1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

On This Day in History

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tully Mars, Aug 1, 2011.

1. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

Also on September 7, 1927, Philo T. Farnsworth succeeded in transmitting an image through purely electronic means by using an image dissector...

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 8th in 1974, President Ford granted an unconditional pardon to former President Nixon.

3. uncle phil

Also on Sepyember 8, 1893, n New Zealand, the Electoral Act 1893 was passed by the Legislative Council. It was consented by the governor on September 19 giving all women in New Zealand the right to vote...

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 9th, in 1976, Communist Chinese leader Mao Tse-tung died in Beijing at age 82.

5. uncle phil

Also on September 9, 1890, Harland Sanders was born...

6. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

On September 9 2001, Ahmad Shah Massoud, leader of the Northern Alliance, was killed by a suicide attack undertaken by the Taliban.

7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 9th, in 1919, New York City welcomed home Gen. John J. Pershing and 25,000 soldiers who had served in the United States 1st Division during World War I.

8. uncle phil

Also on September 10, 1813, the first defeat of a British naval squadron occurred in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812. The leader of the U. S. fleet sent the famous message "We have met the enemy, and they are ours" to U. S. General William Henry Harrison...

9. uncle phil

On September 11, 1609, explorer Henry Hudson sailed into New York harbor and discovered Manhattan Island and the Hudson River...

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 12th in 1977, South African black student leader Steven Biko died while in police custody, triggering an international outcry.

11. uncle phil

Also on September 12, 1866, "The Black Crook" opened in New York City. It was the first American burlesque show...

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 13th in 1993, at the White House, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and PLO chairman Yasser Arafat shook hands after signing an accord granting limited Palestinian autonomy.

13. uncle phil

Also on September 13, 1759, the French were defeated by the British on the Plains of Abraham in the final French and Indian War...

(i've been there; an impressive location...)

14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

On September 15th in 1959, the Soviet space probe Luna 2 became the first man-made object to reach the moon as it crashed onto the lunar surface.

15. uncle phil

Also on September 14, 1940, the Selective Service Act was passed by the U. S. Congress providing the first peacetime draft in the United States...

16. uncle phil

On September 15, 1923, Oklahoma was placed under martial law by Gov. John Calloway Walton due to terrorist activity by the Ku Klux Klan. After this declaration national newspapers began to expose the Klan and its criminal activities...

17. uncle phil

On September 16, 1630, the village of Shawmut changed its name to Boston...

18. uncle phil

On September 17, 1953, Ernie Banks became the first black baseball player to wear a Chicago Cubs uniform. He retired in 1971 known as 'Mr. Cub'...

19. And Ernie is still going strong to this day. "Let's play two.".

20. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

On Sept. 17, 1956 I won the 2nd grade spelling bee while holding hands with my beloved Christine.

• Like Like x 1