?

That is not consistent. And bringing up an almost decade old story on a completely different rules violation doesn't make it consistent IMO.

4. Chris Noyb

This' clearly a hot topic for you. You posted that you expect the punishments to be overturned or at least reduced via appeal and/or civil lawsuits. My thoughts, now being posted for the third time, are there is a distinct possibility that the NFL took the "hard line" for appearances only, knowing that it won't stand.

I mentioned Spygate for a reason. There were many people who felt that the Patriots, while caught red-handed & clearly guilty, were made a scapegoat, because the league could've pursued other 'lesser' teams as well. The Pats, being a very successful & high profile team, made a good scapegoat. And Deflategate could be more of the same Fair? No. Common in the real world? Yes.

5. Borla

It's not really an emotional topic for me, because I'm not a Pats fan.

As an NFL and a sports fan, I find it pretty intriguing though.

And as someone who is becoming increasingly less fond of Goodell, I think it is just another miscue by him that makes him look inconsistent.

As someone who says you think the NFL needs to be consistent in enforcing its rules, don't the points brought out in those two articles I posted bother you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

I'm not that passionate about the NFL, and I'm not worried about the Patriots. I don't like the inconsistency of the NFL, but I can understand why they chose a team that allows Goodell & Co to beat their chests and proclaim 'Look at how tough we're being!' while giving 'lesser' teams a free pass or a slap on the wrist.

Now if this involved a certain NFL franchise in Dallas..............................

7. Borla

I'm against arbitrarily picking and choosing teams to slap on the wrist and then choosing other teams to go far beyond the rule book in punishing.

If breaking Rule A = Punishment Z, it should mean that for every team.

I'm for consistent enforcement.

• Like Like x 2
  8. snowy

All this does is confirm what I already knew: Roger Goodell is a piece of shit.

9. Borla

He's such a nitwit.

Now he is insisting that HE will hear the appeal, not an independent arbitrator.

Rise 'n Grind: Roger Goodell is determined to make things worse - SBNation.com

If he sticks to that, not only does he look like a power hungry reactionary, it'll end up in court. Where he'll lose.

I'm all for a commissioner who isn't scared of his shadow, but at some point it swings way too far the other way, and I think we're past that now. He's getting close to making just enough bad decisions that the owners are going to remember that they are the ones who are, collectively, his boss. Not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Patriots were probably up to no good. I don't think it was conclusively proved. So my issue is that the punishment is not in line with the other recent cases of ball tampering.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Chris Noyb

So Roger "El Gran Jefe/Pinche Pendejo" Goodell, who supported the Brady sanctions, now wants to judge the merit of the appeal? Rhetorical question--What good is an appeal hearing if the the "new" "judge" openly backed the ruling of the previous "judge" at the time it was made?

Goodell needs to step away and let the released air go where it might.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris Noyb

The latest report says Goodell is wanting more info from directly from Brady, i.e. meeting face-to-face. I'm not a lawyer, but my experience in litigation support tells me that most attorneys would advise Brady not meet with Goodell without counsel being present.

Tom Brady's best shot in his appeal could be turning over texts, emails to Roger Goodell - Yahoo Sports

So it seems that Brady didn't turn over his texts and emails during the Wells' investigation.
    One view is the NFL has no business asking for them, much less receiving and reading them.
    Another view is Brady works for the NFL, and is fully aware of the NFL's control (be it right or wrong) over its players.

If this comes down to a lawsuit over Brady's right to privacy verses the NFL's right to investigate players, the resulting court decision could be huge in establishing boundaries, generous or limited, in how far the NFL can go in investigating its players. Removing the threat of a we-can-do-whatever-we-want investigation would greatly weaken the amount of control the NFL has over its players.

12. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Personally, I think if he dosent let Goodell go through his phone so to speak he is hiding something

13. snowy

Preseason games are underway. Tonight, the Seahawks face off against the Broncos. I've been counting down the days to this game for quite a while now. I'm interested to see how the OL shakes out.

The Titans also take on the Atlanta Falcons in preseason play this evening, and Marcus Mariota will make his NFL debut.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I usually don't pay attention at all during preseason. Earlier today, I remember thinking, "oh, game tonight? Meh. It's too hot for football. I'll get into it next month."

Then my friends were all talking about it, and I started watching, and...oh, hey, I'm actually excited! Pretty sure this is the first preseason game I've ever watched.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Reminds me, got the invite for the TFP fantasy league a few days ago. Should attend to that.

16. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i havent gotten that yet, someone please send me the link
    --- merged: Aug 15, 2015 11:27 AM ---
    nevermind, i found it

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2015
  17. Chris Noyb

It seems that the Hoyer & Mallet competition for the starting QB spot--which won't actually be settled until the end of PS--is still ongoing despite Hoyer getting the nod for today's game. I lean towards giving Mallet as many reps as possible in the PS because he needs them. Hoyer is an experienced QB. If he plays well he shouldn't need more than a one quarter; if he can't get his shit together in one quarter then he deserves to get pulled.

Last year OB had some room for experimenting because expectations for his rookie season as HC weren't high. Unfortunately Mallet's injury screwed-up OB's limited time to evaluate him in real games. His ignoring the QB "void" via the draft & free agency now has OB on the hot seat.

OB clearly wanted Mallet from the start, but the Patriots hung onto him as long as possible. It's now time to see what the big man can or can't do.

18. Chris Noyb

I've never seen Hard Knocks. Anybody have any thoughts on it turned out with the Texans?

-------------------------

So, anybody see any big surprises in Preseason Game One?

I only saw the Texans V 49ers. The biggest disappointment was the Texans S-I-X failures to run the ball into the end zone.

19. snowy

Especially since who are the 49ers this year? Kaepernick and spare parts.

• Like Like x 1