1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

No More Nicknames?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by afragilesheep, Mar 25, 2015.

1. afragilesheep

afragilesheep New Member

Over the last few years, I've seen a growing trend of children who's parents insist on using full first names versus the well known nick names: Matthew instead of Matt, David instead of Dave. The one parent I asked simply said she preferred the full name (which I don't believe is the whole story).

Does anyone know why parents are increasingly against nicknames? Why is it wrong to be known as Matt?

My commonly used name has always been a nickname and I don't see the benefits of using my full first name except in legal documentation.

2. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I have a name that can easily be shortened to a nickname as do both of my brothers.
    My mom always called us by the names she gave us and I was never comfortable with the nickname, my brothers are the same way.
    We're all GenX at least so I don't think it's that new.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a nickname per se.
    But in a way it's that whole power of names thing.
    You choose you name, mine is the full version not the nickname.
    I've been using redravin for so long it would be less weird to us that.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

My name isn't easily shortened to a nickname, I go by it.
    My sister's name does have an easily shortened nickname, but she chooses to go by the full name.
    My brother's name has an easily shortened nickname, and he's mostly went by the shortened version.

I'm at the age now where many of my friends have kids. Running through the list in my head, I'd say that most of the names that can be shortened are shortened a large portion of the time.

Though I do agree with the perception that, for lack of a better term 'adult sounding names', that had fallen out of fashion are now coming back.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I don't see this trend at all, and I work with a LOT of under-18s in a profession where I have to keep track of preferred nicknames. At one school, we have several kids that go by initializations of their first and middle names...but that may be illustrative of where that school is located.

My name really only shortens into one nickname, and yes, my friends and family call me that a lot.

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've never thought of shortened name as a nickname.

Howard...Howie...Fruit Loops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

The only time I've seen this is from my sister-in-law. She started years ago that people should stop calling her by the shortened version of her name and only use the full name. When she and my bother had children she insisted the same for them. God help it if you refer to her son by his easily shortened name. He doesn't care at all and he's in his twenties now. I find it odd and silly, but I'm not in her head... thank God.

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Some people tend to use the shorter version of my name. Not thrilled by that, but it does not really bother me either and I will respond to it. I switched to using my full name when I was 14 and never give the short take personally.

8. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I've always been fascinated by names and naming, and I think a distinction can be made between a diminutive and a nickname. Chris or Topher are Christopher diminutives. If he's called Yogi or Spud, now that's a nickname.

My grandpa, named Eugene, was always called Swede. His firstborn, Eugene, Jr. was always called Junior. Swede's been dead for fifteen years now, Junior's in his mid-sixties, and everybody still calls him Junior. Junior's son, my cousin Eugene III is called Jerry, for a reason that no one seems to know.

I think that kids sometimes like to choose their nicknames. My given name is Sophia. I've hated, loathed, and despised it for as long as I can remember. At about age twelve I started asking to be called Lindy, a diminutive for my last name, and it's stuck. If someone asks for Sophia on my phone, I know immediately that it is a telemarketer or the sheriff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Umm, get a lot of calls from the sheriff, Lindy?

Personally I've always been very found of the name Sophia.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My mom's name is a shortening of a woman's name, but it is not a nickname. It's also unisex. As a kid, anyone calling for the long version got hung up on, and any mail addressed to Mr. got dumped. My dad goes by a nickname version of his name, though that name can also be a not-nickname, as his birth name was not very American in the 1950s. Now it sounds normal!

11. Chris Noyb

I've never had a problem with the diminutive of my full name, but I've known people who hated having their name shortened. Two of them were named Michael.

One guy made it a point to say "My name is Michael" as many times as needed to stop people from calling him Mike. I used that has nickname, in my mind not to his face, I referred to him as Mike "My name is Michael" Hislastname.

The other Michael Not Mike I knew in college was in his late teens/early 20s but looked about 12 (he only needed to shave once a week, if that often). He really struggled with finding himself. Girls ignored him sexually speaking because he looked like a 12 year old boy, and quite a few gay guys didn't ignore him for the same reason.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  12. afragilesheep

afragilesheep New Member

Based on the response, I'm assuming that this is nothing more than a personal preference. I had assumed that this was a new trend in naming since all of my experiences had been with the children of adults I know. That perception changed when I met an adult named Peter who hated it when people shortened his name.

All of my children have names that can be and are usually shortened to their diminutive version. They all have no problem with it now. I'm interested to see if that changes as they become adults.

13. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am okay with the shortening of names -- James to Jim, Robert to Rob or Bob, etc. --whatI don't like is the infantilizing of names -- James to Jimmy or Robert to Robbie.

I am also okay with actual nicknames. We have a few too many Mikes in our office, one is Mike, another is Swedish Mike or just Swedish, and the other is Jacko, a diminutive of his last name.

• Like Like x 1
  14. omega

omega Very Tilted

My stepfather is a III. His grandfather was Charles. His father was Chuck. His initials are CAP so he became Cap. I use my full name, not the easily shortened version.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Jimmy or Robbie may have been bestowed upon a boy when he was an infant, and just stuck. Or Jim and Rob(b) already claimed by the father.

Or there may be some relation to languages with gender inflections. Which is why even in English so many girls' names will end in a vowel, most often an 'a'.

I worked at a place where the office manager was named Hank. When they hired a salesman also named Hank it caused great confusion with phone calls and messages. So Hank the newer had to revert to his given name of Henry, at least at work.

16. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

My name is unisex, short and not really nicknameable - but damn if people didn't try by adding an -sie or -ski -ster to the end of my name. Not so much anymore. But it was so annoying.

17. Chris Noyb

I also have problem with adult males (I don't see it so much with females) infantilized names, but if the person is OK with it then so be it. It just one of my quirks. And actual nicknames are fine as long as the person doesn't mind (I'm not sure that a large person really wants to be called Tiny or Slim).

When I procured records for litigation I ran into situations where people, usually men, were so well known by their nicknames, after decades of use, that folks had a hard time remembering their actual names. "Michael Smith? Hmm, let me think. Oh, you must mean Junior. We called him Junior because his uncle was already named Michael, Big Mike."

• Like Like x 2
  18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

To be clear, I am fine if someone really wants to be called Jimmy or Billy. I still think it's an odd choice for an adult but whatever.