1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Of course you realize, this means class war!

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Baraka_Guru, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You mean, like, now?

2. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

In the example i specifically stated the probabilities of capital gains, in the case of US Treasuries I stated there is no possibility of a capital gain or loss. As in the case with most debt type instruments, they are structured to pay interest and then return the principle. Capital gains come into play when people buy and sell in secondary markets prior to maturity. But, I think we know a discussion about US Treasuries is outside the scope of the post. But if that is what you get out of it, it still answers my question.
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 3:53 PM ---
    If I invest money, I can generate current income and/or I can generate capital gains (or losses). If I invest in anything, I expect to calculate both in order to make an informed decision. It is very possible to incur a capital loss that is off-set by current income in a business and have it be very attractive on a risk adjusted basis. In my calculations I use US Treasuries as a basis for a risk free return, what do you use?
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 3:56 PM ---
    There is a reason for that.
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 3:58 PM ---
    I disagree. I would say it is more like the difference between eat food with nutrients or something like sugar water. People like me trading commodity futures is adding no value to the economy.

3. Baraka_Guru

Um, why do you disagree? We weren't even talking about trading commodity futures (or drinking sugar water, as you suggest).

Do you agree or disagree with the thing we were actually talking about?

4. Aceventura

You introduced bodily functions in the context of comparing that to the benefits of eating.

I believe, Obama, you and others here, think like employees. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but there is a difference. The problem is when people with an "employee" mentality think they know what is best for business , have the power to influence policy and do so without taking the time to understand the other side of the issue.

I doubt I would be able to get you to understand what I agree or disagree with.
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 4:22 PM ---
    How does investing in US Treasures contribute to net job creation?
    And certainly some investment in private enterprise may be wasted, inefficient, or lead to a net drain to society - but if you are suggesting that investing in US Treasuries on a net basis is better than investing in private enterprises in our economy, I think you are wrong.

5. Baraka_Guru

No, I introduced eating and bodily functions as both being important to human health, despite one being lauded as "the key." Both are important, which is why both are a part of the system. Sorry if this was lost on you.

What evidence do you have for this? Please no analogies or parables.

Communication is important. It's too bad there seems to be a disconnect.

6. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

once upon a time, this thread was about the recurrence of the usual conservative projection game that treats the rest of us to the right media apparatus blaming class warfare on those who mention class warfare. once upon a time, this could have been a discussion about the relation of neo-liberal policies to increased class stratification. but that would have required two or three basic conditions: some consensus about what class means as a sociological and historical category; some basic understanding about the actually existing material history of capitalism; some understanding of the basic, historically obvious linkage between capitalism and the formation of modern class structures and between the shift away from---to keep this simple---fordism (post-1945 capitalist organization) to what neo-liberals like to call "globalization" or whatever---and a quite radical **increase** of class stratification, one index of which is the massive, unprecedented transfer of wealth that's happened since the 1980s away from society as a whole and to the top 1% in terms of wealth. that's a Problem. the right "deals with it" by projecting the problem onto people who point the problem out, which is a variant of their other projection, which is to blame class stratification on the state.

but instead, we've wandered down the rabbit hole of ace's schizoid metaphysical machinery. out of a politeness i do not see the need to share, people have allow ace to swap out the terms of the discussion. now we're not talking about material reality at all---we're talking about the arbitrary assumptions that underpin ace's rickety-to-stupid make-believe substitute for capitalism in which the capitalist system itself is not really at all like its historical record, but is instead some magickal machine dropped from the sky, and all the socio-economic consequences of capitalism follow from the actions of the Bad State which, in this rickety-to-stupid counter-factual world, is as it is because it is Bad.

there's no common ground for rational discussion. we collectively either humor ace, in which case we get sucked down the rabbit hole again and again, always heading back to arbitrary claims and stupid analogies, logic problems and factual arbitrariness, or we don't.

this trainwreck of a thread is just another example of where humoring ace gets us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aceventura

It was not lost on me, I disagree. I illustrated why.

Have you read this thread? Do you want me to go through this and other threads and show instances over and over of what I mean? I am a capitalist. In my view that means that I engage in the activity of actively managing and allocating capital. I know how to do it, I know how it is done, and I know when it is not being done well. I have no clue what "evidence" you seek.

Communication is bidirectional, when there is failure I generally make the assumption it is a problem on my end - but that is not always true.
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 4:39 PM ---
    I don't "wander". I have purpose. If you let me control, isn't that a "you" problem?

Roach, what is the definition of "capitalist"?

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ace, it's really a matter of people being polite. you abuse it.

as i said, i don't see that there's a basis for any rational discussion with you. so stop asking me inane questions.

9. Baraka_Guru

It's perfectly fine to disagree with it, but you failed to demonstrate that you know how the illustration works. The confusing part was bringing commodity future into this. If you do disagree, care to tell me why?

If I give you an illustration, it's not useful to disagree with it and then simply give a different illustration in its place. It's like changing the subject instead of giving an actual criticism.

If you make a boastful and broad claim about groups of people, you should be prepared to defend it instead of deflecting the responsibility to someone else—especially to those who call you out on it. Are you going to defend it, or are you going to employ avoidance and redirection tactics as usual?

For the record, I'm a capitalist too.

10. Aceventura

Commodity futures trading for people who are not involved in the production, transport or industrial type use, are trading purely to make a profit on price changes. They add no value to the cycle, they add no real value to society, but they can generate personal wealth - it is like non-nutritional sugar water. As a society what we need are real people engaged in real businesses, making and providing real goods and services, employing real people - in other words creating real wealth.

I recall you saying you are in the publishing business. The entirety of that business is to create demand. Creating demand is what you do. Creating demand is how you make a living, yet you have a problem with understanding how demand is created. You are locked into the train of thought that demand has to come first. That is an employee state of mind.
    --- merged: Sep 28, 2011 5:51 PM ---
    As soon as you stop with the personal attacks, I will. When I go into the gutter with people, I do so knowingly and willingly - it is a personal flaw - I know I have it, do you?

11. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

people who think they're jesus have a purpose, ace.
    that you believe something doesn't make it other than irrational.
    it's just an irrational thing that you happen to believe.

the only shred of interest i have found across these interactions with you is a little demonstration of what happens when people try to compromise with someone who thinks as you do...as a function of the intellectual and ideological rigidity that comes from not really knowing what you're talking about or why you're talking about it in one way as over against another (it's just what you believe, man) to "compromise" means accepting as legitimate your frame of reference. well, i don't accept it as legitimate.

once you do, however, the discussion gets derailed onto the fake problems and stupid arguments that follow in a straight line from adopting this trickle-down/supply-side/neo-liberal framework.

so conversation is rarely about the world. it's about neo-liberal fantasies about the world.

and because you, ace, are the intellectually and ideologically rigid character, behind which i assume is a less intellectually and ideologically rigid human being (but who knows?), and because of your degree of uncontrolled identification with that frame, to get hoovered down it's byways is to talk about you.

and i'm not interested in talking about you. you are not what political debate is about.

but each trainwreck of a thread that you and your obtuseness show creates is a little demonstration of why it's almost impossible to get anything accomplished when ideological conservatives are in a position to take over conversations.

and that is, i suspect, the point.

12. Aceventura

In your post, I believe it was, #31 you wrote this in response to a hypothetical choice I presented:

The hypothetical was based on real choices being made by real capitalists every minute of everyday. You post suggested that you have absolutely no understanding of these things - yet you make continued claims about me being irrational, this or that, etc., etc. You persist in your belief that I have a problem. I got it. I got it a long time ago. You are wrong. You won't support our views with specifics. You won't answer questions. You won't even present a coherent opposing point of view other than you vague mockery of what you apparently don't understand.

You remind me of my little sister when we were kids - mom, Ace is making my brain hurt again...make his stop asking me questions...make him stop making me use my brain...To which, my mom (a very wise woman) would say...stop talking to him!

13. Baraka_Guru

Um, hello? We were talking about treasury bills, not commodity futures trading. You're changing the story and calling that your response as to why you disagree with the former story.

It's like my saying Homer's Iliad has many examples of the glorification of war, only to have you disagree by pointing out that Timothy Findlay's Wars is a great example of anti-war literature.

I'm beginning to think that you don't actually disagree with me after all. If I'm mistaken, please explain to me why you disagree instead of changing the subject.

First, your lack of understanding of how the culture industry works may help understand why your point above isn't true. We won't get into that in great detail here, because it's a bit off topic.

What I will say is that it's false and it's false in most, if not all, industries. A businesses entire raison d'etre is not to create demand. It may create demand, but it's not necessary to do so. Many businesses are actually fulfilling unmet demand. In literary publishing, this means fulfilling a highly elastic and subjective demand.

The demand for literary works isn't generated anew. It's not like we're inventing the iPod at the advent of widespread MP3 technology.

The demand for niche publishing is often merely fulfilling an unmet demand. If you walk into a Canadian bookstore, quite often the business section has a majority of books published in the U.S. So if you see retirement guides and investment guides, they're going to talk about things like 401(k)s and the like, while neglecting to even acknowledge the existence of RRSPs, RESPs, and the TFSA. It's going to talk about how mortgages are tax-deductible when in Canada they aren't—not directly anyway.

Publishing in each of these areas isn't creating a demand that wasn't there in the first place. People will always want to read new literary works (it is hoped) and there are Canadians who have a tough time finding personal finance books geared towards Canadians specifically.

In a bad economy, this demand will drop somewhat across the board. You can't eat books (though you might be able to use them for fuel). There is nothing you can do to "create" a demand for these kinds of books when people are hanging onto more of their disposable income because of uncertainty.

So while creating demand is certainly a part of many industries, it's not as be-all and end-all as you seem to be making it out to be.

So my state of mind isn't that merely of an employee; it's that of someone who's studied marketing and economics and produces trade books on the subject.

It sure beats being in the state of mind of an abstract theoretical quasi-libertarian.

14. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

nice try, ace. i've already stated my case. i do not see any basis for a discussion with you. and you continue to demonstrate the accuracy of that assessment.

15. dippin Getting Tilted

My point was much simpler than that. Interest from investment in bonds is taxed as normal income. Just like dividends from stocks. Money made from the sale of bonds is taxed at the capital gains rate, same thing for the sale of stock. As such, the choice of one over the other has nothing to do with tax policy, which clearly indicates that you don't know what you are talking about.

If people are willing to buy treasuries that pay less than inflation, therefore leading to a loss of money, the problem isn't that taxes make that more advantageous. The problem is that the private sector is too risky. In other words, we are talking actual evidence that your worldview is simply wrong. Investments in us treasuries cannot make itself any less attractive right now as they cannot pay actual negative interest. So if there are any problems in the economy, any reasons why people are investing in bonds, that is because the private sector is just that fucked up. Nothing to do with taxes. Of course, now you've turned to the usual obfuscation, but the example you gave of taxes and investment is 100% absolutely, objectively wrong.

16. Aceventura

You are note understanding the point. There are different types of economic activity, they are not all equal in terms of benefit to society. Legitimate investment in real business activity, producing real good and services...is better than A)investing in US Trasuries B) People engaging in commodity speculation.

Why does an author need your services? How do you add value for the author? Why do you get paid? Do you engage in any activity to create demand for the authors you serve? These are rhetorical questions - I know how the guy who owns the business you work for would answer them.
    --- merged: Sep 29, 2011 12:23 AM ---
    I understand your point of view. In your mind what I do and the way I think is wrong. I don't know why it has worked for me, but as they say even a broken clock can get the time right once or twice a day.

17. Baraka_Guru

Oh, I get that. You simply missed my point. And then made another one to suggest that my point wasn't legitimate. As always, you make things confusing. So, yeah, it's you who isn't understanding the point. You know, the one I made.

First of all, you don't know the guy who owns the business; I do. Second, we participate in activities that seeks to fulfill demand, for the most part, as I've said above. We don't really create demand. We're making books, which have been around for hundreds of years. These aren't really anything new, books. But they're very stable in terms of people wanting them, which is good.

Or are you talking about "real demand"? :rolleyes:

But in case you are confused, I will answer the questions anyway (as the owner would):

1) The author doesn't have the money or the resources to publish their book successfully.
    2) By providing the money and resources necessary to make their book successful.
    3) I am a part of the process that helps the book become successful.
    4) Not really. As a small press, there isn't anything we can do to create demand, and so we tend to do our best to seek out current demand in niche areas. Book publishing in general isn't well-suited to create demand, unless you consider the current shift toward digital technology and the ebook. And even then it's the tech companies and distribution that are doing the demand creation; publishers tend to simply benefit from that. And even then: much of the new demand for ebooks is merely shifting away from (or in addition to) traditional print books.

If demand falls, there is little we can do except be conservative with our book choices and use of resources. If demand falls, there really isn't anything we can do to "create" it.

Government grants and tax credits are a big help as well.

18. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

What does the government spend money on?

Who said anything about net basis? Either way, you lack data.

19. Aceventura

I agree that I should not have made specific comment about your business, I apologize for being presumptuous.

Generally, mature businesses typically address existing demand. Business responsible for economic growth in an economy, needs to create demand. In the growth phase of a business or industry demand has to be created. For example companies making traditional plug in the wall home phones can simply respond to consumer demand for those phones. It is a mature market.

Again, from a general point of view considering a comment you made about Canadian book stores being filled with a majority US books in the business section. The basic principle in play is that US publishers went into the Canadian market and created demand for books by US authors. Canadian publishers could do the same in their home market or in the US for Canadian authors or past Canadian publications. My point is that there are different mind sets in play. If one group believes in responding to demand and another group believes in creating demand - the results will reflect that - over time.

20. Baraka_Guru

I think you are placing too much emphasis on creating demand. Much of what happens in growth markets is a result of meeting demands that have gone unmet. Creating demand is a special kind of thing.

The U.S. books in Canadian markets may very well be a case of creating demand. Maybe Canadians didn't know they wanted the American perspective but now do, despite the information not all be directly relevant. However, I will state again that creating demand is just one aspect of the overall demand variable in a wider economy. Economic recovery depends largely on mature markets.

I would imagine that a lot of "created demand" is quite elastic, a characteristic that comes with its own set of considerations. For example, the elasticity in created demand is probably much higher than the elasticity in mature markets. Basically: created demand cannot be depended upon too much in an economy in a recovery.

At this point, car and home sales are more important than, say, that thing we haven't even heard of yet.

• Like Like x 1