1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

No Children

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mysugarcane, Aug 27, 2012.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Z3 Coupe (E36/8)

Otherwise known as the Clownshoe, I want one. I have always wanted one just didn't want to pay the price for it new @ $40k. You either love it or hate it the moment you see it.

A Clownshoe Crashcourse and Why It’ll be the next E30 M3 (just better)
    --- merged: Sep 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM ---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

look at it from the rear...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Whatever. You guys have all this extra money for fancy cars and fancy adventures. I have enough extra money for Charles Shaw wine to help me cope with a toddler who doesn't like wearing clothes and has a MONUMENTAL tantrum.

OFF.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

That's because you dress her in that horrible Beavers outfit.

She already knows she wants to be a Duck.

5. 1) That's actually a horrible (not really) San Fran Giants outfit that her surrogate grandparents bought her
    2) My daughter shall not be a Duck, a Steeler, a Thundering Herd, a Bobcat, a Cardinal, a Yankee, a Cowboy, a Patriot......or fan of any other terrible, awful team.

6. Rebel CR

Rebel CR Vertical

going back to the oopening post, i've been married but have no children

i left my husband because he wanted children. no pressure was applied by him to have children - he just didn't believe me when we discussed children before and during our marriage

i love kids & kids always come to me but that doesn't mean i want my own. never have, never will because financially, it's hard enough looking after myself & kids know when they're not wanted

7. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

ROLL TIDE!

/mandatory

• Like Like x 2
  8. Her aunt went to Alabama........

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

• Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I got asked by a student the other day as to whether or not I had kids. I said no. Another student added that she felt teachers didn't need to have their own kids, because they have students. I said, yes, I certainly feel like I have sixty kids to look after.

• Like Like x 1
  11. omega

omega Very Tilted

Not the same thing at all. At all. When you decide to walk away from teaching, whether it's five years or retirement, you will be done. You never walk away from being a parent. And you will never have the same attachment. Looking after 60 kids a few hours a day for half of a year has no comparison to actually raising a child from birth. There is a huge difference between marking a kid absent because they are sick and staying up with them half the night because they are throwing up.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

According to government statistics, child support payments and daytime talk shows, you're speaking philosophically and not literally.

• Like Like x 2
  13. snowy

No shit, Sherlock. Nowhere in my post did I say it was the same thing.

• Like Like x 3
  14. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

My kiddo says that same thing.
    She has said that if she marries a woman who wants to carry a kid, she might think about it but that she has classrooms of them and that's enough.

15. omega

omega Very Tilted

Except for the part where you state that one of your students says teachers don't need kids because they have students, and you agree, because as a teacher you have sixty kids to look after. It kind of sucks when your own statements betray you. But I know better than to wait for an apology from your arrogance. I mean eminence.

16. snowy

You read too far into it. Nowhere was it said I was like a parent; it was stated that I didn't need to have children of my own because I have my students to care for, and that's the statement I agreed with. That does not necessarily equate to my students being like my own children, because ultimately, they're not. I get that.

That said, I work in a very different school environment than most people, and for some of my students, I am more there for them than their own parents. Sad, but true. I get a lot of the joy but also the sorrow by virtue of the services my school provides.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Baraka_Guru

My SO thinks along these lines too. I think she likes being able to get away from children at the end of each day, weekend, and break. :) This is not to say she doesn't like going back into the classroom each day.

But I think there is something to be said about a reduced feeling of needing your own children when you work with them full-time throughout a career.

Yeah, teachers often fill in gaps left by parents. Some gaps are more like gaping holes, but what can you do? I've always liked the African proverb "It takes a village to raise a child."

A lot of my own upbringing I owe to various teachers throughout my schooling.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  18. omega

omega Very Tilted

It's a tough job. My dad taught special ed after industrial arts. He used to take his kids rock climbing. Then he got into torts in law school and realized how lucky he was that his kids never got hurt. My mom was a teacher. My sister is a teacher. My stepmother is a retired principal. My bs is in physical education. So I know it's a demanding job. And teachers are underappreciated.

19. Baraka_Guru

And underpaid.

In Canada, starting salaries for public school teachers average around $50,000. After ten years, it's not uncommon for teachers to make between $80,000 and $100,000. The average salary ranges between $70,000 and $80,000, depending on the province.

The average salary in the U.S. is less than $60,000. This is probably due in large part to the fact that the average starting salary is under $40,000.

Is there any justification for this?

20. omega

omega Very Tilted

No real justification. Unless you're republican. And are afraid of edumacation. My sister teaches in Tucson, AZ. With a master's and ten years experience, she makes about 44 a year. It's insane. Boulder valley school district, boulder colorado, a bachelor's first year teacher would start at about 34.