1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

OREGON

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by DAKA, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

This is getting out of hand....there is a school board that is changing the name of some schools that have LYNCH in the title....(named after family that donated the land the school is on)
    WTF is is OREGON.....you A$$TARDS have lost it.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

You have some strong feelings about these subjects today. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

This isn't really a big deal.

And if you just moved to the area, were black, and had no idea of the history, can you see how it might make you feel a bit jumpy?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. THIS!

or if you're black and looking to move to the area, you may change your mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. What teh fuck is this rating bullshit?

• Like Like x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

@ZombieSquirrel the emoticon system is a work in progress I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

This type of story really doesn't get me too worked up in either direction.

But let me propose a "devil's advocate" viewpoint that hopefully will get considered with an open mind....

In this case, a family apparently cared so much about making education accessible in the local community that they gave a substantial gift to the public, namely the land for a public school. The community showed appreciation for that generous and benevolent gift by naming the local schools after that family. Even after the land for that original school was sold (and it's probably safe to assume the school or school district used the funds from the sale for more land/buildings), the tradition of naming schools after that original family continued. Seems innocent and happy on the surface. Tons of small communities name roads, parks, libraries, schools, and other public landmarks after local families, especially ones who have given large gifts or services to the area.

However, in this case, the name of that family is "Lynch". In this country the idea of a lynching carries racial overtones for sad, but largely accurate, reasons. What many people may not realize is that the surname "Lynch" has a completely different origin and meaning from the English word "lynch". The name "Lynch" in the US is usually an Anglicized version of the Gaelic name "Ó Loingsigh", which means "mariner". There are also some English families with the name "Lynch", but again this has nothing to do with the meaning of "lynch" in current vernacular, and most in the US with the name "Lynch" got it from the Gaelic form, not the English form.

So, in this case, the offense at the schools having "Lynch" in their name is largely based on ignorance. I don't say that in a mean spirited way, but in the literal sense that those people almost surely didn't start out with all the proper information about the local history and the name meaning when they got offended. Stuff like that happens all the time. Most of us have had an instance where someone offends us by word or deed, then later we realize we misunderstood their actions and we had no legitimate reason to be offended. While that doesn't remove the fact that we had the feeling before we got full understanding, it does allow us to change our perception when presented with all the facts.

I'd argue that the best approach here would be to educate, though possibly with some compromise on the name to help remove the idea of actual lynching. One of my elementary schools was named after a notable local. At the beginning of each year some teachers made it a point to spend a few minutes teaching the class about that person, what they did, and why the school was named after them. A local library named after the same person had a plaque out front explaining the notable contributions that person made to the community.

Instead of making a change based on an inaccurate perception that the school might be named after the act of lynching, why not add a plaque near the main entrance with a note about the family's gift? Why not spend a few minutes at the beginning of each year explaining a little something about the gift and use it as a lesson about generosity, giving to charitable causes one finds worthy, or the value of making contributions to help others be educated? In addition, and to remove the immediate thought of lynching from the name, why not add first names to the schools' names? Everything I've read about this refers to the "Lynch family" of giving the gift. There is probably an original "Mr. and Mrs. Lynch" who owned the property that was gifted, perhaps they could each have their first names placed on a school? Or put both of their names on one school and change the names of the other schools?

To me a solution like that makes far more sense, and is a more nuanced and reasonable reaction. Because if we are simply going to leave it at "the last name Lynch is bad because it makes black people think of getting lynched", I think that's a net negative. After all, won't there some day be a school, library, or other gesture of public appreciation for the first black, female Attorney General? If Harvard decides a library or hall or whatever should be the Loretta Lynch Law Library, which we all know would be called the Lynch Law Library, are we going to argue people can't differentiate between the person "Lynch" and the act "lynch"? I don't think so, nor should we. On a local level I think the same argument holds true of an elementary school. Do some educating, so people know that the school is named for a person/people who did something good. Make it a noteworthy positive, so people get the difference. My $.02.

Ugh, that ended up way longer than I anticipated on a topic I really don't feel that strongly about, but by the time I got halfway through it I figured I might as well finish. :p

Oh, and I LOVE the new rating systems. Now I can go back and call @ZombieSquirrel "dumb" thousands of times....

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. DAKA

Borla
    Right on....I love THE LYNCH LIBRARY
    Here in Ft lauderdale, actually Hollywood FL, they are trying to change the names of some streets....they don't like the Confederate Generals.
    So, when you think about it, these POLITICIANS, are going to inconvenience how many people who live on these streets and now have to change Drivers Licenses Mortgage documents...etc...at whose cost....what a C O C Crock Of Crap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I think we need to change the channel from Fox News to something else for @DAKA. He really needs to stop watching the news. I'm sure it's bad for his blood pressure and caps lock key.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DAKA

you are right.....no more news .. at 82 I need to watch my bp...(and to think that "I've heard it all", boy was I wrong)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I think everyone should just keep right on walking on eggshells. Offense is where you find it, and some will always find some offense to be taken.
    Just to show their "solidarity" these same folks had better steer clear of Jack Daniels Bourbon (made in Lynchburg, TN) and should be properly horrified by the very idea of Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing. Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 11.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 12.01.40 AM.png

I wonder if every self-respecting African-American has taken enough offense to move out of Lynchburg, TN? Or, at least petitioned the City Council to change the town's name? I'm sure that the Council would be "very comfortable" with changing the name to avoid offending ...

• Like Like x 4
  12. DAKA

Lindy
    GOOD ONE

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

"...why not add first names to the schools' names? Everything I've read about this refers to the "Lynch family" of giving the gift. There is probably an original "Mr. and Mrs. Lynch" who owned the property that was gifted, perhaps they could each have their first names placed on a school?"
    @Borla your suggestions at a peaceful resolution are very sound ideas, or even just one of the families names or initials preceding Lynch.

Racism here in the Pacific Northwest is growing far more vocal since the election and after the travesty of what Jeremy Christian did on the Max it has become an even more heated topic.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DAKA

It's "barry's" fault

15. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

@DAKA What? From the Flash?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

If Barry would stop putting his dick in the timeline, then we wouldn't have any of these problems.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Sierra Vertical

I think you make good points Borla. Although I think it can be a considerate positive to change the name it can also be a positive to periodically raise the conversation. This clarifies what the name is and what it isn't. Racist outlooks don't change when something is taken out of sight but what can help the change is to raise a discussion. And, well, just my 2 cents too.

• Like Like x 4
  18. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Don't forget this guy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
  19. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

WHAT!!! Erase the creator of Eraserhead?

Dear families with the surname Lynch:

Due to the possibility that some folks somewhere might take offense at your family's surname you will be required to select a new surname by Dec. 31, 2017. So that people of color, and families with kin that are cattle rustlers, horse thieves, and stage coach robbers may feel safe and non-threatened.

Watch out Nygards, you're next.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Ironically, one of the most popular athletes of the last decade, in the Pacific Northwest, is this guy:

[​IMG]

Marshawn Lynch, who helped the Seattle Seahawks win a SuperBowl and now plays for the Oakland Raiders.

If you want an hour or more of entertainment, Google "Marshawn Lynch Conan O'brien" and watch some of their videos together. Lynch is hilarious. :D

I wonder what they will change the back of his jersey to say, instead of "Lynch". :p ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3