1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Getting Alberta's oil out of the ground has become less viable because of low oil prices.

Shell pulls plug on long-delayed Alberta oil sands mine - The Globe and Mail

2. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

No I can not. Take Chaney for example - people can disagree with him but he did not bullshit people. When he infamously said he would be willing to go to the "darkside" in response to terrorism, history has shown that he was not bullsitting anyone. On the other-side I remember respecting Kuchinich - not only was he against the Iarq war but said it was illegal and he actually tried to get Bush impeached. There are people who act in a manner consistent with there words. Even give me Joe Biden - when he said "...we would follow them (ISIS) to the gates of hell until they are brought to justice..." strikes me as something he is sincere about. If Obama said that I would say it was bullshit, kinda like that "red line" he spoke of - Obama is not the type to follow anyone to the gates of hell in response to anything. Or how about closing Gitmo...you can keep your plan...this or that leader must go...he is going to bring us together...he is going to bring our troops home...delivery of immigration reform...etc...etc...etc

What day is it? Is today the day we say Obama gets results or is today the day we say Obama can't get anything done because of obstructionist Republicans - I get confused.

O.k., I guess we simply disagree.
    Obama goads Republicans
    --- merged: Feb 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM ---
    Here is the answer - stop using oil and "they" will stop producing it. Or are you already walking or riding a bike to work? Using solar heat? Using windmills? Growing food in your own garden as to avoid oil use in transportation? When "we" (really meaning you) start living a 18th century lifestyle, the oil is going to flow. Personally, I have no problem with that and I believe a pipeline is more environmentally friendly than most other means.

Oh, here is an interesting bit of information for environmentalists - unintended consequences:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  3. redux

redux Very Tilted

Tens of millions of birds are killed by power line collisions and executions alone every year.

Power Line Collisions and Electrocutions

There are solutions to the problems, be it as a result of power lines, solar plants or wind turbines.
    --- merged: Feb 25, 2015 at 5:38 PM ---
    Yep....a good veto; the first of many.

Keystone had few benefits to the US...few permanent jobs, most of the oil being processed and sold overseas, greater risk and greater potential harm of pipeline leaks from tar sand oil, extensive use of eminent domain (by a foreign company) to "take" private property from landowners along the route who did not want the pipeline on their property (I thought Repubs hated the use of eminent domain), etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  4. Aceventura

The scope is very different. We get less than 1% of our power from solar.

A new solar farm is opening in Tonaph, Nevada next month - problem not solved - but they are working on it....after a $1 billion investment - my point was about unintended consequences. Perhaps we can think this stuff through for a change rather than emotional reactions to energy issues - including Keystone.

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Wind and solar are a rational, not emotional, alternative to reduce reliance on fossil fuels. And fracking for those fossil fuels does far greater environmental damage.

6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You give me Dick Cheney as an example of someone who doesn't bullshit??? You've got to be kidding me.
    Is he threating to take you on a hunt with him?? :rolleyes:

And I'm seeing Obama getting results DESPITE the obstructionist Republicans. Perhaps he could have gotten more done...perhaps he would have gone overboard, we'll never know.
    But you certainly can't blame him for everything...but they try.

However, I would say you're not confused...you see exactly what you want to see. There is no confusion. It is "this way" and no other way.
    Reality curves as if a Black Hole were affecting it. No light escapes, one way.

Me? I'm confused how people can just see things that are not there...or say things that are just not true.
    It's not bullshit, it's a colored perspective.
    My father suffers from the same disability.
    My sister does the same at times.
    My mother is always real, I don't shake my head at what she says, doubting her sanity...but she's OVERLY compassionate, always giving the benefit of the doubt. I'm a hardass, if you fuck up, you fuck up.

My nature is to see things, "as is", no more, no less.

If Obama fucks up, I call him on it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. rogue49

Obama lambasts US senators over Iran nuclear letter

This is terrible...a FULL deviation from Constitutional separations of powers.

The GOP in Congress is starting to completely deviate from what is allowed.

The Executive Office is the one which negotiates foreign diplomacy, initially and mostly through the State Dept.
    Congress can authorize action, but it's the other side that does the back & forth.

Now I know exactly what the GOP is going to say...which is Obama is encroaching into territory by Executive Orders.
    Except that Obama isn't doing anything that other Presidents have done in the past, nor excessively.

If Congress cannot act, which it hasn't, it leaves the Executive Office to determine the situation, as long as it doesn't supersede law or require funding. (ex. Immigration)

But I've never heard of a "section" and distinct party from Congress EVER negotiating or directly communicating with a foreign power.
    This deviates from all precedent. (or show me where this was done in the past, if I'm wrong)

As expected by their critics, again the GOP has gone overboard in their disdain for this President.

8. Baraka_Guru

Between this and the Netanyahu invite (let alone all the shit pulled before that), I'm curious to know how his current iteration of the GOP would act with a Republican president.

Honestly, what the shit is going to happen if a Republican wins 2016?

9. rogue49

Well, if a Republican does win, we can hope they aren't radical or reactive...but have a good sense of what's appropriate and in moderation. (good ex. Jeb Bush)
    I doubt a over the top one would win the general election...and the powers in the GOP are aware of this...they are caught between a rock and a hard place, with the GE and primary dynamics.

But even quite a few in the GOP have been saying that they overstepped their place...if not that, simply was a huge political blunder (bull in a china shop...)

And it's even worse, when the Foreign Minister of the country you're bullying, ahem "communicating" with schools you on what's appropriate...even for your OWN country's government rules.
    Can they get even more stupid?? :rolleyes:

Read the Iranian foreign minister's super passive-aggressive response to Tom Cotton

10. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

What the Republican's have done is in direct violation of the Logan Act.
    I know no one will bring them up on charges but it should be made clear that what they did was illegal.
    They can argue that they were acting under as representatives of the US but in term of being official they are not, they are civilians.
    Logan Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the funny side of Andy Borowitz nails it again.

Iran Offers to Mediate Talks Between Republicans and Obama - The New Yorker

• Like Like x 2
  11. rogue49

Yes, but quite a few question it's constitutionality...and it's been rarely enforced. So it's likely a moot point.

But what it has done was make the GOP look like fools and taken much of the spotlight off of Hillary. (another day, another news story...)

And even the GOP is saying it was a dumb play.
    Republicans Admit: That Iran Letter Was a Dumb Idea

and IMHO, one of many since they gained the majority...if not beforehand.

They are ham-fisting things so much, they're undermining their own credibility.

I wonder if the voters will actually remember when the time comes to act.
    But, voters are ADD...and the GOP has the luck of having a disorganized and uninspiring opponent. (even Hillary has yet to say anything charismatic lately, if ever)

At least Obama seems to be acting for the public...it's just that he's terrible at communicating to them (on policy, that is....not idealist abstracts like the fight against racism, he does great on that)

12. redravin

It's funny, you were saying Hillary hasn't said anything charismatic lately but her speech at the UN about women's rights was really good.
    The problem was the press didn't cover the speech, they just wanted to ask about the emails.
    So until she gets her campaign crew in place to deal with this kind of dreck anything she says is going to buried in Benghazi or email chatter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

Agreed.

Really, she needs to officially "shit or get off the pot"
    Friggin' announce already. :rolleyes:

14. rogue49

White House calling the shots
    In the months since Republicans took charge of Congress, GOP divisions have given the upper hand to Obama.

Not that he's perfect...but he's the only one getting anything done.
    And not that he's absolutely correct...but at least he doesn't sound stupid.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes:

GOP has become like Wile E. Coyote.
    And they're buying all their stuff from ACME

If only Obama was as cunning as Bugs Bunny...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

• Like Like x 4
  16. redravin

It was really was funny.
    Also thought his comment about Dick Cheney was great.

17. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aceventura

Are you saying it is better to have a President that tells a good joke over a President who can do his job? Perhaps President Obama can do a comedy tour in the Middle East and bring peace to the region - or how about he go to Gitmo ...and... (wait for it)... shut the place down! :p I don't care who you are you have to admit that is some funny stuff. Do you think I could be President?

19. Baraka_Guru

Are you complaining that he hasn't invaded anyone yet? Because what about all the drone stuff? Does that count for anything?

20. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Uhh, I'm guessing you're not an Obama supporter..? In any case I wasn't saying it's any kind of be-all-end-all trait for a president to have, or even that it really affects performance or policy or anything else, just that (despite whatever policies a person may agree or disagree with) it's nice to have a more graceful president who can be serious but also be charismatic and joke around when the time is appropriate (like a laid-back political dinner) instead of monotonously reading off of a teleprompter with that deer-in-the-headlights stare that Gee-Dubya used to do.