1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Willravel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

yeah...i wish it were shocking that the us press isn't reporting this information.
    but i may just be cynical about the meaninglessness of the term free press. it's much more oriented around the orchestration of consent for the existing order, no matter what it does, no matter what the problems it creates through corruption or incompetence or paralysis or a zippy combination of all three.

2. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

We don't really have a free press, at least as far as the establishment media goes. One doesn't get to be a A-list journalist in the United States by speaking truth to power because in some way or another, power is who decides who becomes an A-list journalist. Journalism in the United States seems to exist primarily to make money and protect those who currently have power, and if you look at the parent companies of the major networks, it reads like a who's who of people who would lose power and money if OWS gets any of its concerns met.

3. Alistair Eurotrash

I'm not sure we do really any more either, but I'm still grateful for the BBC. At least there is some balance.

4. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

5. Alistair Eurotrash

For commercial reasons or censorship, do you think? After all, many Americans aren't interested in non-US news.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

dont know how bvh saw this, but glenn greenwald was tweeting it this afternoon and wrote that he found it revealing of the editors' attitude toward the us readership. the other element, which is obvious but still interesting, is the avoidance of the word revolution on the cover connected with the inspiration for the occupation movement--25 january. the substitution of some banal self-help cover is typical. we in the state are not at all well-served by the corporate press. time has long been a repellent magazine politically.

7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

But Americans can still connect dots.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

So you believe in smaller, less intrusive government with a scope of power limited to protecting the Constitution of the United states....except when you prefer it to step in when things don't go the way you want them to. I really don't get you.

I'm beginning to believe that Americans must turn to the Internet if they really want to know what's going on in the world. Either that, or pick up some imported print journalism.

9. Alistair Eurotrash

I must admit, I'm confused too.

What part of the constitution prevents someone from sourcing materials from the cheapest supplier?

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it may well be that the occupation is building on a split in infotainment sourcing patterns, and appeals to people who venture outside the dominant american media shell on grounds that are different from such appeal as it has among folk who live inside that shell. people inside the shell might find ways to route their ideas of what the occupation is or represents (hard to say whats more important or if the distinction matters) through the frame of "legitimate opinion" where others might be more inclined to see that frame as arbitrary. which it is. but i digress. maybe the occupation is as much about a breakdown in media hegemony as anything else.

11. Baraka_Guru

That one should sooner turn to Twitter than Fox News should be an indication.

12. Alistair Eurotrash

No "maybe" about it in my mind. This game can't be won playing by rules set by the media - the media is part of the problem.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

twitter is a strange way to watch things happen. but it's a really useful information source, depending on how you use it of course. there are people who seem to have entire interior lives on twitter. i dont really get it. anyway, it's not like the net isn't dominated by conventional media outlets. they're just not all in one place. it's the crossing of frames that's the key, not their absence. on the other hand, on egypt in particular, the us media has largely been a joke. cnn had good positions around tahrir while they were there. and they have mona eltawhey, who's smart and in the middle of things. but, in the main, a joke, when you compare it to sources like jaladiyya and some of the better blogs (the arabist, juan cole, etc.)...not to mention the guardian and al jazeera. it's odd how much better the guardian is on the occupation than anything in the us, ain't it?

14. Eddie Getting Tilted

I prefer the government to do just as I said earlier; to protect our rights and freedoms under the Constitution. If that means keeping American corporations accountable, so be it.

15. Baraka_Guru

Okay, so you aren't a libertarian but like to think you are. Maybe you idealize it, which is common among extremist politics. I might get it now. Regardless, I think it's time to move on.

16. Eddie Getting Tilted

:cool:

17. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

18. Eddie Getting Tilted

19. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

Time Warner got greedy and bought AOL, and since magazines are "passe" they find themselves having to cut news department budgets like CNN.

It's still early but Universal bought NBC and will probably try to revamp MSNBC and CNBC until they don't live up to expense calls.

Disney lost it's major radio news outlet so ultra conservative Clear Channel can broadcast ultra conservative Faux news and sports.

The network TV stations are and have been for 20+ years cutting their network news staffs because they make "no profit, and in fact lose money"

CBS besides paying the bitch Katie Couric too much money and having a bad contract that they lost their asses on because her ratings sucked sewer water, is struggling and Viacom will probably eventually pull the plug altogether.

Newspaper giant the Chicago Tribune got greedy and stupid and bought more than they could handle (The Cubs were a huge loss for them) and newspapers in general locally just aren't doing well. The AP depends heavily on the internet exposure, UPI is pretty much if not totally defunct and has been for years.

Gannett is weighed down by a bunch of local newspapers they bought from Thomson and they appear to be struggling.

Scripps-Howard is hurting again they have local newspapers under performing

That leaves Thomson/ Reuters, who has the internet stronghold and News Corp as the only 2 news sources in the USA really showing any profit or getting audiences.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Corporations arent bad.

Corporations owning Washington is bad, made even worse since the Citizens United decision.

And banking/financial services unregulated since the virtual repeal of Glass-Steagall is bad.

• Like Like x 2