1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

No Children

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mysugarcane, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

There's a world of difference between having the choice and making it.

You carry a weapon. Choosing to use it is a completely separate decision.

Probably a bad analogy; but when the time came to abort or not, we decided that we wanted kids sometime in the future and that it may as well be these. It's a difficult, life changing decision that I think everyone ought to be able to make. I opted against.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Immediately thought of these.

I do? Really? And yes, that's a horrible analogy.

I can respect that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Right, what expectant fathers with children in tow are chopped liver?

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Remind me to never walk barefoot on the carpet in your house.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I had two thoughts when I read this, the first is that there is no we, when it comes to abortion. Once that second pink line shows up the ball is in her court and hers alone. Any input you might have will be by her grace alone.

The second is that just because someone is pro-choice doesn't mean they would ever actually get an abortion. It just means they recognize the right of bodily autonomy, not that they necessarily agree with what anyone might do with that autonomy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

My point was that I wouldn't be in a relationship today with someone that wasn't on the same page as far as "accidental" children.

Sure, it's true I have no control over the scared, hormonal creature that just learned a tiny parasite is growing inside her love holster.

That's the risk you take making sexy time with someone other than yourself.

My, you're just full of common sense. Can't think of any other buzzwords I'd like defined at this moment, but I'll page you after I backup my HD.

Here my point was that Stan himself acknowledged that his wife got pregnant "accidentally" and that wasn't necessarily the best time... twice.

Obviously carrying the children to term wasn't an accident. And obviously it was a good enough time as any since they went through with it.

Here's my obvious statement of the day: We live in a world of options.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  7. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

It's adorable when you condescend someone.

My point was that being pro-choice and and not terminating does not mean that they felt it was a good enough time. It just means that they went through with it.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I've learned from the masters here at TFP.

We're not even arguing debating anymore.

9. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Seems like we're arguing symantics. My wife was on hormonal birth control, at the time. She's an RN, was very religious and calculating about taking her pills. Go figure, the prescription that had the least side effects for her didn't stop sperm from meeting egg. So ya, she got pregnant despite being on the pill. #2 was a different prescription, equally ineffective, it seems. Tubal ligation works much better for us. :)

I'd define pro-choice exactly the way the words imply. We had a choice to get an abortion, both times. We chose not to exercise that right; but I strongly believe that everyone ought to have the ability to make that decision for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I'll try to explain it again, though I might end up defining a word or two. I hope that it doesn't offend you too much.

It's possible to be pro-choice and morally opposed to abortion.
    Or in favor of drug legalization but against actually using drugs.
    Or in favor of your right to gamble but against you pissing away your family savings at the track.
    Or in favor of the right to run out on your kids but morally opposed to deadbeat parents.

And that's because being pro-choice only means being in favor of the right to have an abortion. Try reading this one again. It's entirely possible for a person to find themselves in a situation where despite a worthy effort they end up with children because, even though they're pro-choice, abortion isn't an option they're personally willing to consider.

Which means it is not the case that just because a person is pro-choice and has a kid that they wouldn't have preferred just as strongly not to have it as a person who actually went and got an abortion.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hektore, for fuck's sake... I understand--with crystal clarity--what you're saying. I always have. And nobody is reading this drivel.

Do you have any useful parental anecdotes or are you going to don your bars and continue playing Captain Obvious?

Are we done playing the "my opinion rules, your opinion drools!" game here or should I summon up UsTwo?

Fuck me. Somebody moderate this mess.

12. Mysugarcane

Mysugarcane Vertical

Ok, I will. Can we get back to the OP please? I never intended the question to start a debate about kids vs no kids. I simply wanted some feed back from kindred spirits - people who chose not to have kids. Frankly, I'm not sure why people with children have felt the need to chime in on this one. The question doesn't apply to them technically and all I've read is "didn't think I did, but once I had them...blah blah blah" that was the same logic most of my friends and family tried to use on me. I don't doubt that they are very happy with how their life turned out and I'm happy for those people most definitely. It just wasn't for me.

Oh btw Plan9...I think I love you LOL. Your posts always make me smile and laugh my ass off oh and think sometimes too. ;) Thanks for being you.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I though about it but the first jokes that entered my mind involved the cabin in the woods and either you becoming a uni-bomber type guy or the victim of some red neck and end squealing like a pig ala' Ned Beatty.

14. snowy

A tip for the future: everyone will reply, regardless of their situation, unless you make it explicit that you are only looking for replies from certain groups of people. This is how TFP works. We all have opinions and generally like to share them.

• Like Like x 4
  15. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't have to ask my family members because we are a very open family and we don't invest very much in tradition. I can tell you without a shred of hesitation that my mom and dad couldn't care less whether my sister has children.

I am sorry that your family places these expectations on you and I am sorry that you feel society places these expectations on you. But I can't help but feel that the pressure starts primarily from within your own families and is projected out onto a world in which most people happen to procreate. And, for those that do, it's a pretty big deal. Perhaps if you weren't feeling so much pressure internally, you wouldn't see these external expressions and celebrations of parenthood as a personal affront.

16. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

As someone in their mid-30s, and who married very young and has had plenty time to procreate, I feel very little pressure to have kids. My parents and family have applied zero pressure, in fact they make it clear that they are ok with our choice. My wife's parents used to hint and ask years ago, but as soon as my wife's younger sister started having kids they stopped bugging us. For a while, several years ago when we were in prime baby-making age, a few workmates and friends asked if we were planning on kids, but no one ever made any serious attempt to make me feel like we were outcasts for deciding not to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. snowy

It's a conversation I have over and over again. A bar buddy of mine asked me a few months ago if I minded if he asked a serious question. I said, shoot. He said, "Are you going to have kids someday?" It was funny coming from him--he and his wife chose to never have kids. We had a long conversation after he asked the question, and a few weeks ago I sat down with him again and expressed my fear that my husband and I are having so much fun just the two of us that we might not ever want to bring someone else into the equation. I doubt that will come to pass, but I have been genuinely surprised by this gradual change in sentiment in myself.

It'll happen or it won't happen. I'm kind of ambivalent about it these days. I suppose that could change in the future. We'll see. I feel pressure from my mother-in-law sometimes, but she's really the only one in my immediate family. My own mother is very supportive of whatever we decide.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Actually, I've gotten the opposite opinion on children from people often...for me and my wife.

Since we have gone through what we've gone through with her auto-immune syndromes,
    and everything that has gone on with this...and being honest, everything that may come,
    some have said, "you shouldn't have kids" or "why would you want to have kids?"

Well, it's kind of like the premise of the film "Idiocracy"
    where people who have no clue, end up having kids...and raising them with the same cluelessness and lack of care.
    And others which are more sophisticated...end up not having kids as time goes by...for one reason or another, with excuses and rationalization...

At least here, there are people who are doing one way or the other with full acknowledgment or intent.

I know I've wanted to find someone for me...and them to want me...and to have a family.
    It took me 35 years to find that someone...(ok 17 years, from 18 yo but who's counting :rolleyes: ) ...and time moves on.
    Mother Nature doesn't care, you've got to do it...when you can do it.
    We've been through our challenges...maybe more than others, maybe not.
    But we both want children...and with honest insight and responsibility...we're deciding to move forward, with effort.

My sentiments here are the SAME as those for people who don't want kids.
    It's cool, either way. And NOBODY else has ANY say in the matter. It's not their fuckin' business, even their parents or BFF's.
    No one should say, don't or do.
    It's your life, your choice.
    Period.

Life would be a whole lot more sane if others would keep their friggin' opinions, agendas and biases to themselves.
    IMHO ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mysugarcane

Mysugarcane Vertical

I respect that everyone has opinions that's what makes this site so interesting, but I've noticed that threads get way off topic sometimes. I thought my questions were pretty straight forward. I will consider your advice the next time I think about starting a thread. Thanks Snowy!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Hey, don't thank me, I'm on the payroll.

Cynth pays me to keep the site stats up.

Checks are made out to "Dr. Friction."

• Like Like x 1