1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

I am not going to re-create the context, it can easily be followed. It is all related to trust and credibility.
    --- merged: Mar 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM ---
    What did Bush have to do with this? Everything incomprehensible here? I know why you introduced Bush, are you saying you don't understand my analogy?

I am even gonna add to the analogy since you care about what other people in other countries think about our President. If you loved your lady, would you care about what a survey of other people said about her? Is that how you roll? Do you typically have relationship problems with women? I wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I think you mean to say invent the context. But whatevs. It's your concern, not mine.

3. Aceventura

From your post #63:

Assuming you read my response and the discussion regarding religion and politics, you can easily see the context of my response, post #68.

4. Baraka_Guru

Well then I guess my point also suggests that this context doesn't apply here.

All I can glean from your past few posts is that you can't trust politicians, professionals, managers, and probably a host of other types of people.

Trust no one but yourself? I try to trust people where I can. I admit that it helps when people are held accountable externally.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

You sound like my daughter in NYC when she gets pissed off at me when I kid her about her radical feminism (get a job, sweetie, then save the world) ? She takes after her late mom.

6. Aceventura

Here is my post #68:

The issue you seem to have problems with is a paragraph 2 issue, I told you why I think it is connected and it is not even the main thrust of my post. If you don't understand it, fine - I am saying it applies to me and I say why. Again, you want to go down this - what Ace thinks is illegitimate thing...why not respond to the substance or ignore and move on? Why do we need to play these games?

Have I not made my views clear? Are you pretending that is all there is to what I have written on this subject? I have repeatedly shared the names and types of politicians and others that I trust. I give reasons illustrating why and why I do not trust. In fact, on this subject I had questions - I have made it crystal clear what I think of Obama over the years. You and DC want to turn the focus on to me for some reason - it is silly.

No.

Has Obama ever done anything that put your trust in him in question?
    --- merged: Mar 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM ---
    Children can often provide a unique insight. I never dismiss the observations of my son. I try never to respond to him in a condescending manner. Your "get a job, sweetie..., is condescending.

7. redux

redux Very Tilted

Thanks for your insight, Ace. It confirms I'm a great dad and not a rigid narrow minded extremist.

8. Baraka_Guru

Ace, you seem to want to make a mountain out of a molehill with this Obama mic thing. You also seem to read the implications oddly. Remember that this is an election year. In America.

I'll choose the path of "move on" if it's still available. K thx.

9. Aceventura

These two questions a mountain make?

What does this mean: ....?
    Shouldn't we expect some clarification from the WH?

If your response was - nothing and no - we move on. That was not your response - your response was, paraphrasing, Obama was just being political. I wanted to know if that was acceptable to you, you could have said yes - we move on. Then of course we have DC, bringing Bush into it...
    --- merged: Mar 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM ---
    Anytime.

Oh, sarcasm, I get it. In-spite of what you wrote I am sure you are a great dad.:)

10. Baraka_Guru

That wasn't my response. But how about Obama's? He said he wasn't making any promises beyond pointing out that elections in U.S. and Russia make difficult talks unlikely until political campaigns are finished. He basically thought it was unwise to get into arms control talks while the usual fervent political campaigning is going on. It sounds prudent to me. I imagine most sensible politicians would agree. Republicans don't count, partly because of, well, political campaigning. Look at what they've already done with this relatively harmless mic gaffe. Do you really think Obama has the same flexibility in arms control talks with Russia now as he would in a second term?

The Republican candidates are pretty much a shark tank...a political liability on the international stage. What Obama is doing is prudent. It's unfortunate that you can't see that.

11. Aceventura

My response is predictable. In my opinion Obama's job is to be President. His re-election efforts are not important. I expected Presidents up for re-election can simply run on their records and their plans for the future.

At the risk of confusing the issue - I will say that Fehrnstrom's etcha-sketch comment regarding Romney is problematic to me and reinforces why I will not vote for him. In my view (read, my view) these things are related. If you don't see it, drop it and move on - because this is my view (read, my view).

It depends on what he wants to accomplish in the arms control talks. Do we know? I agree, we may know what he is saying today, but can we trust what he is saying today? I would say - no. If you say, yes - fine we simply disagree, nothing more to it than that. Pretty simple.

If he has a plan, executes his plan, and gets results that benefit the US and the cause for a more peaceful world - I will congratulate him. However, as it stands right now, his style is blocking my ability to see clearly to his end. This is an example where in the style v. results question, I am on the style side of the equation. I know this, and it is one reason I sought input from others. I am open enough to ask the question. I am honest enough to share my biases. I would think it refreshing to be presented with such an opportunity for discussion.

12. Baraka_Guru

His comments weren't about whether or not he would be re-elected. Do you think perhaps he's concerned about the talks actually going well, politically speaking?

Trust that he wants to wait until his next term to recommence talks? I trust that. You don't trust that? Do you think his current lack of "flexibility" implies covert talks? What are you saying exactly? What don't you trust? Please lay it out for me.

You should probably answer this for me: Do you think it would be a good idea to recommence arms talks between U.S. and Russia during the current political climate/timing in both nations? Why or why not?

Um....yeah....there's nothing to see. The talks haven't recommenced yet. Stay tuned, I guess?

13. Aceventura

Yes. I do not think the political climate within the US should affect arms talks between the U.S. and Russia. I believe it is the responsibility of a US President to first build consensus within the US prior to talks with other nations. If Obama stated that he was in the process of doing that and that he expected to have a mandate from US voters after the election I would be more comfortable, he did not say that. I realize the difficulty in negotiating in such a circumstance, but it is the system we have.

I also believe that the President is more responsible for the political climate than anyone else. I expect the President to manage the political climate, not be managed by it. Being managed by the political climate is an indicator of political weakness. I believe other world leaders see it that way as well.

Assuming DC will bring up Bush again, I do think in his last term Bush became politically impotent based on his failure to manage the political climate.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. Baraka_Guru

Oh, in a perfect world...eh, Ace?

I sometimes think the same way you do, but that's usually within the parameters of fiction.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Both Obama and Medvedev had to build some level of support among the hardliners in their respective legislatures for ratification of the START II treaty in 2011. Both had to be flexible and neither had to deal with the political climate of an election at the time. I would consider START II a significant accomplishment for both leaders and I would suggest that most world leaders did as well, given the widespread of support for the treaty.

16. Aceventura

No. You do not wait for perfection. It seems you would direct that to Obama, he is the one waiting for a time when he might have more flexibility, assuming he gets reelected. My suggestion would be for him to move forward as best as possible, starting with building a consensus in the US regarding his plan.

I don't believe you really understand how I think. I have read some of your attempts to restate what I have written, and your responses to what I have written, like the above reference to "a perfect world."
    --- merged: Mar 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM ---
    Not everyone would agree with your assessment. I present this just to illustrate that point, nothing more - I don't care what you think of IBD or the author. From IBD's editorial pages, a portion from a peice written by Krauthammer:

The Obama Administration's Cherished "Reset" Policy With Russia Has Been A Failure - Investors.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  17. Baraka_Guru

Maybe moving forward "as best as possible" means waiting for the stink of the election to clear? Do you think the stink of the upcoming election is conducive to international arms talks between two nuclear partners? Do you think the GOP candidates would be fair and balanced towards it? Do you think Obama would be clear of election implications either positive or negative in holding talks sooner rather than later? Do you realize that in politics, discretion is important? Do you view discretion as a weakness? In your view is discretion in the same category as other such common yet ostensibly deplorable practices as compromise?

I think it's because much of what you write is obscure and/or ambiguous. It often becomes abstract if not outright idealistic. I hope you will forgive me if I mischaracterize how you think. It's most likely because I have very little idea. I often find what you write quite difficult to follow, as it often veers towards the bewildering or the irrelevant.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

I did not suggest that everyone would agree with my assessment.

I said Obama and Medvedev both demonstrated leadership by getting more than enough support among their opposing interests in their respective legislatures and that most world leaders approved of the treaty.

You cant please all the hardline hawks all of the time. In fact, a Democrat can rarely, if ever, please the most rigid, closed-minded right wing ideologues.

19. Aceventura

Assuming you read DC's post, Obama got the New Start ratified in 2010. 2010 was a contentious election year.

No, we know Romney's views. And, to me it illustrates the importance of a good debate on the issue. Perfection is the thought there would ever be a time when everyone agreed, or a time when a election is not pending - or in Obama's mind is it always about what is easy for Obama?

No. When you say discretion, what do you mean? Can you give a known historical example to illustrate your point?
    --- merged: Mar 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM ---
    Agree, but one can build consensus.

Consensus decision-making - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have stated many times, that I can disagree and still support. And I have said many times what it takes - open/honest discussion, conviction and trust. Obama generally misses on all three - for me.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

START II was not ratified until Feb 2011. The lame duck Congress in post-Nov 2010 put ratification on hold (election politics) until the new Congress was sworn in in Jan 2011.

Kinda reinforces the fact that you cant get some things done when election politics interfere.

My mistake, the lame duck session did ratify it. Neither Obama nor Medvedev had to deal with a re-election circus and all that goes with it.
    --- merged: Mar 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM ---
    How is getting a significant number of the Republicans in the Senate (who vowed to block nearly everything Obama proposed) not building consensus?