1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nothing wrong with a Good Nap.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Charlatan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Related to the afternoon nap is the idea that we don't have to sleep the whole night through. I recently read a little about the history of sleeping. It turns out that our ancestors (at least in the West) would have two sleeps -- a first and second sleep. The nightly sleep would be interrupted by a period of being awake, where stuff would get done (reading, baby making, etc.). I kind of like this idea.

Read about it here: Your Ancestors Didn’t Sleep Like You - SlumberWise

• Like Like x 1
  2. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I ended up doing this last Friday. I went to bed at six in the evening, woke up at 9 and watched TV for a couple hours, then went back to sleep until 6am. It seemed to work pretty well for me.

3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I (almost) never nap. And i usually feel like crap the rest of the day when i do.

Naps just aren't for me.

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Vertical

I too am a fan of the nap, and take them quite frequently. I am known for staying up far too late every night, and then being rather tired the next day, so that nap is necessary to get me through without wanting to hurt someone. I have heard of companies having a "nap room" but quickly shutting them down as people were using them for romantic encounters instead, so perhaps this is why more companies do not have such rooms.

5. absorbentishe

absorbentishe Vertical

Morning, afternoon, evening, naps are awesome! Love the lazy days when a nap is taken, you feel so good after. Now if I could do it at work, I'd probably get more done at home!

6. snowy

Just had a 5-minute powernap around 8pm because I had a headache. I'd kind of intended to just go to bed, but my nap-fu is too strong. I fell asleep for about 2 minutes, just long enough to have a dream about working with an instructional assistant.

7. Charlatan

I need a nap right now. Sadly I am in the middle of a dept. store.

8. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I love to nap, but have to be careful or ill be up all night (like now). I have used a nap app that's set for 28 minutes. I find when I do utilize the app I feel rested enough, but it doesn't screw my normal sleep schedule up. I believe it's called NAP28.

9. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

You could always take a nap in a changing room, or under one of those circular clothes racks.

10. Steam Heat

Steam Heat New Member

I used to nap regularly. Then I got a full-time job, which I am contemplating quitting so I can go back to my proper napping lifestyle. Seriously. This 'work' stuff is for the birds. *grumble*

11. Charlatan

This is why all offices should have a nap space. I just found that we have a nursing room. It's rarely used. I wonder if I could usurp it for naps?

12. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I had a wonderful 8 minute nap on my last break early this morning. Since then the less said the better. As long I get 6-8 hours every 2 days I muddle through somehow.
    --- merged: Sep 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM ---
    Speaking of sleep, looking forward to a hot date with some actual sleep tomorrow afternoon. Only 20 or so hours to go....woo hoo! Might be a bad sign when a 10 minute nap is the highlight of your day.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  13. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

If you're lucky, you might wake up and find yourself being nursed. Eww?

14. Charlatan

Just had a nap on the 45 minute flight to KL. Feel much better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Love my naps.

And anyone that says otherwise can take a flying leap...

16. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Is it too soon for a nap?

17. snowy

Nah.

18. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I have a cot in my office.
    I am a napper. I readily admit it. People know this about me and we joke about it. The duration of my nap depends more on the fuel I have given my body than the amount of sleep I got in previous nights.

19. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

I did not get my nap today. :(

20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Accidental 3 hour nap today. What a luxury. After the stress of the last two weeks and subsequent sleep issues, it really helped.

• Like Like x 3