1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nobody violates the NCAA rules like the U

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Perfxion, Aug 17, 2011.

1. http://sports.yahoo.com/investigati...miami_booster_details_illicit_benefits_081611

In this story convicted Ponzi schemer, Nevin Shapiro, spills his guts and rats out the entire football program at the University of Miami. 72 players past and present, 7 coaches on staff past and present, current and former athletic director, and school president all sighted to know about this and playing a roll. This story has many calling for the death penalty to be used on the school. Last one used was on Southern Methodist University back in 1987. The result was one forced shut down season, one canceled season, and 20 years of irrelevance in college sports.

So see if we can get a discussion going on, should the NCAA drop this atomic bomb on the U? How much money would this cost other schools they play? 7 teams would also feel the wrath of this as they would have lost revenue home games due to it being so late to fill the schedule. This might change conference lays outs due to them might not having a team for close to 3 to 5 years.

Sad irony lost in all this the university of Miami has the 3rd best graduation rate of all Division 1 BCS and FBS football schools. Only Army and Navy boast better records than this school.

2. Sports talk around here is taking an "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin" tact. I don't buy in to that.

Miami's alleged violations differ from the USC and Ohio State cases in terms of scale and timeframe. It appears they have been doing it bigger, for longer. The reason the death penalty is in the discussion is that Miami is a repeat offender, and may be valid.

If this happen back when the U was a dominant program, playing to a national audience every week, there would be more economic pressure for a more lenient action from the NCAA. I the current climate, on the heels of USC, OSU, (others?), I wouldn't be surprised to see the NCAA jump on Miami with their full weight.

What program will be the next to go down?

3. If the NCAA was going against moral issues, Florida would be next with 36 arrest on their football program from 2005 to 2010. Which is double the arrest the ENTIRE NBA has had from 2000 to 2010. Another school that might get the hammer would be North Carolina with its team having so many players cheating on test with coaches in the know.

Right now the NCAA has a complete mess on their hands with DI football.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

If the NCAA doesn't give them the death penalty it is a clear sign that they basically aren't willing to do so for anything.

5. sbscout

sbscout Getting Tilted

Shut 'em down for a couple of years. SMU has never recovered from their death penalty, maybe Miami will. Regardless, it's the right thing to do.

6. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I use to go to OSU.... I definitely was pissed at Tressel, he saved the program and destroyed it with his tenure... but I think that "cheating" in the NCAA is more common... getting caught is another issue entirely.

7. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

I doubt that the NCAA will use the death penalty because they're afraid of what it would do to the actual school and to the non-athletic students (hell, non-football athletes). If something else comes to light, like Donna Shalala getting caught on the record that she knew all about the hookers, I might be wrong, but the death penalty devastated the academic institution that was SMU. Enrollment dropped, they lost out on grants, and the overall university suffered. Effectively, the death penalty is a nuclear option - once you drop the bomb, nothing's left. They'll do something on a smaller scale that won't have as many repurcussions, like yank 30 or 40 scholarships.

8. If you yank 40 scholarships, that is like 2 classes worth of players/students. May is well at that point drop the a-bomb. The most they might do is 3 year bowl ban, black out on rev money, send that money to other ACC schools who have to deal with this. 10 scholarships yanked.

If they drop the A-bomb on the U, the whole BCS landscape would need to change.

9. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Yeah. As much as it's tempting to punish the fuck out of the people who did this, there's no way to punish them without punishing thousands of students and staff who had literally nothing to do with this clusterfuck of a fiasco. I don't think the "death penalty" is a reasonable solution to the problem, simply because it does far too much collateral damage.

10. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

That's just how it is with college athletics. We had some shady shit going on with athletics, although there were enough women willing to help out in whatever way they could that they didn't hire any hookers as far as I know, but if a talented prospect wanted a few bottles of booze, a few grams of coke, and a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead to share it with, they would almost certainly be obliged. A guy I know was the one who was in the Rolodex for when someone needed any kind of alcohol at any time of day and needed it within the next hour, so he gave me some insight into what college sports recruiting is really like.

As long as sports are a source of revenue, breaking the rules and trusting everyone to keep their mouth shut about it is going to happen, just like pushing the rules as far as you can without outright cheating is part of the tradition of professional sports.

11. Yeah, when schools like Texas, Florida, Ohio St, Alabama, and USC are all making well over 25 million a year just in TV revenue for the football program, cheating, lying, and stealing are just a part of the game. There is too much money to be left on the table. That is why these last few years seems like there a major problem with every major program. Where it just a major problem of the schools and the students making too much money illegally to worry about any rules.