1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Willravel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

just saw this tweet:
    radiohead Radiohead

We wish the best of luck to the protesters there, but contrary to earlier rumours, we will not be appearing today at #occupywallstreet

but who knows, really?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Manic

Manic Getting Tilted

We're minutes from something.

3. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Does make me wonder, after reading that the two main organizers of OWS were the ones who put out the rumor (if it is a rumor) if their intent may have been simply to draw more people to the protest under the guise of a Radiohead appearance. But I'm cynical and conspiracy oriented.

Then again, it is being touted as a "surprise" appearance. The organizers would naturally want to leak it to draw in more people. If they do show up, it'll now be a bigger surprise and a bigger audience.

4. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

5. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

I was there around 11:30AM, no mention of Radiohead, but I thought I saw something on twitter that it was not true.

6. cynthetiq

They still have not applied for a permit.

They tried to talk he Brooklyn bridge and 700 were arrested for walking on the roadway. The rest walking on the bridge were okay andeft alone. Those on the walkway were cited for obstructing traffic.

Major Bloomnerg wonders why they have not yet gotten a permit as it is so easy to get one.

7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

the problem here for nypd is that continuing to act as they have is going to make them appear as a simple obstruction to political speech. which they are, but with the permitting process in between. one problem might be that the process doesn't recognize non-organizations. this will become a free speech issue, like it or not. from what i understand the protestors were herded toward the bridge then arrested for being there. in theatrical terms, nypd is on the losing side of this. if they were smart, they'd let the protests/occupation just happen. but i doubt they're smart.

8. cynthetiq

Anyone who has seen ANY protest in NYC knows that they do not walk on the roadway.
    --- merged: Oct 3, 2011 2:24 AM ---
    If you watch the video you'll hear them chanting "This is what democracy looks like..." Really? Because I don't believe I recall voting for blocking the Brooklyn Bridge from any traffic.

9. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I suspect they referring to the notion that a healthy democracy requires an active and engaged citizenry. Too bad about your commute though. Must have been fairly to moderately inconvenient. ;)

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

this is an interesting take on the wall st occupation:

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/728-mckenzie-wark-on-occupy-wall-street-how-to-occupy-an-abstraction

this seems to me quite fundamental:

because, the issues are not whether people who aren't part of the movement are inconvienced by it. nor is the main issue whether they file for permits. in the overall scheme of things, these are lint.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

That their occupying Wall Street isn't random. That's the de facto political heart of the country.

12. cynthetiq

Weird because voter turn out seems so low every time it is election day

13. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

But I bet that translates into a sweet commute.

14. cynthetiq

My voter polling place is the lobby of my building. I have to walk through it.

Doesn't affect my commute at all.

• Like Like x 2
  15. cynthetiq

Wild no more updates about the addition of union workers nurses, transit, construction to name a few?

Apparently today's gathering swelled to the tens of thousands no accurate counts.

16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

this is starting to blow up. bernake said, in front of a senate committee this afternoon, that he didn't blame the people doing the occupation for doing it. government is not doing anything to help people. the washington post had a series of editorials today saying, in one case, that the occupation movement was saving america and, in another, that it spelled the end of the tea party fraud. so even the dominant media--which always looks out for its own interests before anything else--its getting it. and parallel actions are organizing in most us cities...chicago, sf, philly i know about directly. so this is going to keep spreading. it's going to keep getting bigger. maybe it'll bring down this paralyzed, stupid plutocracy. it'd be about fucking time. before their paralyzed stupidity wrecks the place. and it's not a conventionally revolutionary movement...it's about splitting the existing system off from the limited, self-serving class interests who control it. it's a rejection of the joke that politics in the united states has become. at this point, i'm all for it. i'm concerned about it getting co-opted...but so far, the occupation is setting the terms and the older organizations are getting with it. maybe people are starting to wake up. again, it's about time.

17. cynthetiq

I think that there are already things in motion that make this too late to stop" I'm not referring to the movement but some of the actual things that are due fiscally in 2012.

I'm fine with the movement as they clarify their message and directives that make it less of a free for all and and actual problem/solution.

18. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i heard the same thing and it has happened before. herding people to an area and blocking off escape routes then arrests for not leaving.

19. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

Reminds me of Seattle, actually. Christ, I hope that doesn't happen again.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

I think it is great that it is growing, with protests in cities across the country, but here's the problem I still see:

My office overlooks Freedom Plaza so I'll be watching, but it is too unfocused (or too widely focused and diluting the message). I'll take pics.

• Like Like x 1