1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Obama - Actually doing a good job?

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I don't know @Aceventura ...but I guess it's better than deciding just because you'd like to have a beer with him. ;)

Give me job quality everyday...but most people's definition and standard changes with their biases.
    If they like them...then they don't worry about it.
    If they don't, then they better be the best damned president ever and even that isn't good enough.

I don't judge people by one standard, set at one time. (all attributes in one category)
    I judge on the situation, the result, the pattern and it may change.
    It's more complicated, but it's fair.
    Then again humans are complicated...even the ones that make you laugh or have a beer with.

• Like Like x 1
  2. redux

redux Very Tilted

One has nothing to do with the other.

I think a self-deprecating sense of humor is a positive trait in a leader, particularly one who is continually under attack by the opposition. Obama has it, Reagan had it. The Bushs and Clinton, not so much.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rogue49

Actually, Bill Clinton had it...if he was in a good mood. If you pissed him off or he was covering himself, he went on the attack.
    Hillary doesn't have it.
    She takes herself seriously and doesn't know how to by wry spontaneously. (if she does, it's a planned event or skit)

Obama is a quick wit, even in the worst scenarios...his sarcasm is a good tool in his toolkit.

Soft skills are just as important as hard abilities.
    Some have it, some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

President Obama is a good speaker, tells funny jokes, can sing, great smile, has a good jump shot, a loyal husband and a good father - but he is the worst President in the past 100 years. For him one does relate to the other.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Wait, don't tell me: He destroyed the economy and hugged all the terrorists.

6. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Aha, I see the period of time has been shortened up from "worst president ever", to avoid making the ridiculously untenable claim that Obama is somehow "worse" than Fillmore or Buchanan or Pierce.

But that still argues for Taft, Harding, Hoover, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush and Bush (among others) as ALL having been "better" presidents than the current incumbent. Even without any historical perspective yet, it's hard to take that seriously.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Baraka_Guru

Honestly though: He's the worst liberal North American head of government since the '90s. Where the fuck is the surplus? He's going to blow the streak.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. Aceventura

I can admit when I am wrong. After further consideration of the question I think it is more accurate to state that Obama is the worst President in the past 100 years.

I think Obama and Carter are pretty close - I would take the others. For Obama, I believe he is potentially doing irreversible harm - not only from a US perspective but from a global perspective. I think he has moved us closer to global nuclear war more so than any other President, which is a weighty factor in my assessment. For example - Ford is a President who basically did no harm, it is not about accomplishment - if Ford is 0, Obama runs in the negative.
    --- merged: May 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM ---
    My thoughts run a bit bigger than that. When I am ready to publish my analysis, I won't do it here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  9. Baraka_Guru

That sounds ominous. Do you think Obama is/will be the catalyst for WWIII?

I wonder how things would have been different if he worked better with Congress.

10. Aceventura

I think we are on that path. As I wrote, I believe he is potentially doing irreversible harm, I have not concluded that he has in fact done irreversible harm. Basically restating what I wrote.

All leaders have opposition. Obama uses opposition as an excuse.

11. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

If only he had listened to Congress....you know, the ones who are openly working with America'a enemies in order to make Obama look bad

12. Baraka_Guru

I think he should discontinue the drone program too. It's a disgrace, and I'm surprised that so few seem concerned about this.

I think that's really the only way he can use this opposition.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

President Obama's Milestone: The Commander-in-Chief Visits All 50 States - ABC News

Obama managed to visit all 50 states as President. I think it is a good goal for any President or Vice President to actually go to the places in this country that are doing well and those places that aren't doing so well. The country is very similar in some ways, but there are also big differences that policies have to reflect between different areas in this country. I think that is what the current group of politicians and candidates are failing to talk about. They talk to the people concerned about the issue they care about, but don't try and explain it to those people in other areas why they should also help and support the issue.

As for me, I've been to 30. 29 on purpose. My Dad took a wrong turn and we ended up in New Jersey once. I have only been to the airport in Colorado and North Carolina as well so those might not officially count.

http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZCACOFLGAILINKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNVNJNMNYNCOHOKORPATNTXUTVAWAWV009900xlg.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Why..? I mean air drones and other unmanned vehicles are the inevitable next step in warfare for every developed nation; why risk lives when you could just send a disposable remote-controlled piece of hardware? If it gets shot down, no one dies. I don't think they should be giving out medals for drone "pilots" (and I use "pilots" very lightly here), and it does make it awfully easy to kill a lot of people without much risk or accountability, but it's an unavoidable coming reality of war.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

Ok, whether you agree with his policies or not...you have to agree that Obama may be feeling this is his best week EVAR!! :cool:
    Why This Might Be the Most Consequential Week of Obama's Presidency

Now, I don't know about most "consequential" but he IS on a roll
    • a win for Obamacare
    • a win for gay rights
    • a win for fast tracking trade (AND with the GOP vs the Dems)
    • a great speech (and song) for victims of racism
    • etc and so on...
    Now you note, I sais "a", not "the"...because there will be more battles...back and forth, nothing is ever straight forward or finished in DC.
    But you've got to admire the man's luck and talent with these.

Almost as if we're finally seeing the Obama who's figured out how to market and push.
    If he keeps this up, God knows what he can do in his last year and a half. (certainly, no lame duck here)

I wonder if this satisfies those who always claim they want Obama to "lead"???
    Is this Leading enough? :rolleyes:

No matter what...Shit, that scene with Amazing Grace will go down in history.
    They'll play that clip like crazy and forever.
    Reagan's "tear down this wall", JFK's "Ich bin en Berliner". FDR's "Nothing to fear but fear itself"

He may have just gone legendary...doesn't matter if we like him or not.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  16. rogue49

Ok, I'll say out & out...this would be a good job. :cool:
    President Obama overtime rule change - The threshold to qualify for overtime pay

I'm all for capitalism...and I know what it's like to pay for employee services
    ....and be a professional or manager (and why you may want to be exempt, ideas cannot be quantified by onsite time)
    However, companies take WAY too much advantage of this.

Right now, they're getting the equivalent of partial slave labor.
    This is why I like getting paid hourly. (if I work, you pay me)
    A service for a price.

This is only fair, I don't care if this isn't "fair" for business...or it hurts the bottom line.
    BIZ profits...they don't share...that's fine.
    But if a BIZ wants to be in BIZ...then you gotta fuckin' pay your people.
    If not, get out of the BIZ...you cheap shits.

This is not Egypt, you're not Pharaoh.
    Pay up.
    Your staff is working their asses off for you. :mad:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  17. OtherSyde

OtherSyde Slightly Tilted

Fuck yeah @rogue49 !! Fucking bunch of cheap-ass swindling Donald Trump motherfuckers lol

18. rogue49

OK, this article is noting what I've always said...Obama is a long-game player.

And he's playing by himself on some things...and letting Congress play on its own things...no interaction...and its working, Congress is actually being productive.
    No need to "lead" them, just play his Zen-master shtick and get out of the way on theirs (unless a veto is needed, but he rarely uses that)
    Then wax on powerfully and act on his own things.
    4th quarter player indeed.
    I'd say like Michael Jordan...dominating on his own, but not hogging all the ball and letting the other star players do their own thing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is the question I hope comes up in the debates. How will you work with Congress to get things done?

I'm impressed that Obama has been able to get so much done without help from the Congress. But, I also wonder what would happen if Sanders or Trump win. Hillary will be met with the same resistance from the Tea Party/Fox News. I'm not sure what the Democrats would do if Jeb, Carson, or Kasich win.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  20. rogue49

The Quiet Grand Strategy of Barack Obama

A long, interesting & excellent article on Obama's foreign policy from The American Conservative.

The man plays the long game like a grandmaster...
    ...and may be a better conservative than most conservatives.

I've said this for some time.
    Think about it.

It's almost like he's playing a game like Bismarck

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1