1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nudity among Family

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Aug 13, 2014.

1. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

We've had quite a few discussions recently on public nudity.
    But what I'm curious about is how your family handles nudity at home.
    Are you ever naked around your children?
    Were your parents ever naked around the house?
    Do your children ever walk around naked?
    How much nudity is permitted in your home?

Motivation for this thread...
    I mentioned to someone that my little family does everything together on the weekends, that weekends are a special time for us. So I guess they decided to start pushing and asking what kinds of things I plan on doing with our weekends, since we're always together, and how far that togetherness goes... when they asked me if we shower together, "Of course. All the time." They looked at me like I had three heads.
    I'm just wondering what you do... and what's "normal" in your experience for nudity among family at home.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

My kids did the normal type of nakedness when they were wee little things. Especially when a diaper is the easiest outfit to leave them in on a warm day.
    Now my answer to those first three would be 'no'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

We have discussed this. Right now, Little Levite is between 1 1/2 and 2, so we both feel OK about being naked in front of him. When he turns two, we're both going to start phasing out full nudity in front of him, with the idea that it no longer ever happen after he's three. We're fine with being on our underwear, or me being shirtless, but we both think full nudity should cease after age three. If it happened by accident, we wouldn't have a wiggins or anything, but we will try not to be casually nude in front of him. We're just not nudists in that way. Right now, he doesn't get to run around naked because he needs a diaper. Once he's toilet trained, if he wants to spend some time naked, he can do that if he feels comfortable with it, as long as it's just us (not when guests are over, or in public, etc.)-- we don't want him to be ashamed, just socially appropriate.

As for my parents, they were never naked in front of me. I sometimes wonder if they were ever actually naked in front of each other.... Mrs. Levite's parents, same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I showered with my mom until I was old enough to bathe myself, probably about 4-5. I did not like to wear clothes as a kid. I spent my entire 3rd birthday naked because it was a pool party and I'd given all my swimsuits away. No biggie. We need to remember that we are viewing nudity through the filter of adulthood; children see bodies in an entirely different way than we do. I don't know that I would deliberately be naked in front of my future children once they were over 3. I would certainly allow my children to be naked. I stopped going naked so often once I was in school. My mother is very modest and never went naked around the house; she says it's because her mother went naked ALL THE TIME so she never wanted to be like that. I can understand that. I'm definitely not going to be like my grandma. My dad was never naked after I was about 2, but he would lounge around in very small shorts (it was the fashion in the 80s, y'know).

As an adult, I enjoy being naked and often lounge around my apartment in the nude. No swimsuit? No problem. I hope my children end up with the same casual attitude. I want them to view their bodies as something they're comfortable with, not something to be ashamed of, nor something inherently sexual, either.

• Like Like x 4
  5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with casual, non-sexual nudity around children. A young mind will not be scarred if a child sees their parents naked. It only gets weird if you make it weird.

How and when nudity is appropriate in private is something I think every family needs to figure out for themselves. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable dictating to someone else whether it's appropriate to bathe with their children. But some people think it's appropriate to project their own hangups onto others; so it has always been.

• Like Like x 4
  6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I have 3 little girls and I have become very adept (or so I think, maybe I should ask if I am really as slick as I think I am) at not exposing myself to them, while staying casual about it.
    I have even figured out how to go from a cycling jersey and bibs to regular clothing without exposing my boy parts.
    Ours love to run around naked. Ages 6 and 4. Especially when we go swimming, or around bath time at home. No biggie and I am glad they enjoy it so.

• Like Like x 3
  7. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

2 boys 8 and 10 in our place - the bathroom doors (theirs and ours) are rarely closed, the boys will often run from shower to downstairs carrying the pyjamas so they can dress in front of the heater. I think you just need to relax and do what you want. I'm with Martian, it isn't going to kill kids to see nudity. I don't go out of my way to take my pants off, but I'm hardly worried about them walking in.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

We are very modest around our house, and our families of origin were the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

When my kids were younger, clothing was optional in the house. As my daughter got older (age 3) it was no longer an option for me. My wife, however, still stays naked -- even around my son.

I'm less comfortable with it, I guess.

Both kids, until they were about 4 could not be kept in clothes during the summer.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

As a red-blooded American male, nudity always has sexual connotations and thus I am only naked around my current sex partner.

My parents were never naked around me and I was glad. And I'm pretty sure most people feel that way about their parents.

Don't recall ever being instructed to don pants but I'm of the Mark Twain philosophy*: You need 'em to be taken seriously.

If you're without crotch-covering, it's either post shower or flirting. Sitting around naked-naked for no reason is weird.

From a manners perspective and a hygiene perspective. The logic being "Hey, don't rub your butthole on my couch."

I will never have children so it won't be an issue but I wouldn't be naked around them purely for safety reasons.

It's bad enough they're at crotch levels with all their knees and elbows, ready to pommel my junk.

After seeing what children do to dogs and cats, I refuse to allow them to yank my tail.

* "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  11. snowy

I always put a towel down. ;) I like to air dry after a shower as it keeps me from being itchy.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

My parents were never really overtly naked in front of us. Even now. But, my brother showered with my dad until he was 6 or so because he has severe ADHD and couldn't bathe himself properly. After several UTIs as a young kid, they gave up having him clean himself until he could prove it. Around the time that he announced that my dad's "weiner" looked like "ALF" (he's uncircumcised) they started phasing it out, lol. But, we were never taught one way or another about it. I teach the kids I work with that naked is for at home. And private parts are for parents, doctors, and themselves only. After discussing it with parents. Whatever floats your boat and as long as your kid isn't being nekkid at school or playing outside in the dirt (infection control!), who cares?

• Like Like x 4
  13. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

There is something a little funny in 6-7 yo boys running around the backyard showing the willies to each other and laughing. As parents if you make a big fuss about it, I think it just makes them more likely to do it. At least for the boys that were in my backyard, it was a passing phase.

14. snowy

This is true about a lot of things with children.

• Like Like x 2
  15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, this has been on our minds a lot recently (hubby and me). Since our littlegirly is still so young, we haven't thought much about it and have pretty much kept up with our usual habits of sleeping in very little and frequently walking around our home in skivvies unless we have company. But now that she's developing a vocabulary and much better at communicating, we've been putting some thought into the home culture that we want to build. We'd rather not raise our kiddo to be sheltered, uptight, overly-sexual, or prudish about nudity... but at the same time we're really not sure what is "normal".

Our parents were quite conservative and even seeing them in their underwear was rare. I never saw my father without his pants. Nudity among the same gender in my family was more normal, but only for bathing and changing clothes. I showered with my mom until I was about 4 and I bathed/showered with my sister (to save water/time) well into my teens. But we never wandered around the house without clothes, and my parents certainly didn't.

When we lived in the co-op in college we discussed this sometimes. There was a huge range of experiences when it came to nudity. Some people slept nude, did chores nude, cooked nude, gardened nude... any time they weren't out in public their clothes came off... this was hippy-ville, but still... some of those attitudes seemed extreme and downright exhibitionist...

For me, it was incredibly liberating the first time that I slept nude. It didn't occur to me to try it until I was in my 20's. Once my daughter was born I started wandering around our home topless a lot more, simply because it made breastfeeding easier and it was good for my milk supply to have the skin-on-skin. But I've been less interested in that now that I've nearly weaned her.

Hm. Just something I'm thinking about. I really like that so many people have put in their 2 cents in this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

My wife an I are somewhat exhibitionists, but "appropriate ones". We enjoy a nude beach, we have been at venues where nudity is allowed and encouraged. Before kids we would often be naked around the apartment, but with kids (and a house with bigger windows) we don't do the nude thing anymore. We don't hide nudity either when getting dressed or getting into the shower. Our kids will just walk into our bathroom etc without thinking.

Whats funny is the older they get, the more THEY don't like the nudity. My son at 9 is very much "really?" (apparently we are to be dressed at all times while in our bathroom) and my daughter who is younger thinks its funny. Being we don't stress anything about nudity being good/bad in the family its interesting to see how natural reactions to it develop.

I do recall when I was a kid (8-10), I never saw my mother nude, and really was a bit grossed out seeing my father nude.

Once while on a nude beach, a young nudist family was there (most nudits are 60+) with 3 kids, the oldest being about 13 year old girl. It just didn't feel right seeing them, especially her at that age. .

• Like Like x 2
  17. The only time I can recall seeing either of my parents less than fully clothed was once when I walked in on my napping father. He wore only boxers and the flap had flopped and so had his unit. Mildly off-putting would be a serious understatement.
    I stopped being nude around my kids when my four or five year old eldest made a rather innocent comment about my manhood. Simply being underwear clad ended when my wife told me she didn't think it was appropriate around my still pre-teen daughter.
    QW has always been extremely modest, except in our bedroom. She has always preferred sleeping sans pajamas. I get to see very little skin other than there or in the shower.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

My mother came from an ultra orthodox family, and I had some very unfortunate experiences as a child, so that was pretty much locked down solid on all fronts. What I would do with my own family... I honestly have no idea right now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

My dad had epilepsy and the doctors in the 70's could never get his dosages right half the time and so when he was having a seizure or had had one, he'd sometimes strip and stand around the house nude and in a daze. We got used to it.
    Usually though, we were only nude at bath time or changing time. My little sister though had a reputation for running away from the house down the road naked for a while when she was around 4 or 5. My brother or I would get a phone call and go fetch her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

My parents met in California during the 60's and were in full hippie mode. They then bought a VW Beetle, and with only some camping/food supplies and a couple hundred bucks, they headed East until they ran out of gas and money in Southwest Missouri, where they bought several hundred acres of land and a trailer to live in for just a couple hundred bucks while they built their own house. Then I was born in 1983. However, they largely retained their hippie origins for a long time, and we wandered and swam naked on our secluded hilltop farm out in the woods until I was about 10 years old. We had to stop all that when we moved into our little bible-thumping hillbilly town in 1993, though. Still, up until I was around 12-13, we would journey out to see some of my more liberal family members in California, and often visit the infamous nudist beach, Blacks Beach, and wander about in the buff.

My super-cute, petite, most recent girlfriend and I, the one I went to Maui with, we would get into my apartment and just chuck our clothes off and spend entire weekends wandering about naked, most of the time not even having it be sexual; we watched all of Orange is the New Black Season 2 and some classic Arrested Development butt-naked on my couch just snuggled up like we had clothes on (we didn't), and would cook, eat, and dance naked just because we could. My ex-wife who I was with to for seven years was way too prude and up-tight to do anything naked, so I'd forgotten about that aspect of myself until just 4 months or so ago when I met Casey. Sadly, she's gone now because she journeyed to the mainland (what Hawaiian Islanders called the Continental U.S.) to visit friends and family, go on a nation-wide wandering soul-searching journey, and go back to college at whatever the best university is that accepts her - we agreed that even though we were a great match and made each other happy, she should follow her dreams and future, and not her heart. :( Sorry for the tangent. I guess I have to find another pretty girl who likes to be naked.

• Like Like x 3