1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nominate Awful Beers for my Research Project

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Plan9, Jun 11, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Yeah, I only checked off what I could remember. I'm sure there's more than that. Some of those beers aren't available here, so that might be part of it. I don't really regret that, though!

2. OWN YOUR SHITTY BEER LOVE PEOPLE! It's a beautiful thing! Don't be ashamed.

3. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

V - I - E - N - N - A
    That's Old Vienna,
    The Happy Lazy Lager Beer

(everybody sing now!)

It's got Life
    It's got ZEST !
    Old Vienna
    It's the BEST!
    The Happy Lazy Lager Brew
    !

[​IMG]

Oh yeah. (here's the jingle I remember):

--- merged: Apr 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM ---
    My vote for lousy beer:

Corona.

[​IMG]

It just doesn't taste like beer.

period.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm breaking my own rule--I haven't read the entire thread.

In no particular order since they all really suck. I left off the Light versions, except in one deserving case. I've forgotten many of the lousy beers that I've tried (repressed memories?):

Lone Star.
    Lone Star Light. In the name of Silenus, why make a shitty beer taste even worse?
    Stagg. Made by Lone Star IIRC.
    Pearl.
    Old Milwaukee. Stale Schlitz would be a more truthful name.
    Olympia.
    Heidelburg?/Old Heidelburg?.

And a cheat, because this beer ain't too bad as long as you chill it to near freezing.
    Do not, repeat, DO NOT let it get warm.

Milwaukee's Best.

5. Stan

Stan Resident Dumbass

Nobody OWNS shitty beer, you just rent it for a while.

I will totally admit to having zero standards when drinking free beer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Cue snooty Frenchman voice.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I can say I've had none of those - Oz has a fair pile of it's own crappy beers though, of which I've had many :(

8. So here's my take.

You could have TRIED these beers. It doesn't necessarily mean you LIKE them. I believe you need to at least try a so called shitty beer to know what the perception of shittiness is when it comes to beer. You could try them and say, "That is terrible. My mouth hates me now." You could also say, "That's not really that bad. If I wanted to get drunk for very little money, I would drink this in large quantities."

It's like in high school when all the cool kids say that Billy sucks because he's so weird that you start to think yourself that Billy sucks. Then you start getting to know Billy and you find out he's actually kind of ok. You don't want to hang out with him all day every day, but the occasional time together really is kind of fun.

Don't be a jerk to Billy because the cool kids think he sucks.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'd only tried 5. I'll admit to being a beer snob. I didn't really drink beer until my mid to late 20s, so I missed out on the cheap beer parties.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Update: It seems like all my project threads get sidetracked thanks to my work schedule.

I will attempt to focus for the next couple weeks and produce a hilarious write-up.

I had one of these on a recent business trip. It was actually pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Now I want actual banana bread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Banana bread beer is awesome in a half and half with Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Or chocolate peanut butter beers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

That makes me think of the 'dessert' drinks at TGIF.

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Ha ha... they challenged me to come up with half-and-halfs for several beers at J.P. Henley's in St. Augustine. There was this incredible peanut butter-chocolate beer that was a special brew by Dogfish, I think. It really only smells like it, with a hint of PB and a little warmth from chocolate notes. More like a brown ale. The Banana Bread beer really has a funky taste, but smells like bananas. I don't like sweets much, but these beers, when done well, make a nice 8 oz "dessert."

15. Chris Noyb

At one time Houston and several near-by (which doesn't mean near-by except in Houston) towns had many brewpubs. That fad/trend died fairly quickly. I don't how many are around now. Anyway, at the one in Rice Village (Village Brewery?, long since closed) I tried a raspberry stout that surprised the hell out of me. It was really good.

16. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

9/50
    I guess that comes from being raised in a family that drank Guinness, never could stomach the cheap stuff after that.

I do remember the days when Millers came in 8 packs of shorties that you could gun down.
    Damn those were good on a hot day.

And if you thought the straw-ber-ita and mar-ber-ita was an awful idear.
    Check out what Colt 45 is doing along those lines.
    If you know that Colt 45's tag line is "Works Every Time", I'd have to say that these should say "Tastes like cough syrup mixed with malt liquor so you try date rape only to have her heave psychedelic vomit all over you that will stain your clothes forever, which you deserve, you douchnozzle."

[​IMG]