1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoors Shooting Range: Advice and Pointers Wanted

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by Chris Noyb, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I am needing to test and sight in a couple of rifles, which will require a trip to an outdoors shooting range. My last trip to an outdoors range was over 25 years ago.

Obviously reading, understanding, and following the range rules is very important. The number of people shooting will affect how things go.

I've heard horror stories about lax (non) enforcement of the rules.
    And more horror stories about overly picky, and aggressive, rangemasters.

I don't have any specific questions,
    just looking for some general advice.

2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Last time I went to an outdoor range was on BLM property in Grand Junction out past the airport. Just public space with a concrete pad and tin roof for shade. No range master, just try to agree not to shoot each other. I always wanted to wear my body armor under my regular clothes because there are some crazies out there. Only 50 miles from Lauren Boebert's district. Real anti government right wing fascists and sovereign citizens. Some of the ditches had old appliances that people dragged out there to shoot up.

3. Chris Noyb

Back in the early '80s near my apartment there was an old sandpit converted to a shooting range. Basically pay your money at the very small travel trailer, then walk to the pit that appears empty, or the least crowded. You and the other shooters worked out the "rules." Driving along the busy road near The Range you could hear bullets whizzing by.

4. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

The local Izaak Walton League runs an outdoor range here. Pretty comprehensive, but you must be a member. I took a tour and it looked good, but I just don't have much interest anymore. Kind of sad. I was once a pretty good OK skeet shooter especially. 25 straight occasionally.:) With a 20 gauge.

Izaak Walton Rifle & Pistol Ranges:

• 7-15-25-Yard pistol range
    • 25-50-75-Yard rifle /pistol range
    • 100-yard rifle range
    • 100-200-300-Yard supervised use rifle range (This range is only open when we have one of our Lincoln Ikes approved supervising RSOs on site.)
    Automatic trap range with patterning board

• Our current members have access to three traps most days throughout the year
    Archery Range

• Our archery range has several lanes where all of our members can hone their archery skills needed for hunting or sport.

5. Chris Noyb

The trip to the range went well...if you don't count my accuracy :p.

A few rules I found inconvenient, esp the open bolt/action, which meant I had to make several trips from the station to the range. I never realized a gun inside a zippered bag and/or latched case was considered dangerous. Oh well, it's a municipal (city owned) range so liability and insurance mean strict rules.

The good news is my AK SAR1 functions just fine. The unmarked metal magazine, and the polymer magazines, Magpul Pmag and Tapco, functioned without a hitch.