1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

OSTs

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by ace0spades, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I love listening to soundtracks/scores from games, tv shows and movies. Here are some of my favourites:

Movie: The Fountain - Clint Mansell's use of repetition allows him to build a theme without it being boring. Amazing stuff.

TV Show: Cowboy Bebop - There simply isn't a better soundtrack to a TV show. It has everything.

Game: Final Fantasy 3/6 Grand Edition - Listening to an actual orchestra/chorus do this justice was so, so cool.

Special mentions (will update later with more as I remember them):

Movie: Lord of the Rings, 28 Days Later

TV Show: Game of Thrones, Hikaru no Go

Game: Portal 2, Street Fighter IV

2. Redlemon

Redlemon Getting Tilted

Movie: Beetlejuice. I think it is Danny Elfman's best work, simultaneously dark and funny. I knew from the opening credits that I was going to have to buy the album.

3. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

Movie: Akira - The soundtrack was performed by a Japanese musical collective called Geinoh Yamashirogumi. The compositions are dark and unique.

4. ace0spades

LOVE that soundtrack! :) Another one I enjoyed from him (amongst many) was The Frighteners

I forgot about Akira - That's another great Anime soundtrack. The choral stuff is haunting.

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

the animatrix, lincoln lawyer, pokemon, Waiting (the movie) and more that i can't think of right meow

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Movie soundtrack: Theme to the first Addams Family movie with Houston.
    27 seconds into this vid, you get the 'ballroom' version of it.

At the beginning of the movie, it is brought in, delicately emerging from the storm and the rain. I have always been a sucker for quirky walzes with a hint of darkness.

Game Soundtrack: Outcast. Lennie Moore walked into my Hall of Fame when he conducted the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Choir with his composition. Here it is in its entirety:
    http://www.lenniemoore.com/sounds.html#Outcast
    The piece 'Ocriana' is an essential part of my life, and alongside the work of Beverly Hoch provides foundation to my own musical directions.

TV Series: I have a few favourites from different periods:
    Laurie Johnson's work on The Avengers - Not only was the theme magnificent, he was able to turn the jazz orchestra into a member of the cast. Similarly his work in 'The professionals'
    Joel Goldsmith's work on Stargate SG1 never fails to move me - which might not surprise you, given the strength of Lennie Moore's influence on me.
    At present, Joseph LeDuca has attracted my attention with his work on the soundtrack to the TV series 'Leverage'.
    Barry Gray's Compositions for 'Thunderbirds' are part of my DNA ... here is a link to a host of audio snippets! Click the icons on the far left

7. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Amen. Yoko Kanno is amazing.

I really like the "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" soundtrack as well. Just love the history.

Oh, and we can't forget the Katamari Damacy soundtrack. Does it get better than that? Probably. But more entertaining? Definitely not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

9. ace0spades

I think I enjoyed the top youtube comment more than the video (but I definitely liked the track!):

"Once you take a shit while this song is playing, you can't shit no more without it. It's like a whole new world, a shit without this is song isn't a shit, I know you all can try to take a dumb without this song, but its isn't the same anymore.... You never know what life beautiful can, a simple task like taking a dump can be so awesome.... It actually changed my bathroom life..."

lulz.

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I like the Battlestar Galactica, Inception, and Lord of the Rings soundtracks as well.

Besides that, I also like the Punch-Drunk Love soundtrack.

Not many film soundtracks stick in my mind these days. A lot are really generic.

In gaming, I love the soundtracks to Dragon Age: Origins (Inon Zur) and Age of Conan (Knut Avenstroup Haugen). Some samples:

11. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I have the 5 disc cowboy bebop collector's edition and includes a live CD of Yoko and The Seatbelts where she plays a lot of CB songs. The live version of "Rain" is motherfucking awesome. We also can't forget the Cowboy Bebop movie OST. Also awesome sauce.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex had a kick ass electronic OST (by Yoko), two songs on there were fucking awesome. I need to find this again, great songs for my running playlist.

LOTR OSTs are awesome, I love listening to them while playing anything that involves hitting another person with a sword til they die. Conan and Gladiator had good OSTs.

Braveheart had a great OST. My best friend and I used to play it while we played Magic:TG.

I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me about Yoko Kanno and CB. I now have a stronger base for my running playlist.

12. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Daftpunk - Tron Legacy was excellent.

Anything by Hans Zimmer (Inception), Vangelis (Last of the Mohicans) or Ennio Morricone (The Mission)

13. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

The Lost In Translation soundtrack opened up a whole new genre of music for me.

And the Clay Pigeons soundtrack remains one of my all-time favorites.

14. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i'm calling shenanigans on this one. The Grid would've been cool had the Dude not been talking halfway though it. not to mention, the OST only has Daft Punk in it as collaborators with the orchestra. Had it been pure Punk, I think we would've had face-melting results, but then that would've turned Tron into a movie with no talking, just 3 hours of queasy adrenaline dipped fight scenes and sweet victory music, which is fine by me but i dont think the kiddos in in Walt "i hate jews with the force of 1000 mel gibsons" Disney's entertainment plots or movies would get it. it would complete my life and would be the source of many a cyber wet dream if such a movie was made.

what'll really be interesting is where Daft Punk takes their music from here, especially with the rise and fall of dubstep which seemed to have the lifespan of a really great caffeine addiction. they got massive influence from the original Tron, so now what neon cyberpunk wizardry are they going to have to conjure up to keep their fans listening, the bass pumping, and the ecstasy swallowing? i cant wait to find out

15. Lucifer Slightly Tilted

Well, I don't know about all that, I just downloaded the soundtrack from bit torrent and it sounded good to me as it was my first experience with Daft Punk.

16. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Scott Pilgrim - What can I say, the 8-bit Universal opening, the Sex Bob Omb songs, the bass battle, the Black Sheep cover... loved it!

17. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

You need to get Homework and Discovery if you haven't got them already.