1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Online Dating Profile Photos

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by musicale, Jun 11, 2018.

1. After the recent ending of a sort-of-dating situation, I’ve decided I’d like to give my online dating profile a makeover and perhaps get some nice photos done. I’m average looking, slightly overweight and working on it.

What do you think makes for a good online dating profile photo? What sort of attitude, pose, etc do you think works?

What should it show, and what shouldn’t it show? What’s too posed, and what conveys a lack of effort?

What’s classy, and what’s tacky?

Examples welcome.

For background: I’m a 37-year-old straight male professional musician. Fairly successful, you won’t have heard of me but may have heard of some of the artists I’ve worked for. Also have interests in adventure, travel, self-development, social issues (including inequality and feminism e.g. tackling period poverty etc).

Thank you!

2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

[​IMG]

I am not the person to ask though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

I don't have an online dating profile, but I recently had a conversation with a friend who does about a similar situation like yours- they weren't sure about a photo they posted which was a full-body shot showing them smiling and outdoors. I thought it was in good taste, and told them so- the pic showed them as upbeat, and a facet of their interests.

The other important aspect was that anyone looking at the pic and judging solely on appearances is not going to go any further to make contact- but you wouldn't want to waste your time with such a person anyway, either. So I guess the bottom line is that make sure your pic tells this message: "What you see is what you get." :)

Good luck! :)

(On a side note, I thought I read something about a person looking more attractive if they're not looking directly into the camera, but slightly off to the side. If I can find that article online, I'll post it here.)

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

For the profile pic, keep it simple with a smile...make sure it's a good clear pic of you in a good humor and decent clothes.

you'd be surprised how many put up pics with them in a bad mood or bad light or not clear. Think of this as your main ad. (and you ALWAYS want a pic)

don't do any pics with shirts off...there is a double-standard...women don't like men with shirts off in online dating, women can show as much skin as they want.

For the remainder, show some variety of what you do.
    In suits, in sports, doing hobbies, even your dog if it's cute. (aww)

Everything should show you in a good mood, clear and in a cleaner area.

Yes, it is VERY biased and unrealistic. But you're trying for volume and putting your best foot forward.
    They don't have to be perfect...or "setup" but think about if you were trying to impress a bit for the first date. Still keep it real and natural, no "cliche" poses.

Helps if you have a "few" with friends to show you're not a loner...but mostly its about you.
    Some people make the mistake of having every pic with friends.

BTW...don't show ones with other women close by...even if they're just friends or family. (only if part of a group and a couple of places away)
    Yes...they do scare off easy and wrongly think you're a player and this is an ex-gf or other rival. (yes, this is silly...but it IS a factor)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I met my current GF on an online dating site, I overlooked anyone who was not smiling. Some of these women look like they are contemplating homicide... if you look at your pic, are you someone you'd want to talk to?

Also, avoid the stupid image tricks. I for one, want to see YOU. Not you with rabbit ears and whiskers. And show me your face, not your favorite rock or puppy dog poster or whatever.