1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2013 NFL Season Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Borla, I have no doubt that Peyton is a truly nice guy. From what I've read and seen (limited I admit), he's much like Archie in that he's a fierce competitor in uniform, and a very different person in civilian life. As for the endorsements, yes I'm tired of seeing him in so many ads, but......bloody hell, I'd also sock away as much $$$ as possible while my name & image was still worth something to advertisers.

That said, Peyton has no equal (that I can recall seeing) in the NFL when it comes to pouting after a loss, and IIRC he has even left the field without congratulating the winning team. I realize that much of that comes from his competitive nature, which is what makes him the great QB that he is.

I enjoy giving teams and players nicknnames. It's all in fun,

unless it involves the dallas cowgirls, puny romo, jackass jerry, tex sham, st. landry (sarcasm, not praise, since he's a diety to many misguided people), etc.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

No worries, I wasn't trying to pick on you. :p

Like I said, even as a Peyton fan myself I was still shocked by how overwhelmingly positive of a guy he is off the field.

3. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I'm going with The Simpsons on this one.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Not being a follower of the Seahawks myself, I'm curious to know how well folks think they'll do in the cold. Denver should be used to it, but I don't know how much experience Seattle has. That's one thing that changes with this move to an outdoor, northern venue. Even if the weather is dry, it'll likely be pretty cold and that location has a reputation for being windy.

5. Chris Noyb

Oops, I left out maryann barber. I wanted to like him after he left the cowgirls, but maryann just couldn't stop celebrating every decent run as though he has just scored the game winning TD in the SB. He stupided (IMO stupid should be used as a verb) his way out of the NFL with the Bears.

I've wondered if there was more to his deaprture from the NFL, i.e. not getting signed by a team needing at least a decent backup RB, than simply doing incredibly stupid things at just the wrong times.

6. Borla

I think the whole idea of advantages for weather due to geographic locations of teams is a bit over played. Denver is a colder weather city than Seattle for sure. But Denver is absolutely a pass first team, and Seattle is a run first team. If anything, poor weather seems to be more of a factor in the passing game, so I'd say Seattle benefits more than Denver if it is nasty out.

Right now the forecast (maybe too far out to be terribly accurate?) calls for temps in the low-mid 30s and cold rain/sleet.

I wonder how bad the forecast would have to be for the NFL to follow through on their suggestion that they might adjust the day of the game due to weather. I'd think that would have to be a "last resort" type option. Is cold rain enough to invoke it, or would it have to be Snowmaggedon?

Wow, Snowmaggedon doesn't trip the spell check. :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jager

Jager Vertical

Weather will not bother Seattle at all, they are a very physical team on both sides of the ball. The one weather factor that could play against Denver is wind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Loved this: Marshawn Lynch wins Super Bowl Media Day - SBNation.com As to concerns about the weather, Seattle can play in pretty horrific conditions. We had a couple of games at home this season where the weather was just awful--cold, wet, and windy. One game had to have a break due to lightning.

9. Borla

Right now they are calling for temps in the mid/upper 30s and 5-8mph winds. So it should be good football weather.

A lot of people around here seem less interested than normal in this SB, for whatever reason. I'm actually looking more forward to it than I was the last few years. I'll be rooting for Denver, but I don't dislike Seattle at all.

10. Chris Noyb

I'm pulling for the Seahawks, but just barely.

Seattle has never won a SB, and I like underdogs.
    OTOH, they have a great young QB in Russell, and could be SB contenders for quite a few years. A loss wouldn't be as bad for the Seahawks as it would be for Denver, a team potentially on the decline if Manning does retire.* I don't follow football closely enough to know which, if either, team is "ageing."

Peyton Manning, despite his poutin' (LOL), certainly deserves another winners SB ring.
    OTOH he already has a winners ring, & he's destined for the HOF.

* I don't buy into Manning's "I might have to retire.", barring a serious injury, esp if Denver doesn't win.

11. hamsterball

One nice thing about my team's elimination is that I can just sit back and enjoy the game.

I find it hard to build up a rooting interest if my team isn't involved. I'm hoping for a good, close well played game.

Of course, it would've been far cooler if the Iggles were playing. :)

12. snowy

• Like Like x 2
  13. hamsterball

Enjoy this to the hilt, @snowy. My team has only appeared in 2 Super Bowls, but they were both exciting as hell. It puts the game on a whole different level.

14. snowy

15. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

Report: Peyton Manning wins record fifth MVP, but at least one person didn’t vote for him | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

I don't think this will shock anyone. He had what is probably the best year of any QB in history.

17. Chris Noyb

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

That didn't make me tear up one bit... and there's no one home to prove otherwise.

I just returned home from placing my (mostly) annual Superbowl wager. To me it's a pick'em. 2 pts either way means sharps and books see it basically as a pick'em also in my opinion. Neither team is favored by over 3 or a FG. I went back a forth with this all week. I bet the NFL a little every year. I start in preseason with a firm sum. An amount I'm willing to lose. If I'm having a bad year once it's gone I quit placing wagers. If I'm doing well I have pretty solid rule of not dipping into any winnings until after the Superbowl. But this year I deviated. I found myself up a couple K and in need of a new vehicle around week six. So I broke my own rules and used some of what I was up to buy a Ford Escape Limited rather the an XLT model. This year and the year my daughter was married are the only two years I opened the piggy bank mid season so to speak. This year it was probably a good thing as I did not have many "plus .500 weeks" since. With the juice or the "vig" you really need to be plus .550 or even .600 just to break even. The year of my daughters wedding I cashed out completely and of course was happy to do so.

Anyway this year, tough call for me. For Superbowl I usually place a 3 or 4 wagers on the SB- first quarter, over/under, money line or spread etc... In the end I decided this year to place one money line bet on Denver for a 1,000 pesos which is +/- $75 as of market close Friday. For me it basically came down to I want, would LOVE, to see the Hawks win. Since my 9'ers (and their whiner coach) exited all my heart is firmly with the Hawks. So I doing what my dad did many years ago and placed a small bet on the team I don't want to win. This way if my team loses I have enough buy a nice bottle or rum or bourbon to ease my pain.

So come'on Hawks... take my money PLEASE!

19. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Go broncos...

• Like Like x 1
  20. bobby

bobby More Than Slightly Tilted ! Donor

Go home losers...GO HAWKS ! xoxoxoo