1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

No Children

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mysugarcane, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

And we're not even married.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

It's not limited to family.

3. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

What the fuck does this even mean?

4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Exactly.

5. Xerxes

Xerxes Bulking.

Nobody knows! But it's provocative!

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Considering my relationship history, this is a mystery that remains unexplained.

• Like Like x 2
  7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I don't hold it against them initially. It's the constant and consistent behaviors and actions that I can hold against someone.

You can read the shallowness here:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Well, I am sorry for that. I guess this is phenomena that goes completely under my radar. Still, in the realm of all bias and prejudice, you should consider yourself pretty lucky.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Smells like a formula for success to me. Won't have to worry about all the niceties... get down to the dirty looks and "What now?!"s.

Borla might have fantastic testicles... but I've got the aggravation that'll keep you toasty on those cold, cold Florida winter nights.

Holy shit, is that a can of PBR?! ZombieSquirrel is pregnant with Lordeden's baby! Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I can read the shallowness at a site titled, 'shut the fuck up, parents'? :p

Granted, that talk is stupid, but, like Borla said, with these folks if its not kids then it's going to be some other stupid shit. I decline to be categorized as a parent with parents who use so many exclamation marks.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Well, I can offer 2 daughters as proof that even the most careful birth control is not 100%. I'm as pro-choice as it gets, neither of my daughters was planned or convenient, yet I can't imagine life without them. I'm fine with the decisions my wife and I made 30+ years ago.

Having a couple of kids affected my social life. When I was single, I hung out with single folks. When I was in a relationship, I hung out with other couples, and when I became a parent I tended to hang out with other parents. It's more a matter of practicality, than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

So, at my wedding, we did allow children. At my BIL's wedding, they had the children in a separate space with a babysitter that they paid for. The overwhelming response was that parents preferred my setup--we had an adjacent play area for the kids set up, parents took turns watching their kids, and generally, the kids weren't a distraction at all. They were off away from the adults most of the time, but still in a space where parents could see what they were up to. Part of it is that our larger family is VERY family oriented--some of the cousins were miffed that my SIL didn't understand that.

I can understand not allowing children at a wedding that will go late, has a formal cocktail hour, etc. A wedding day can be a very long day for a young one. I was disappointed that so many of my family had to leave early because of their kids. I would guess it would not have been different if there had been a babysitter, though.

As someone who has worked with children for a long time, who has been a babysitter, I understand how important it is for parents to take time for themselves away from their children. Otherwise they end up like the people above, with their identity completely tied into their children. They forget who they were before they had kids. Personally, if someone said no kids at a wedding, I'd shove my babies off so fast and with no regrets. It's good to have adult time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Stan, I can't really believe that you and your wife unintentionally had two kids, especially following the pro-choice comment.

I guess that's where we're different.

The understanding I have with my current girlfriend is that if she ever gets pregnant, we're hitting the ejection button ASAP.

Back in the golden age of 200x, I was a young married guy and looking forward to starting a family. I was totally interested in blowing magical a load into the gaping maw of my blushing betrothed, hanging her from an inversion table until she turned every sweet shade of purple and then releasing her so we could do a little fertility dance. How that blimp went down is common knowledge. After that, I quickly realized that one of the problems I had with blowing a magical load and making a new human being was that I couldn't really trust any woman enough to be a wife and a mother... it wasn't worth risking my balls or my paycheck for the next two decades. I'm not ready to trust a woman with that. Not yet. Who knows?

I get that a lot parents read my first post then hissed like perturbed alley cats. Understand how it could be taken as Sneetchy snark, assure you it's not.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  14. Not cool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

IMHO - on the note above...I disagree totally with.
    I love kids...period.
    This is me. But I also know that they can be a hand-full and indiscrete due to their pure elemental natures. (NOT elementary...that's different)

I respect that there "may" be certain situations and locations that "may" not be appropriate or desired to have kids around.
    Just like there are times not to shoot guns. (which I'm not against.)
    They can be loud & disruptive. (both guns & kids...although kids don't kill people...but they can make you want to kill people. :rolleyes: )

There's nothing wrong with limiting this...there is no serious discrimination.
    When I'm a parent...I understand that there will be times that I will need to adjust for...and just not be able to go into.
    Kind of like, I as a man...cannot just walk into a Women's bathroom...no matter how bad I want to go. (I don't want to go to jail...or be thrown out)

Those that are throwing the party...or having a particular location...have the right to not allow kids.
    They may be gaining patrons by this rule...but they are also losing patrons...that's their risk, their business model, their choice.
    Just like they couldn't go to my house or a Chucky Cheese...and ask for all kids to go...or to be quiet.

Or if I went into a church during a mass and starting playing a loud boom-box. (yes, they still exist)
    You may have the right to free speech, you don't have the right to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater...or even an empty one.

Everything has it's place.
    Some things in life are inconvenient.
    Including kids.

16. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I'm with snowy. These questions are really kind of superfluous for me. As a parent, I wouldn't take offense at a person's request for me to leave my kids at home to attend their function that they organized and paid for. It wouldn't even occur to me.

BUT, as far as people getting upset over minor imposed limitations that really aren't that important, it's a pet peeve of mine and, again, if it's not kids, it's going to be something else for people who are inclined to get upset or offended about things. Some people are just shitty at dealing with the word 'no.'

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Internet-based, world wide web websites aside, people who are self-important assholes generally are so completely independently of whether or not they have children.

So all of this "so and so is a jerk because he has kids" and "MC Assmaster over there is an asshole because I have kids" business can eat a dick.

A more important question: people who drive beamers, what the fuck is their problem? Why do they always drive like someone just shit on their shoes?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...you drive a Passat, don't you?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mysugarcane

Mysugarcane Vertical

You should ask her someday - ask your other family members. I had friends who kept their mouths shut about my decision for a very long time and then one day how they really felt came out. My family never kept it a secret at how disappointed they were that we didn't want kids either. I have very few people in my life who truly respect, let alone understand, my decision to not become a parent.

You cannot deny that the societal norm is to marry and procreate and we are bombarded with that message every waking moment. Don't even get me started on the "Expectant Mother and Parents with Children" designated parking spots at many local businesses. The message is everywhere. Seriously, if I had my own store, the parking spot right next to the handicap one would be marked "Because You Got Here First"

20. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Plan9, I scoot around on my self-important asshole.

• Like Like x 2