1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Recipe Paleo recipes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Borla, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

So I'm about 6-7 weeks in to this adjustment. I'm not going hardcore into 100% Primal, but I am following it about 5 days per week. When I make exceptions, I try to not go crazy with them. Maybe I'll take one meal off in a day. Or I'll have a glass of bourbon after dinner. Or eat a piece or two of wheat or whole grain bread. But I'd say that 75-80% of my meals/snacks are falling within typical Primal guidelines.

Doing so, I've lost some weight, 13.5lbs. I might be sleeping a touch better. I have a bit more energy, and find getting going in the mornings mostly easier (DST adjustment as an exception, lol).

The hardest part remains grabbing lunch while on my travels for work, or late night snacks. I have to plan ahead to have some pecans or peanuts handy, or some meat roll-ups, or whatever. I have to restrict myself from grabbing a beer with dinner or after work. Not that I've given it up completely, but I put some calculated thought into when it is worth it and when it's not.

So far so good.
    --- merged: Mar 9, 2015 at 10:55 AM ---
    So I'm about 6-7 weeks in to this adjustment. I'm not going hardcore into 100% Primal, but I am following it about 5 days per week. When I make exceptions, I try to not go crazy with them. Maybe I'll take one meal off in a day. Or I'll have a glass of bourbon after dinner. Or eat a piece or two of wheat or whole grain bread. But I'd say that 75-80% of my meals/snacks are falling within typical Primal guidelines.

Doing so, I've lost some weight, 13.5lbs. I might be sleeping a touch better. I have a bit more energy, and find getting going in the mornings mostly easier (DST adjustment as an exception, lol).

The hardest part remains grabbing lunch while on my travels for work, or late night snacks. I have to plan ahead to have some pecans or peanuts handy, or some meat roll-ups, or whatever. I have to restrict myself from grabbing a beer with dinner or after work. Not that I've given it up completely, but I put some calculated thought into when it is worth it and when it's not.

So far so good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

So I know this thread is a little old, but I've just recently been trying to get back into a paleo-ish diet after having tried and failed at it once before. I had to stop by to thank @noodle for the Meatza recipe. I had it for dinner tonight and it was amazing. I'm looking forward to trying the tortillas as well as soon as I get the arrowroot starch. Substitutions are getting a little easier for me now, but I'm still missing bread for sandwiches, and I'm hoping those will help. Still missing pasta too, and I haven't found a spaghetti squash recipe that I can deal with yet. But I think overall I'm getting the hang of this.

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Otto's Cassava Flour has an awesome sandwich bread recipe. I make it weekly and have really enjoyed ham and hardboiled egg sammiches with veganaise, cornichons, and a little organic yellow mustard. It's been an amazing 1:1 substitution for regular flour and behaves the same way... Totally bizarre and delicious. None of the sweetness from coconut flour or over-denseness from almond flour. LOVE.
    And, I'm glad you're enjoying the Meatzas!
    Tonight was barbacoa from PaleOMG. Ridiculously good.

4. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Pasta = sweet potato noodles from the Asian grocery stores. They're the clear ones you get in japchae from Korean restaurants. Two thumbs up!

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My BSIL from Scotland suffers from celiac disease. She was surpised that most restaurants here offered a relatively large number of glutten-free items. I explained that it little to do with celiac disease, and much to do with current diet trends/fads.

6. Borla

Tonight we had something similar to meatza. Except, instead of the meat crust in the recipe above, we used chicken breasts pounded flat. It was pretty tasty. :)

7. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Had to do an internet search to see what a paleo diet was, sounds interesting.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I made this completely paleo dinner tonight. It was the schizz...
    [​IMG]

Paleo nuggets and tots.
    You can make almost anything paleo.

9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

It's time for some action.

I've been ounceing up since Thanksgiving week, and as of Jan 2nd I was up to 114.8 and haven't been able to shed any of it since. So much for 'stable weight.'

In looking at a short term food diary, I see that I've been hitting way too much of those whole grain things like steel cut oatmeal, whole wheat bread, tortillas, and pizza. And where the hell did those two bags of Brownie Brittle go? I'm having some craving issues.:( My diary shows too much processed stuff in general, like diet Coke and Tonic water. Just generally not paying attention to what I'm putting in my body.

I'm going to return to the basic low carb (ala Atkins) meat, fish, fats, greens, and berries diet to shed four or five pounds. That may not seem like much, but on my body it is definitely noticeable, mostly in how my jeans fit. I like them to fit snug in the butt and loose in the waist. Now they're just too tight all the way around. Plus, carbs make me retain water. I need to nip this in the bud.

I went through the kitchen and threw out a bunch of high carb stuff just to lessen temptation. I even gave away a half bottle of good single malt Scotch.:( Sig laughs at me, says I'm not fat, and not to worry, but I don't like the direction this is headed. My body image is important to me and I don't want it to go to hell a few pounds at a time without fighting back.

10. Borla

I was in western IA this week. If I knew there was a bottle of good single malt Scotch up for grabs I would've driven the extra hour or two to pick it up.

You know, to help you with your clean eating and all. :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindy

I think I was a bit hasty with the Scotch.:( It's not like it was gonna spoil if I left it sit for a month or two.

12. Lindy

Well, it's been a week with no sugar, no HFCS, no candy, no artificially sweetened soda, tea, or anything else. No rice, bread, potatoes, pizza, or starchy veggies. No whole grains, no alcohol, no processed or prepackaged food at all.

I'm consciously reading labels and saying no to stuff that doesn't fit my plan. I feel great, and I've lost four pounds.:) I'm happy to be back on the low carb track.

13. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Yo, Paleodorks has a huge thing right now if you sign up for their newsletter. Which you can then send to spam. I ended up with an amazing amount of new info and whole cookbooks. Even has health and beauty info, and a boatload of stuff for bodybuilding and weight training. Just thought I'd share here, like I did on Faceyspacew. I'm going to try the fermented foods section and some of the buttered broth and soups (and the four major chocolate cookbooks) whole hubs is hiking next weekm

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lindy

Thanks for the tip @noodle. I could never do true paleo because I would never give up dairy, and have no intolerance or any reason to. But I did sign up, and there's a lot of useful info on the giveaway site, and probably the newsletter as well.

15. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I made paleo Easter dinner.

[​IMG]

Big fucking Cajun brisket. Pickled eggs. Salad. Hasselback hannahs. For dessert, we have coconut milk ice cream made with basil and strawberries roasted in balsamic vinegar.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lindy

That all looks really good!:)

17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

It was sooooo good. The brisket will be a redo, soon. We were fooled by the texture of the cap/fat line through the brisket and it went over by about 30m. But it was crazy delish.

18. wye

wye Getting Tilted

Any diet aimed to promote health in accord with sound nutritional evidence should focus on setting a caloric intake appropriate for one's BMI, gender, and lifestyle while still ensuring appropriate and diversified consumption of macronutrients and fulfilling recommended intakes for each micronutrient. Low-carb diets can be effective for weight loss (especially at the start due to the rapid loss of water from depleted glycogen storage) because they reduce overall intake and maintain a state of ketosis, but high levels of protein (especially animal sources of protein) and lipid intake in lieu of carbohydrate consumption have been repeatedly demonstrated by randomized controlled trials to correlate with increased mortality from a variety of conditions ranging from cardiovascular to kidney disease. To anyone attempting an extreme low-carb diet, please do so under the guidance of your physician or a registered dietician.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  19. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Welcome to the Paleo thread. We've had this discussion elsewhere, so those that participate are aware of what will work for them. Paleo works for me. And I use macros as well, with encouragement to others to do what works for them, too. I eat meat, veg, and fruits with few exceptions. I've had more tests than most people on the planet, and, other than my headaches, my lab work and health are better than they've ever been. Works for me, not for everything.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Wait... Paleo is far from low carb, if you're doing it responsibly. I'm confused.

• Like Like x 1