1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011 - 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leto, Sep 20, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Maybe its fashionable in Toronto to be a Leaf fan, and fashionable outside to be a hater.... fashionable in Calgary to dump the team halfway through the season....

2. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

have to agree with Ace... I always thought it was fashionable to like the Leafs - no matter where in the country you were. The exception being if you were a fan of another team. It also seems to be true that pretty much everywhere else hates the city. Again the reason for that confounds me.

Having lived major parts of my life in Kingston, Barrie & Vancouver, the effect is startling. The worst haters seem to be ex-Torontonians who have moved away. Seems that the common complaint is that Toronto likes to think itself as the centre of the universe - not much unlike how Vancouverites think of them selves btw. Which is ironic because so many people of Toronto are recently settle immigrants who have no concept of this conceit.

The feeling is similar to the way Canadians view Americans. Or how Americans view New Yorkers.

PS Go Leafs! - every year we have hope - and this year we will make the playoffs. So will Vancouver, just the Canucks will get to round 3 and then your emotions will be trammeled again while the Leafs will retire to their corner and prepare for next year as a stronger team.. Always Next Year :)

3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

:(our hockey team moved to canada

4. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

It was really shitty to see what happened to the Thrashers, but it is also really good to see hockey back in Winnipeg. Hopefully the community there supports the team long-term and not just in this honeymoon phase where they're new and exciting.

5. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

NHL is now the first sport I've ever wanted to watch on my own. My friends have been playing NHL 11 for awhile and I've slowly learned the mechanics of the game. At one point during off-season, I said "I think I'm going to watch hockey this year." Now, I'm in North Carolina but I'm not pulling for the hurricanes. I'm pulling for the Flyers. My best friend and roommate is a hardcore Flyers fan. Watching the game Thursday night was awesome and watching them beat Boston was awesome.

I might actually be posting in the sports section of TFP now. That's fucking crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. streak_56

another hockey convert....

7. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

B's had a good game against the Lightning the other night. They looked a lot better than the other night against the Flyers. They have a couple young players I'm expecting big years out of. Seguin, McQuaid (Darth Quaider) and Marchand foremost.

8. ralphie250

i agree that its nice to see a team back in winnipeg. down here they were supported some. some people just arent into hockey down here and others are. good lick to the ex-thrashers

9. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Are there many professional hockey teams in the US? Is this league comparable to the NBA in size at all or is there a significant difference?

10. streak_56

The only difference NBA wise and NHL wise... is that the NHL has more than 1 team in Canada, and there are many different teams from many different areas of the US that play.... Phoenix, Florida, New York, California, Denver, Columbus... many more but those are a few...

11. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

12. ralphie250

i know this is off subject, but does anyone know why the montreal expos moved to washington dc? that leaves only one team in canada in the mlv

13. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Money? could be the same reason, in the NHL, that Atlanta Thrashers had to move. Or the Atlanta Flames did. For that matter, why did the Brooklyn Dodgers move? Or the NY Giants?

14. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Man, what a rough game in philly tonight. I thought the canucks were going to tie it up after back to back PPs. Flyers held it off and finished the game ahead. Sloppy play with lots of PP goals, but all that matters is the flyers landed on top.

15. streak_56

The flyers really only have to beat themselves this season. They have an great team this season despite giving up some huge pieces in Richards and Carter. Richards has the best chance of revenge in LA but my Wings has looked decent for an older group of guys.

16. streak_56

First full week of the season is over and there looks to be some surprises...

Detroit, Dallas and Colorado are top in the West, I'm surprised by Dallas doing well but lets not forget that it's only the first week of the season, there are stronger clubs below them that are going to be finishing higher.... Columbus, Calgary and San Jose are bottom, which I'm most surprised by San Jose because they are a better team than their record dictates, here's hoping they move up.

Washington, Pittsburgh and Toronto are top in the East, fricking Toronto, I'm not going into why I hate Toronto but Boston and Buffalo need to step it up... Winnipeg, Ottawa and NY Rangers are the bottom, actually I'm not surprised by any of them, all three teams definitely have an uphill battle, I was hoping Winnipeg would pick up or trade for some higher skilled players but we'll see as the season goes on.

17. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I'm thinking that Washington can make it to the final this year. Just sayin. Toronto? Well they were off to a 4-0 start last year, and fell into a half season swoon before picking it up and becoming pretty near the best team in the league in the second half of the season. This year, while it's too early to say and with a 3 - 0 start, they seem to be continuing from the end of last season. A young, dynamic group of guys with a good locker room. Here's to hoping. So ya, fricking Toronto. It's about time.

I still want to see Vancouver do something this year. And Winnipeg. But I think that team will get a 'by' this season, regardless how poorly they play.

18. Fly

Fly music is the answer

the fcuk happened to vancouver last night..........my god are they sucking hind tit or what.

19. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

No finish... Lots of quality chances, but couldn't put it in. We've got a good squad, but it shocks me how much our D misses Ehrhoff.

20. Jay

Jay Vertical

Go Leafs Go