1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Nudity among Family

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by genuinemommy, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

My parents are also a couple of the hippie generation. My house growing up was a hundred year old farmhouse that only had one second floor bathroom (where most of the bedrooms were) and mornings were crowded. The tub was a clawfoot, narrow, but must have been at least six feet long, with a shower curtain on a hoop.
    Later on, my dad turned part of the mud porch (on a farm, it really is a MUD porch) into a big bathroom with a tiled walk in shower with two shower heads. Water fights did occur.
    There was a separate toilet and two lavatories. So we did shower together, separated by gender, at least part of the time. It was a real time saver. Outer clothing was more or less optional, (especially in the summer, my dad and brothers often went shirtless around the house,) but complete nudity was rare, except in the somewhat communal shower area. My parents bedroom was on the first floor, and us kids would sometimes catch them dashing naked through the kitchen to their bedroom.
    So I grew up showering with my sisters and Mom. I grew up with good hygiene and good body image, but I think I was more body conscious because of seeing my mom and sisters naked. Especially after I started to turn into a woman, when I became very body conscious. When one of my high school male friends told me that he thought my mom was "hot," I new exactly what he meant. At age 4o she had a body that would have made any 20 year old happy. She's still a willowy size six at age 64.
    I used to love to sleep naked, but have taken to wearing a bra in order to give my breasts a little help in the battle against gravity. The bra can always come off in the morning, which is when we most often do our sex frolics. I do go without underwear under a skirt sometimes. It just gives me this nice "naughty" feeling.;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Sorry to hear that, brother. You two looked good together.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nudity didn't really happen in my household growing up. My dad or brother took off their shirts to play ball on a hot day, but that was it. I have a feeling my parent's childhoods had a lot to do with that. Despite that, I like being naked and will walk around the house nude if my 12 year old son isn't around. He showered with his dad until he was 5ish and then transitioned to supervised baths. Nudity hasn't been a big deal in our house and I don't want my son to feel like it's dirty like I did when I was young.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Nada...at least growing up.
    We're very discrete.

Except my sister had a really bad habit of leaving the door wide open while going to the bathroom...Ugh. (*shiver* doesn't make sense)

Now, when it was myself & the Ex back then, didn't mind it...and I sleep nude.

Me, I don't mind nudity...but I don't want to see my family members...other than my SO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

I sleep nude too. Partially because I like it, and partially because it's god damn hot in Hawaii :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frasue

Frasue New Member

My parents weren't open nudist or walked around nude all the time, but they were relaxed about it around us kids. From a young age I have been in my parents bedroom while they were changing so I have seen both of them without clothes on up until I moved out. Also when I was a teen, I had seen them late at night skinny dipping in the pool.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

I have a hard enough time being nude around my wife....

I never made it a point to be nude around my daughter, but she made a comment last year about seeing my dinger... lol
    my wife and daughter frequently shower togeather, I think my daughter sees my wife nude more than I do.
    the only time I ever remember seeing my parents naked was when I walked in on them when I was about 10 or so

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sierra Vertical

As far as my upbringing goes (60's 70's) there was, and I'm just being honest here, the only nudity was when I was being severely beaten by my mother in the guise of corporal punishment. A belt to a bare bottom is one thing, and I cannot even begin to agree with that in and of itself, but a belt to the face in the process is another. When I was at my fathers place who resided hundreds of miles away my step mother was frequently nude. It was just a sign of the times I guess but that it was on rare occasion (I only visited twice a year) it was definitely a sight to me...
    My personal feeling is that in healthy caring families nudity should be fine if all are comfortable. I'm divorced and only have my sons over every other weekend and so as far as the topic goes I'm only in my underware in the mornings.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I am frequently naked around ToddlerSquirrel. Our bodies are awesome. She showers with me or takes baths with DaddySquirrel.
    DaddySquirrel is always naked in front of her. She thinks she should be able to pee standing up to and has attempted to do it. I make daddy clean that up.
    I never saw my parents naked though...
    ToddlerSquirrel prefers to be naked. She likes shaking her naked booty! I like pinching her booty.
    Nudity is accepted in our home...unless we have company. I wear clothes when we have company. ToddlerSquirrel doesn't care about company. I have some friends who get really nervous when she runs around naked. They don't want to look like perverts I guess.
    DaddySquirrel doesn't always care about nudity. He has been outside in just his boxers many times.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

@Sierra that "like" was for how honest your sharing was <3 not the abuse you suffered. *hugs* <3
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 9, 2017 ---
    My mother was ALWAYS clothed around me, except one time when she bent over and her robe opened. She was very uncomfy in her skin. She was thin and had a lovely figure, but with all the years of abuse she saw herself as vile. :( We had to be fully clothed at home which is a sickly ironic thing to me considering what we survived.

At my Gramma's I would shower with her and we had great lively conversations during that time, so it is still special in my heart. She was a straight-laced god fearing Christian, with a wicked sense of humor! So, if not for her influence my view of bodies would have been very different.

As an adult I was a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, nude sleeping, breastfeeding mama. Lol. Twice, and truthfully would be again, though babywearing in a wheelchair is tricky let me tell ya. If I'm at home I'm not wearing a shirt (I do wear a bra), unless it is cold then I'll don long sleeves and fuzzy socks. I'm a half nudist and our kids are used to it. Our kids bathed with us when young ones. When she was 5 I took our girl to a nude figure painting event. I still have the painting she made! <3 We've had models in the house before and in various states of dress so the kids are just used to it.

At around age 7-9 our daughter started closing her door to change and such, and her personal modesty was respected and has been since. Though she thinks nothing of half dressed people, bras, underwear, panties, stuff like that does not phase her a bit. Our son on the other hand pretty much needs a firm reminder regularly to wear clothing. That boy is going to grow up to be a happy nudist I just know it. He's a nude sleeper which is fine until he wanders the house in the buff, or leaves the door open when showering which pisses his sister off something fierce. lol.

• Like Like x 2
  11. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Huh. Almost three years ago. Time flies.

My opinion hasn't changed substantially since becoming a parent. I bathe with our eight month old and her mom frequently walks around in various states of undress. Granted she's too young to really understand the significance yet but at the same time I still adhere to the "it's only weird if you make it weird" mindset.

I don't go out of my way to be naked but I'm not bothered by it. I don't plan to change my habits substantially. So long as she understands social modesty when she's older I find it difficult to get worked up over whether or not everyone is fully clothed in the privacy of our own home.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sierra Vertical

May there be more squirrels in the world :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Awesome read. Sounds like a reasonable and respectful outlook you all have. Good your son is proud of his body, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I have yet to feel any sort of awkwardness either due to my baby being naked or being naked around my baby. Those things might change when she's old enough to decide for herself whether or not to be naked. Probably not, though. I'm not really bothered by the idea of her seeing my "boy parts" or knowing that my body is different from hers and her mother's.

I get kind of weirded out by the idea that other people are weirded out by naked kids. I kind of get it I suppose but it's just what kind of commentary is that, that some people see a naked child and their first thought is "oh god everyone will think I'm a pervert." Naked babies are fine. Naked adults are fine too, for that matter. But kids before puberty are basically genderless anyway, so it's something of a non-issue in my mind regardless.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

It's a commentary on a society so pathologically paranoid that it's driven people (well, men) to actively go the other way when they see a little girl fighting an adult and shouting "help you're not my daddy". One of the big differences I've noticed here in Israel is that people don't lose it when I wave or make faces at babies and small kids. It's also completely normal to see fathers with their kids, as opposed to the US where dads can wind up with the pedoparanoiacs calling the cops on them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

I agree with a fair bit of that, but there are some places in the US where it more common to see dads with kids than moms. The place this most apparent in our area is the gym and pool. There are dozens of dads with one to four children and only a handful of moms every single time. Could also be the days or hours we're there though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shayla560

Shayla560 Vertical

I don't know of nudity ever being taboo in my family. I have seen my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles naked and been naked around them and so have my kids. My family is very open greet each other with a kids. My grandparents parents were from Greece and apparently nudity at home was a fairly normal thing as well as bathing together. So it has stayed with my family for generations.
    My parents are very sexualy open and it wasn't uncommon to see them making love growing up so I was never uncomfortable with second as I saw it as an expression of love. My husband's was not as comfortable being naked around other's but overcame it over time and is now very comfortable with it but he is not comfortable having open sexy.
    My children are comfortable naked around us and family and we have taken vacations to nudist camps beaches resorts and they feel like it normal.
    Puberty has been a little awkward but we talk openly about what is normal feelings and responses and safe sex.
    The only time we are not nude is when non family is over or when my daughter or I is having our periods.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

My parents are conservative hippies. But, nudity wasn't big. I saw my Dad naked a handful of times changing or in a swimming pool locker room (maybe it was because I was young, but his was much bigger than mine). I only saw my Mom topless when she was changing. And my sister once when she was getting out of the shower when we were both in our single digit age. (~6-8 years old). I was very body shy and I doubt they family has seen me naked since I was 4 or 5 years old.

Now, while my upbringing was probably "normal", I do wish that we had gone to some type of nude beach or family nude campground growing up. It took me a decade after leaving the house to feel comfortable being naked around other people. And I still am not to where I want to be.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DY157

DY157 New Member

What does this mean?

We’re pretty open in our family. My 11 year old son is just now (finally) developing a sense of privacy. It doesn’t help that the kids like our shower better than theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

It means they were teens in the 60's, and weren't anti-nudity or anti-sex, but were also trying to fit into the suburban culture and didn't bring it up. My Dad has the biggest organic backyard garden in the neighborhood, but he worked at a big chemical company for 30 years. No drugs and they regularly go to church, but we wore cloth diapers and listened to 60's music in the 80's and 90's. He managed the money and was able to retire in his 50's, and pay to send two kids to college* (it was a little cheaper back then), but we would go camping multiple times each Summer to get away from the city.

• Like Like x 6
  20. DY157

DY157 New Member

I think I’d like these conservative hippies.

Okay so hasitated to post this because it’s morbid, but relevant.

Growing up never saw my dad naked, but my mom... geez no qualms or modesty to the point that my siblings and I would be like “Mom! Eww- That’s not okay. Cover them up!” She had a red bush, and we all knew it.

She passed away a few years ago. My dad called me at work, she’d collapsed taken by ambulance and was in the ER and it wasn’t good. Bad heart attack. Rushed there, screaming at traffic... I finally get there and they tell me I may not want to go back there that it’s not pretty. Basically ignoring them I go back there in a rush, find the room and she’s surrounded by people and equipment, only to hear...

“I’m calling it. Time?”

I’m standing there in shock. I never saw her face. She had blood on her leg and were pulling a long tube out. (They’d done a catheterization through femoral artery) They covered her with a sheet, and the last thing I saw was her nipple being covered up, before I left quickly to go find my dad. All the stages of grieving would come soon, but that image of her nipple being covered was somehow seared into my brain as almost kind of appropriate. Probably the first time I saw her and the last time I saw her was that life giving part of her. Weird and kinda creepy, but thought I’d share here because well... that’s not the kind of thing you share really anywhere but might be accepted here.

• Like Like x 4