1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011 - 2012 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Leto, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

That is cool. Sometimes over the top visual spectacles are a good thing to offer the fans for how much these professional teams charge for tickets.

2. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

Thats the coolest celebration for a goal ever... My wings have a pretty bad run of things lately, they're on a terrible losing streak.... they gave Columbus their first win.

3. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

You have the regular season which starts in October and then you have the Playoffs which start in April. There's a detailed description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_structure_of_the_NHL but essentially we have the final championship game being played in June.

4. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Leafs Nation: Enjoy this historic moment while you can:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=lea#&navid=nav-stn-league

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Hold onto your hats while we impart the following information: After one month of the 2011-12 season, the Toronto Maple Leafs are perched atop the standings in National Hockey League. This is neither a misprint nor an editorial oversight.

5. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

Blackhawks vs. Canucks on Sunday. This article from an area newspaper sums it up perfectly. (Sorry Canucks fans... actually, no I'm not ;))

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20111103/sports/711039647

6. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

*sigh* I'm too much of a Canucks homer to give up on the team yet. There's enough bandwagon fans in this city as it is. Which team will show up? The one that thumped the Capitals and the Flames? Or the one that stunk up the joint against the Wild and the Blues? Also, fuck Chicago.

7. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

I went to an AHL game on Wednesday. It was kids' day at the arena and the kids stole our seats, so they upgraded us to front row. I can say that the Hartford Whale play exactly like the Rangers: they blew a 3-1 lead and lost 4-3 after an embarrassing power play in overtime.

Sometimes it hurts to be a fan, but it's been in the family as long as the Rangers have been a team.

8. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I'm going to miss the Blue jackets vs flyers game tonight, but I'll be following it on my phone.

Any of you guys ever try out NHL gamecenter's streaming service for hockey games? Being on the road makes it hard to catch games, thinking about signing up for it.

9. ace0spades

WELL THEN! 6-2 part way through the 3rd. Suck it Chicago. I bet this just chaps their asses something fierce... They were pumped for this game, hoping to beat up on a "weak" Canucks team. Anyway, not saying we're a juggernaut, but it's been proven we can execute - especially on the powerplay. Just need to work on our consistency!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

a Chicago homer paper is obviously going to paint the 'Nucks in a bad light. To be expected. I'm far from being a fan of the Vancouver team, but they didn't get to first overall last year for nothing. Things tend to average out over a long season of more than 80 games. So I expect them to make the playoffs again. For them, it's more a question of will than talent.

Maybe that "will" can propel my beloved Leafs into the playoffs this year. For them it's this intangible that is available in buckets, versus the talent department.

11. Carbonic

Carbonic Getting Tilted

That makes two of us... even a Canucks fan should be able to admit that Chicago is better than they played tonight.
    Whether it was will or talent, they still barely missed being eliminated by a team that didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs last year (that would be Chicago), and they had difficulty closing the deal in each series afterward... until they finally couldn't in the end. No doubt the Canucks have talent, I just wish they weren't such a dirty team ;)

12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Leafs are back down to third in the league, though after that absolutely shameful performance against Boston I'd expect nothing less. I had to turn it off after about 5 minutes into the second, and looking at the post-game stats I'm happier I did.

Still, they're only two points behind Pittsburgh, and with the same number of wins at that. Not a bad place to be, even if it is early in the season.

13. ace0spades

I fucking hate Chicago. That being said, you aren't giving your team enough credit just to minimize us beating you last year. If you want to sell your team short, that's your business, but it is kinda sad. You guys have a good team full of awesome talent in an extremely competitive conference. The West is always a toss up in the playoffs, there is a lot of parity and momentum plays a huge role in a seven game series. Also, you make Chicago and Boston sound like teams full of innocent school children who would NEVER throw dirty hits or embellish to draw calls. Who me? Who? Me?

[​IMG]

Not buying it for a second. Every team in the league does what Vancouver does, and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise just because some sportswriters decided to take particular issue with Lapierre and Burrows.

14. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

Looks like the Bruins are finally waking up.
    Scored 2 goals seconds (8, 14 and 29 seconds IIRC) apart 3 times last night and twice (28 and 14 I think it was) again tonight so far.

15. Fly

Fly music is the answer

what Ace said............suck it Shitcago

16. streak_56

talking shit over one game? too bad this isn't the playoffs or you'd be choking....

• Like Like x 2
  17. ace0spades

Sorry, I thought shit talking was allowed in a sports thread, forgive me if I offended someone's delicate sensibilities. Sounds like someone is mad they didn't have the opportunity to lose to Boston ;)

That being said, you're right. It's still early. Even still, fuck Chicago, fuck Boston, fuck Detroit, and fuck Calgary. It's a long season, can't wait to see how things shake out. I'm a Canuck fan no matter what, and to my eyes, Detroit fans are the Yankee fans of the NHL. Insufferably annoying and pretentious, so have fun with that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. streak_56

Jealousy gets you nowhere Ace, just because my team has been the elite team of the NHL for decades now, doesn't mean your nucks won't choke...

19. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Ace, I think you get to talk shit when the Cup has actually be hoisted in your city. You know, in something other than a riot.

20. ace0spades

I will talk shit whenever I damn well please, cup or not. So you're just going to have to deal with it.
    --- merged: Nov 10, 2011 3:06 AM ---
    Also, jealous of Detroit? I live in Vancouver. Bitch, please.

• Like Like x 1