1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2017 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Chris Noyb, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Aaron Hernandez committed suicide this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris Noyb

4. Borla

Though it is far too early to speculate it was anything other than suicide, this afternoon ESPN changed their reporting to 'found hanged in his cell'. Though I seriously doubt it was anything other than suicide, his lawyers and agents are screaming that he never would've killed himself and they want a full investigation.

Some early legal reports are saying that, because his appeal on the murder conviction was still pending, none of the civil lawsuits pending against him will be able to use his conviction against him in their cases. Him dying basically might've protected his daughter/estate financially, or mitigated some of the damage.

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

NFL-related.

I got free tickets to the Washington Valor game last night (DC's new Arena Football League team). I didnt know we had an AFL team! They lost to the Philadelphia Soul, the defending champs. The AFL is down to five teams.

The face of the Valor is Erik Meyer, a 34 yr old journeyman QB who spent a few minutes with the Seahawks and Raiders many years ago but was out with an injury. The backup was another journeyman whose career spanned the Arkansas Twisters and Orlando Sharks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Noyb

I mentioned this in another football thread, but it's worth repeating, Playing For Pizza is a great "light" novel by John Grisham. A Has Been Actually Never Was veteran QB winds up playing (semi-)pro football in Italy.

7. Chris Noyb

Deshaun Watson, eh.

I don't know what to think. I read quite a few draft grading articles, the Texans have received quite a range, from C to A-. So many highly touted rookie QBs have crashed & burned in the NFL.

Looking into my christell ball, I see Watson starting at about mid-season. Unless Savage seriously steps up (or Watson does big time), or seriously falls down.

8. Borla

In three or four years I'll give you my grade on this year's draft. :p

9. Chris Noyb

Wow! You should charge big $$ for that kind of insight!! :D

There might be some openings at ESPN.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borla

Pretty sure they were clearing money off their budget this week so they could pay me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Apparently, one of my former co-worker's kids got drafted by the Bears. He's gonna have a Rude Awakening, this Good Kid :)

12. Chris Noyb

Sports Illustrated isn't thrilled with the Bears top two picks (I have no idea if SI opinion is still considered relevant).

Edit: I might as well add what SI thinks of the Texans' top three picks.

Edit II: Yet again the edit function is screwing up the order of the links, and when editing I can't see them to correct it.

Texans 2017 draft recap: Analysis of every pick
    Bears 2017 draft recap: Analysis of every pick
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 30, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 30, 2017 ---
    To hell with editing, I'll just let this merge.

I seriously don't like the fact that many analysts are giving the cowgirls an A overall for their 2017 draft picks.....in the sense that I hope they are totally wrong.

13. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Joe, man I work with says due to the draft he believes The Raiders will at least make the playoffs.

14. Borla

Colin Kaepernick has yet to sign with any team. Some argue that his skills are the primary reason. Others argue that it his his stance on social and political issues, demonstrated by his kneeling during the national anthem last year and social activism on social media.

Originally he did have a player option for 2017 with the 49ers, which he opted out of. Reports are that he would've been paid as much as $14.4M had he stayed with the 49ers under that contract. Instead he decided to test free agency. Though a few teams have apparently considered him, and Seattle publicly admitted they brought him in to check out, no one has signed him. There is much discussion of whether or not he is black balled from the NFL for now.

What do you think?
    Is he unsigned because of talent, or lack there of? Or is it his social/political stances?
    Do you think he'll have a job in the NFL this year as a QB?

Personally, I think he should've stayed in SF for the final year. I think he passed up a ton of money, and an opportunity to get a lot of playing time, thus showcasing his potential for teams. So this dilemma is one of his own making IMO. Second, I do think he'll get picked up at some point in the preseason, or early in the season. So I think a lot of the commentary is just to fill space during the off season.

I also think his lack of a job is BOTH because of a question about his talent AND his social and political stances. It seems that he is holding out for an opportunity to start for a team. There are 32 starting QB jobs in the NFL. I think any reasonable NFL observer would admit that, at best, Kap is somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as talent and potential for 2017 go. We can all probably agree that he wouldn't walk in and start right away over Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Newton, Wilson, Brees, Ryan, Palmer, Luck, Dalton, Carr, Rivers, Prescott, Winston, Mariotta, Manning, Stafford, or Flacco, right? So that knocks 18 teams out, which only leaves 14 positions available for him, 13 if you eliminate San Francisco for obvious reasons. So for 18 or 19 teams, his social and political commentary is irrelevant, because they don't have a position to even consider him for. Of the 13 left, you could probably argue that a few believe strongly in the talent potential of their QBs over him, so maybe we are talking about 10 teams? And of those 10, I think it's like half and half when it comes to the social/political thing. Even worst case, we are talking about 10 teams that might now want the extra drama? And at the end of the day, I think injuries, poor QB play, coaches wanting to win now, and front offices fighting for their jobs will over rule any of that, and he'll be signed before Week 3-4.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

I think our Seattle Seahawks may sign him, though maybe not in the perfect role of starring QB that he wants. We've had our share of drama over the years with several other players ;) so his social and political stance would likely not be an issue and is in many ways supported by both players and fans.

16. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I know I'm an Oklahoma man, freedom is our right, our veterans live with disabilities and many sacrificed their lives. Left children home without that parent for ever. So Kaps behaviour is disturbing. I don't believe he will be signed unless he agrees to standing. And I just see him warming the bench until an opening comes forth.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Borla

Back in early March he publicly said that he'll stand for the anthem this year. So in theory that shouldn't be a dispute going forward.

Often I'm pretty skeptical and cynical when it comes to celebrities and their social/political causes and beliefs. But I will say this about Kaepernick, he puts his money where his mouth is. He pledged last year to give $1M of his own money to various causes, and so far I believe he is at/above $700k that he has donated. And his website breaks it down in extreme detail. When he gives to a cause, he also just doesn't say "I gave $25k to Popeye's Homeless Shelter", he says something like $5k went to food, $12k went to remodeling a commercial kitchen, and $8k went to refurbishing the dining room, or whatever. Whether someone agrees with all his causes or not, it does appear that he is at least putting in his own personal time to find ones he feels are worthy, then making sure his money is going to aspects of the cause where it can really do something. One example I saw was him paying for thousands of dollars worth of suits to go to a place that helps parolees seek employment once they are out of prison. If they can't afford the proper clothes for an interview, this group helps.

Honestly, I've never been a huge Kap fan on the field. I thought he was overrated when he was doing well. Not that he was horrible, he just wasn't as good as people like Ron Jaworski said he was. I also believed that having Harbough as his coach also raised his ceiling during those seasons. I don't think he'll ever be a good starting QB on a playoff team again. Some of the actions he's taken, like speaking out about the police then publicly wearing little police piggy socks as a statement, are in bad taste or just dumb. But I don't think he's a hypocrite, and I don't think his statements should be the cause of him not getting a job.

• Like Like x 1
  18. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I'm sure you remember that I don't keep up on the inner circle of the NFL,
    however I do believe that any team that signs him could be looking at a reduced or at least a pissed off fan base. Still believe he will be jobless. I'm one form or another.

19. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

All I know is I want 2 things
    I want the Raiders to do well again...without getting hurt at the end. (man, that was a downer)

And I want to beat our reigning champ @Borla with NFL picks. :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

*nods* Nice clean games with good sportsmanship is my hope for the NFL this coming season!

• Like Like x 1