1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011 - 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leto, Sep 20, 2011.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I'm enjoying the Wings right now.... they seem to be doing good.... staying healthy is the key, nice to see some younger guys rise to the challenge this year. Yeah.... Vancouver sucks, Luongo is shaky because of his confidence issue, no hard nosed leader, I wonder how much Ehroffs stock will rise because of how poorly the 'Nucks are playing/?

2. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I really don't think the 'Nucks suck. They just can't finish, big difference. Also, this may be my Homer-ism talking. I still think we have a good squad who can't quite find the way to execute at the moment. Let's see what's up in February.

3. streak_56

but to pick on another team in that division, Calgary typically has a terrible beginning and come on strong at the end.... but they've missed the playoffs for the past two/three years.... I'm just saying a good start makes things less hectic going into the playoffs.

4. ace0spades

Solid win tonight over Nashville for our first home win of the season, nice to see the Sedins combine for 5 points, and Kesler get his first goal. A strong outing, I hope we can turn out this kind of performance on a consistent basis.

5. streak_56

Schneider is in net and looking good... Luongo is in trouble in my mind. Possible Stanley Cup match up.... Washington vs Detroit....

6. ace0spades

Luongo isn't in trouble. Schneider is, however, causing his stock to rise for when we trade him later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. streak_56

you think Vancouver will trade an over performing backup? even if they go for the same run they did last year? I would keep Schneider, keep Luongo as rested as possible, Vancouver will need him in the playoffs and if they get the cup.... they can trade him in the offseason

8. ace0spades

I guess that depends on what our needs are prior to the trade deadline. In the meantime, might as well take advantage of having a quality backup while we can. He's an RFA after this season though, and he sure as shit won't re-sign with the Canucks. We won't be able to afford him.

9. streak_56

Well... the Capitals spanked my wings...

10. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Capitals are looking good this season, the smackdown they laid on the flyers HURT. The blues had us running around like chickens with their heads cut off. We got back into the game until Bryzgalov screwed up a behind the net pass and let the blues slip an easy one in. The game was lost after that. Flyers started out strong, let's hope they don't let this group of loses cloud the rest of the season.

11. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

Since nobody else has as of yet mentioned it, what do you make of LA Kings' goalie J. Quick recording his third straight shutout of the young season?
    I still don't see the Kings as an offensive powerhouse, neither in their division or conference, but this is just basing off what I've seen them do this October, not what happened throughout all of last year. Still, blanking three different teams is no simple feat.
    I know that there has been increasing talk with every new season that the genera manager and/or head coach would like to have J. Bernier take more of a foothold in sharing the 'tending duties, but it seems that whenever he may get those chances, the established goalie blows the doors off right before the opportunity were to come knocking.

Does anyone else have the recent thought in mind that this could be a similar story to what arose in Boston last year, between Tim Thomas (the primary/incumbent, and eventual '10 Vezina trophy winner) and Tuuka Rask, ("the backup with promise") or is it too early to make anything of this yet?

Also, almost completely unrelated, but when do you suppose the league will look into shifting some teams around, from division and/or conference, in order for me not to continue to see the Winnipeg Jets in the Southeast Division (it's sorta like a decade or more so back, when the Arizona Cardinals NFL football team were a part of the NFC East).

12. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I believe that next season there will be a re-alignment of the divisions so that Winnipeg is playing in a more reasonable theatre. ( I found one of several links discussing this: http://sportige.com/nhl-realignment-plans/ )

The NHL Plans of Realignment in 2012-2013

Despite the fact that the Winnipeg Jets, a Canadian team, located roughly 70 miles north of Minnesota, will play in the Eastern Conference’s Southeast division next year, that absurd situation won’t last long. The NHL execs are scheduled to meet in December, the Board of Governors meeting, and according to media sources and hints thrown by commissioner Gary Bettman, we’re heading towards a realignment in the 2012-2013 season.
    The original Winnipeg Jets played in the NHL from from 1979 to 1996 before moving the franchise to Phoenix, becoming the Phoenix Coyotes. The Atlanta Thrashers, founded in 1999, weren’t exactly the most successful team in the league, both in terms of finances and in achievements - only one playoff appearance in 2006-2007 and an overall record of 342-437.
    A deal to buy the franchise by True North Sports and Entertainment was brewing for a few years now and by May 2011 the deed was done, only a matter of timing of the NHL’s announcement on the matter. That followed soon enough and the team managed to sell season tickets in a matter of hours in a step by step method. When the sale was opened to the general public on June 4, the remaining 6000 tickets were sold in 17 minutes. They’ve been waiting for another shot at an NHL team for a long time apparantly.
    [​IMG]
    Image: Source

Well, back to the time zone and location problem – Winnipeg aren’t the only team “out of its place” in the league. The Detroit Red Wings, Nashville Predators and Columbus Blue Jackets, all part of the Central Division in the Western Conference, are hoping to make a switch to the Eastern Conference.
    With that going on, the NHL is opting to realign the entire league, not just shift the Jets. From a six division league, three in each conference, five teams in each division – The League will shift to a four division plan, two divisions with 8 teams, two with 7. We’ll finish with the words of the commish - That’s a process we’ll go through the first half of next season, looking at the issues that clubs want to raise, looking at various possibilities, and trying to figure out what will make the most sense moving forward.

13. streak_56

Leto.... TSN did a piece on the realignment but I cannot find it on their website... it basically outlined what you said above and the problems associated with it.

But to Jonathan Quick.... the guy has been stellar in LA, hopefully their offensive weapons start picking it up as the need it over the season so the stress placed upon him and Bernier isn't high... I'm a believer in resting your starter for the playoffs if you're expected to make a deep run... The much will be the same for Washington, Pittsburgh (who will be fearless once Crosby is back) and Philly. Vancouver, Kings and Detroit also need to prepare because I think it'll be a unique post season with a lot of younger teams making a run to go deep.

14. MuteyTheMailman

MuteyTheMailman Vertical

I'm just happy that the Canadiens are stinking up the joint lately. And the Leafs, with the exception of the last two games, are doing very well, all things considered. Kessel's on quite a tear lately, which can be a bad thing, because it just means hes due for a 12 game pointless streak soon.

15. Ulf5 New Member

I'm almost sad I didn't draft him for my fantasy team.....almost

16. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Been having a hard time believing that the team on the ice is essentially the same one that won the cup.
    God they are awful so far this season...

17. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

So I know that the Baseball championship is this time of year and that American Football has their holy grail/celebration of advertising interrupted by periodic bouts of football on the field, but what time of year does this Stanley Cup get hoisted by the ultimate victors?

18. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

quick reply: I think it usually happens approximately five months ago, next year. (June)

19. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

Yes, June. I'm already thinking of how we're going to celebrate here in Chicago ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

seamless segue: Well, not to overtly disagree, but I much prefer seeing this sort of a literal celebratory response.

As part of their $35 million upgrade, the Tampa Bay Lightning have installed two Tesla coils opposite the scoreboard that SHOOT ACTUAL LIGHTNING BOLTS when the team scores a goal. No word if the $35 million includes an appearance from David Bowie dramatically walking out from the lightning bolts and then singing the national anthem.