1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

"Obama just may have lost the election": Losing the Catholic vote

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I'm not sure if this is as big a deal as Noonan is making it out to be.

What do you make of this?

Has Obama shot himself in the foot regarding the Catholic vote? Is this ripe fuel for the Republican candidate?

Highlights of the column are below.

A broader question: Do you think the presidential election be more about the economy or social policies? Both?

Is this going to get nasty?

http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

And yet 97% of "Catholic" women take birth control at some point in their lives.
    http://www.health24.com/news/Contraception/1-900,62370.asp

Isn't there some exemption that they are working on anyways?

I don't get how Catholic or religious people can vote against helping the poor, curing the sick, and living the teachings of the bible. Because the people who are watching Fox News don't care about the disadvantaged, sick, or living like a real Christian.

3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

If the Catholics say they want to be able to refrain from something they find morally wrong in providing contraception for free etc. can the Christian Scientists be allowed to not provide coverage to doctors since it is against their moral standards?

What I think is asinine for the Catholics is that they forget that they have Free Will. They were given that by God and they are to exercise the responsibility of not doing what they are forbidden to do. Thus they do not participate in the birth control but mandated to offer it, offer it. They don't have to use it.

4. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

This battle has been brewing. I've been curious to see which way Obama would go with it. I'm pleased. Will it hurt him with the Catholics? I' not convinced it will. US Catholics (ok, not counting Rick Santorum) are generally NOT in agreement with the Vatican's stance on contraceptives. Abortion in the form of morning after pills might be a bigger pill to swallow. If they were casting votes based on this one issue, I'd say it might be a toss up as to how Obama would fare, but there are much bigger issues, as we all know. I don't think he would have signed his name to this, in an election year, if he thought it was likely to cause him much damage.

The glitch in that theory of course might lie with the Hispanic vote.

And I find Peggy Noonan's assessment of the situation wildly over the top, btw.

I could be wrong, but I believe the majority of non-Hispanic Catholics reside in Blue States which vote primarily Democratic though there are large Catholic communities in FL, PA and OH.

Is it going to get nasty? Of course. First presidential election following the Citizen's United decision. SuperPacs rule. Look what they did to Newt in FL. Negative ads are effective. I can only imagine the amount of money which will be thrown towards these types of ads in the GE. This, more than whether or not he can count on the Catholic vote, concerns me. Obama is, so far, SuperPac shy. He could easily be annihilated by a mass ad offensive, considering the way so many voters are swayed by such things. I don't get it, but it's true, nonetheless.

5. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

If Romney gets a Marco Rubio type to be his VP, it would give Romney the best shot.

6. Joniemack

In light of Obama's HHS decision, I'm sure he's considering it, if he wasn't already.

Of course, Mark Rubio could definitely round up the Cuban vote, but in some ways that bloc remains isolated from the greater Hispanic community. Recent Mexican and SA immigrants are not as settled as the Cubans - they are still looking at the more socially liberal candidates. The Sharron Angles and Jan Brewers don't help the cause. They're pretty much a Republican candidate's worst nightmare in terms of garnering the wider Hispanic vote.

7. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

There is a VERY large gap between the preaching of the Catholic church and the practices of its members. And it is amazing how many devout practising Catholics have no issue with that. I think the issue, while valid from the church's point of view, is a non-winner for them. The congregations will see the church's position as another "no condoms, no pill, no homosexuality, no female priests" stand on the part of the church - out-of-touch with modern society, and something to be ignored when choosing a president.

• Like Like x 4
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Considering the alternative and their extremists stands on women rights, I dont see it as a significant issue. In fact, i think it will be more than offset by the hardcore position of Republicans on the other side, including their vilification of Planned Parenthood and denial of basic women's health issues.

Catholic men, particularly blue collar (ie Reagan democrats) vote pocket book, not pill.

• Like Like x 2
  9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

peggy noonan is a conservative political operative. the right has a brand problem--that is obvious---one of the approaches that the right has used with the tea party is to create an illusion of movement in their favor. that's what she's trying to do here. the right also sees such hope as it has organizationally as laying with religious institutions.

but in addition to noonan hyperbole---i mean come on, who the fuck takes a ronald reagan speech writer seriously as a journalist?----it's well known that the american catholic church is well to the center of the reactionary who is now pope, and that, while this does not please benedict, there's not a whole lot he can do, particularly given the magnitude of the scandal involving sexual abuse on the part of some priests--but especially the church's actions to protect the priests who has carried out these actions. and this is not even to start talking about the longer-term shifts in physical mobility amongst americans that undermined (fatally, it seems) old-school relations to the church (think any catholic city neighborhood into the 1950s and those same spaces now---totally different world. the examples are everywhere.)...so there are factors quite apart from and bigger than the specific incoherences of rome's positions on contraception etc. that pretty much guarantee nothing like the top-down unified mobilization of catholics as a population in favor of the right.

plus, if you ask a lot of evangelical protestants, catholics aren't christian.
    but i digress.

10. Joniemack

If you ask a lot of evangelicals, most Christians aren't Christians. Not unless they've gone through the "saved" process and have been born again. That quick fix measure that completely eliminates the need for Christians to act in a Christ-like manner.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

Interesting poll out today on the subject:

[​IMG]

More Catholics agree than the general public, with evangelicals the least supportive and they wont vote for Obama under any circumstances.

12. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

Obama used the word "free" when describing contraceptive services in his compromise solution today. Do you think he really believes insurance companies would provide anything for "free"? If not "free", who is going to pay? What a convoluted mess!

As I have been saying the uncertainty has crippled job creation, and will continue to do so because we still don't know the much in terms of details - worse is they seem to be making it up as they go along and constantly shifting and making exceptions to please people. It is clear, they need to go back and reconsider this mess, there is no need for us to wait for the Supreme Court to say it is not Constitutional.

13. Baraka_Guru

This isn't news. It's only news for the Catholic service providers. Private health insurance companies already knew they were going to have to offer preventative health services to women at no cost beginning August 1, 2012. And now Obama seems to be placating the Catholics.

The insurers pay, which in turn may mean that those paying premiums will pay, if this is not covered with tax dollars.

However, if anything is a convoluted mess, it's the whole system itself. This is the problem with the lack of a universal health care system, especially a single-payer system. With the existing convoluted system, if you want to make changes to health coverage to help a specific susceptible group, you have to make these pseudocontroversial patchwork changes. It only seems controversial because there are so many different stakeholders and they each play different roles. This is opposed to fewer stakeholders and a more unified set of roles.

Really? This sounds like conservative propaganda. Health insurers are profiting (their profits are growing, actually), and the health care sector added more than 23,000 jobs in December alone. Coincidentally, manufacturing jobs grew by a similar amount in the same period.

But you're probably right on one count: the need to sort out the messes. But you know what? Most universal health care systems need major rejigging and adjustments, especially at their inception. And it never really stops. In the case of the U.S., it might be even more so on the basis that it's not really a universal health care plan, but an insurance scheme.

Maybe it will move in a more sensible direction down the road.

14. Aceventura

I said convoluted, because it is. If the government requires everyone to have insurance, and those who can afford it pay out of pocket or face fines/penalties/jail - how is that different from a tax? I think we agree that a simple single payer system have been easier to understand and implement. How does Canada handle contraceptives and other sexuality related issues, i.e. - erectile dysfunction, gender change, implants, abortion, etc?

15. Baraka_Guru

It's convoluted, but much of the stink over this decision for women's reproductive health is, as I say, pseudocontroversial. I sincerely hope you guys move away from the insurance scheme and into something more sensible, such as a single-payer system.

It depends on the province, as we have a convoluted system too, it's just perhaps not as convoluted as yours. Most areas I think have at least partial coverage for birth control pills. This will come from either private insurance, provincial coverage, and/or federal coverage. However, drugs aren't generally covered by the government unless you qualify for a special plan—if you're a senior, for example.

So, for example, erectile dysfunction will be covered for medical consultation, tests, investigations, and surgery if required. Any drugs will likely be paid out of pocket by the patient if they don't have private health insurance.

Sex reassignment surgery is covered by my province, but it requires vigorous psychological evaluations, so you can't go up and get one all willy-nilly. Fewer than ten people undergo such surgery each year.

Implants are cosmetic, so I doubt they have any coverage. The government typically does not cover cosmetic surgery, but rather surgeries for functional purposes. Cosmetic surgery for correcting disfiguration may be an exception. I'm not sure. Breast reduction may be covered if health issues were presented and diagnosed by a doctor.

Abortions are covered by the province.

In the U.S., how much are these things covered for free? What exactly is included in "preventative women's care" under the new plan?

16. Aceventura

I often say Obamacare is destine to fail. I say this for several reasons, one being the failure to get commitment for its success from the very beginning. As people complained about the process being rushed, as I recall many in support were saying things like "let's get something passed, we can fix it (read it) later. Not only did you have about half immediately working against it or to end it, you had a portion of the other half that lacked true commitment to what passed or perhaps did not even understand what was passed. A person schooled in the art of diplomacy and compromise would immediately know any agreement under such circumstances would not last.

I don't know. I have been writing about the uncertainties created from passage. We had a 2,000 page bill, to be followed by 100's of thousands of pages of regulations - insurance companies have been increasing premiums, few have gotten any benefit and most are waiting for the details. As details come out we get exception after exception and we get convoluted decisions like the one played out today. The Obama-care hybrid in my view is unworkable.

17. Baraka_Guru

Well, the success or failure of Insurobama will depend on how effective it is and whether all stakeholders can actually make it work. Support is another thing entirely. As I mentioned, job growth is happening in the health sector, and private insurance profits are expanding. Now it comes down to determining whether access to health care is increasing, and whether proper services are being rendered, and whether overall health care is, you know, working.

I don't see Insurobama remaining in its same form for very long. If it is a work in progress, I see it being overhauled into a better system more in line with a proper universal system.

I think the success or failure of Insurobama will depend on whether enough people want to move forward on the basic principle of expanding health care coverage to more Americans.

If people don't like it because it's a government-mandated insurance scheme, then propose what to do to change it. Scrapping it might sound like a good idea for what you see as a bad idea, but scrapping it also means delaying access to health care to needy Americans. It leads me to wonder whether those who oppose Insurobama are really that concerned about these Americans who need health care but wouldn't otherwise have it. I'm suspicious. Are they offering alternatives, or are they just crying out to scrap it? What is the ultimate goal of the opponents?

18. Aceventura

You miss the importance of my point. Assuming two opposing parties, one side can come up with the greatest possible solution, it will be rendered meaningless unless you have commitment from both sides to make it work. I personally would never walk away from a negotiation without knowing the other-side has made a commitment to the solution. Unless, I had the power to impose my will and just didn't give a "F" about the long-term consequences.

19. Aceventura

I am following the cable news coverage of this issue, CNN, Fox, MSNBC and I am not hearing any concern from Obama supporters regarding the fact that if Obama can designate contraceptives as preventative care and can mandate insurance companies to provide coverage, that the next President can come in and do the exact opposite. Why isn't that a concern?

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

It is hardly rendered meaningless when it has widespread public support. The compromise offered today will result in even wider support, yet the extreme evangelical right, not Catholics, who still wont buy into it because they want to continue to use it as a wedge issue...at their own peril. And then of course, you have the Catholic bishops who want to ban all contraception and further alienate themselves from parishioners.

• Like Like x 1