1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Paleo recipes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Glad I could help you clarify :) have fun with it. Paleo is definitely not for everyone!

2. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

I didn't know what this was, had to look it up. My Son and I did Atkins, it was doable and it worked. what got me was that about 75% of the grocery store was off limits. I was surprised

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The hardest parts are cutting grains and alcohol. Like I said earlier, I plan on "cheating" 1-2 nights per week, so I can have a piece of bread, some beer, or a drink. I love meat and veggies, and was never a huge pasta or rice person, so that helps. Breads are good, but I can do it. It's more about planning ahead for me, rather than having specific cravings for things I can't have.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Um... Yeah, me and alcohol still have a moderate relationship. It's worth it. ;)

5. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Meatza tomorrow!!

6. Borla

We had that late last week. It was pretty good, will do again. :cool:

7. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Twice now I've had it and have loved it. I don't even miss the cheese.

8. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

I go paleo when I can, and I got started here: Paleo Diet Made Easy by Paleo Plan

They have weekly menu lists and shopping lists. My husband eats a ton more than I do, so where this might call for 2 meals (1 meal plus leftovers) for 2 people, we would eat in one sitting. They do both a "flex" option and a "strict" so if you were aiming for 5-6 days, this might be a start.

If nothing else, it's a good way to become familiar with paleo friendly ingredients, and find out what flavors work best for you. It was a fun way to try vegetables we had not had, and get familiar cooking with coconut oil and other spices.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Borla

The hardest part is wanting a beer with certain foods.

I love anything like a taco. Last night we had taco salad. I always have a couple beers with tacos, because it just goes together.

However, I have a business dinner tomorrow night, and I've said I'm only going to eat non-paleo one weeknight and one weekend night. I'd much rather have a drink or two when out tomorrow night, so I had to pass.

In the meantime, I have trimmed off 5lbs in the last two weeks, so that is a positive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Just add the beer and call it the Viking diet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

That is an offensive stereotyping and scandogynistic remark.;) The Nordic Anti-defamation League will be in touch.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

Hey, I'm a descendant of the Normans.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Borla

So far so good. For the last 10-12 days I've been doing a Primalish version of Palio. I've taken one evening each week and one evening each weekend to eat and drink whatever I like, without going super crazy. I do feel like I have a bit more energy, I've lost weight, and the only thing I really crave is a beer or two after work some days, or a glass of wine with or after dinner. Otherwise it's not too tough at all, it just takes more planning when traveling.

14. Baraka_Guru

In other news, I'm considering moving to a Paleo-centric diet (I'm allowing oats but no other grains), which will begin in full force on Monday.

Part of the reason is that I'm training for the Spartan Race on July 18th. I do, however, also have a Muay Thai test at the end of May, so I guess it's going to be for that too. These tests can be brutal. (And up to two hours!)

I did a similar diet—uh, last year?—and I found it was beneficial to my training. I will probably eat a lot of very simple recipes. Mostly just adding components together.

I will be training at least three days a week (two hours each day), but hopefully up to four days a week between May and July (or about seven hours a week).

Anyway, does anyone have any experience (or interest) in a Paleo-type diet as far as training is concerned? Any tips? Meal planning tricks? Portable food ideas welcome. Easy/simple foods preferred. As for portable foods, there likely won't be refrigeration or reheating possible, though I like lots of food cold. It will need to keep for a few hours. Though maybe I should get a decent insulated lunch bag and maybe a thermal container for hot stuff.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'll ask the hubs. He stuck to paleo while Xfitting 5 days a week and again when he hikes the AT.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Borla

Cashews are a good snack.

Also, you can make meat roll-ups. Take some good sliced roast beef and put a pickle or something in it, cheese if you are allowing yourself that, and whatever veggies you want in there. Roll it all up with the meat on the outside and stick it in a baggie. Would last hours in a insulated lunch bag, and you can eat one for a snack or several for a lunch.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I do meat roll ups and paleo tortillas.

18. Baraka_Guru

Meat rollups sounds like the way to go.

I'm already all over nuts and seeds: almonds and hemp hearts, mainly. Though I do love cashews. They're like candy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I do a serving of dried fruit, nuts, unsweetened dried coconut, and Enjoy Life bits. A great grab-and-go carb is the original Larabar. Nothing but fruits and nuts. Avoid the peanut ones though,if you're sticking to paleo. With a 12m boiled egg wrapped in two slices of Applegate Naturals or Trader Joe's deli meat and I have a quick lunch. I also make a lot of soups, stews, hashes, and stuff that can be eaten at room temperature. Roast a metric fuck ton of Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, Japanese sweet potatoes, and other roots the night before with a bunch of ham or bacon. Wrap it the next day in blanched kale leaves, sliced ham, or a paleo tortilla and you're portable. I also have a lot of sectioned lunch containers.

20. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member