1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics North Korea: Successful rocket launch raises nuclear stakes

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Well, Kim Jong-Un was successful in what his father had failed to do: successfully launch a long-range rocket. So now we know North Korea knows how to launch a long-range ballistic missile, and now they have an orbital satellite.

This has pissed a number of people off, even China.

What to do?

North Korea (essentially a rogue state) has threatened pursuing nuclear capability for a while now, and here we are. We've seen the tech for a "delivery system" in action.

While fretting over Iran and their suspected nuclear program, here we have crazy North Korea with god knows what capability, and god knows what future capability.

Isn't this just what we need? A place like North Korea with a nuclear deterrent.

Some are calling this a provocation, and I'm sure many would certainly not like to see a fully nuclear capable North Korea.

What do you think is going to happen in the coming months?

There are a number of risks here: a) desperate and isolated regime doing something stupid, b) a failed state letting the wrong tech get into the wrong hands, c) the region and beyond seeing other players getting bolder with their own nuclear ambitions.

North Korea's nuclear and missile programs - World - CBC News

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

North Korea launching a rocket is the global political equivalent of Paris Hilton flashing her twat "accidently".

And as Paris is "independent" of her family, so too NK is independent of China.

They're just looking for enough attention, so they'll get some need publicity and justify its existence in its current "productive" state.