1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

On This Day in History

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tully Mars, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On July 31st in 1964, the American space probe Ranger 7 transmitted pictures of the moon’s surface.

2. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

Also on July 31, 1959, the Euskadi Ta Askatasuna (ETA) was founded. The group is known for being an armed Basque nationalist and separatist organization...

3. Xazy Vertical

The first Six flags park opened on Aug 1, 1961

4. uncle phil

On August 2, 1964, the Pentagon reported the first of two North Vietnamese attacks on U. S. destroyers in the Gulf of Tonkin...

5. uncle phil

On August 4, 1735, freedom of the press was established with an acquittal of John Peter Zenger. The writer of the New York Weekly Journal had been charged with seditious libel by the royal governor of New York. The jury said that "the truth is not libelous..."

6. uncle phil

On August 7, 1934, the U. S. Court of Appeals upheld a lower court ruling striking down the government's attempt to ban the controversial James Joyce novel "Ulysses..."

7. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

On September 14, 1899, New Yorker Henry H. Bliss became the first person in the United States to die of injuries suffered in an automobile accident. He was struck by a taxicab as he exited a trolley the day before.