1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Opening own business

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ralphie250, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

As most of y'all know i am a transmission man. I have been doing it for 16 years. I am contemplating opening my own shop. I have no experience with doing it. I can do the work, and the clerical part but don't know how about going about it. How much down, etc.... Have you done it? Can you give me some help please. Only reason I've never done it before is cost of health insurance. But now that i look at it, its not that much more than I'm paying now.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The success rate of startups is rather low. In most cases, fewer than a third of businesses will still be around ten years after being launched. If you have no business experience, the risk is much higher.

But don't despair. There are ways around this.

Besides taking some basic courses in business management, you could also look into the idea of becoming a franchisee. If there is one thing that can significantly reduce the risk of starting a business and keeping it running, it's franchises. McDonald's. Have you heard of them? This is an example of a widely successful franchiser. Very few McDonald's franchises fail. (Or have failed, as the case may be.)

The thing with franchises, especially those that have been around for a while, is that they have a tried and (mostly) true system of operations. They know what works and what doesn't based on successes and failures of the past. They refine their system until it becomes a model for success.

Do franchises besides McDonald's fail? Certainly. Failure is still an option to franchisees who can't or won't make the franchiser's system work for them. There will still be outside factors as well, but if you're looking for a way to mitigate risk or to ensure you're covering all your bases, consider franchising.

So I guess as a transmission man, you could look at transmission repair franchises. Perhaps have a look at this to start: Transmission Repair Franchises.

Be very judicious when evaluating franchise opportunities. Also, don't think it's the only option. You could buy an existing indie business. You could still build something of your own. I just wanted to float some ideas out there for you.

(However, if you have little business knowledge, I'd still consider some kind of business education to get you up and running. Consider, at least, checking out the book The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Good advice by @Baraka_Guru .

I think step one would be to take a business management class at a local community college. You might also browse the book store or Amazon for books on starting your own business.

The difficult part of getting most businesses off the ground isn't doing the actual work/service the business provides (in this case fixing transmissions), but in all the OTHER stuff. Accounting, tax compliance, marketing, business strategy, budgeting etc.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Actually most new businesses fail because they are undercapitalized from the start.
    I have no idea how much money would be involved in starting a transmission business but I am guessing there are some expensive man-toys like lifts, tools etc that would be needed from day one, in addition to the building.
    You need some idea of what the initial capital requirements would be, and then a bunch more money as a cushion while you actually get the business up and running.

• Like Like x 2
  5. redux

redux Very Tilted

You might check out SCORE Atlanta - a program where retired business execs help start ups and new small businesses from workshops to personal mentoring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ralphie250

Can i get the business books at Barnes and noble kinda places or is there a better place o look

7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

You can likely get them for free at your public library.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ralphie250

never thought about that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

The library should have them.

You will need to write a business plan, see if banks will lend you money if you need it, form a LLC, do market research to see what the demand is, know what tax info you need to save, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

10. Baraka_Guru

Every business owner should have a library card. :p

• Like Like x 7
  11. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

There is no better price than FREE.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baraka_Guru

"See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in fifty years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own, and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a fuckin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!"​
    --Will Hunting to Clark in Good Will Hunting

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

This /\.

My understanding is most new business owners underestimate how much money they will need to cover expenses before they start making a profit, and how long it'll take to make a profit. There's also a need for some reserve finances should you hit a rough patch after you get over the initial startup.

14. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Hubby and I have recently looked into starting a few different business ideas... Brew shop, rock climbing gym, franchised day care, used bookstore, greenhouse, avionics supply... A real smattering of our interests. In every instance, we realized it will take us nearly 30 years of scrimping and saving to come up with enough of a buffer to make it a possibility. We're still looking around, still saving, but it seems we'll be saving in the hopes that our daughter will be able to start her own business someday.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ralphie250

the up front money, is that something you have to have to have at the time or will a bank do a small business loan?

16. Baraka_Guru

Do you have collateral?

Seriously though: Read a book or two on starting a small business. They will answer many questions like these. You can get funding for a startup through various means, including loans. But they all have pros/cons.

17. ralphie250

define collateral? i have my house that is almost paid for.
    i ahve gotten a few books over the last few days, i just havent had time to sit down and read them yet

18. Baraka_Guru

Banks like houses. But, of course, if you use that as collateral, you'd basically be putting the roof over your family's head on the line for a risky venture.

Given what I just wrote, I'd read the books. :p

• Like Like x 2
  19. ralphie250

i am, dont worry

• Like Like x 1
  20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

There is the 'other peoples money' idea.
    See if you can find some people who believe in you and get them to put in the cash.
    Of course then you need a real good lawyer to write up the papers on how it all gets paid back (or doesn't if things don't work out).
    The government has programs for small businesses, too.
    I'm sure there are books on that.

Make sure you have a plan drawn out and some smart people to help you.
    Make sure the legal stuff is nailed down and that you're thinking 3 or 4 years down the road.

• Like Like x 1