1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Pandemic Shopping Spree

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by DamnitAll, Aug 15, 2020.

1. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Along the same lines of posting your later purchase (pics of mine to come later, probably), but more specific.

Did anyone else react to the coronavirus lockdowns with gratuitous online shopping that may or may not have been pandemic-related? If so, what did you buy, and was it worth it? Any regrets?

Top of mind...

• A bidet toilet seat—hands down one of the best investments I’ve made in recent memory
    • A 24mm lens for my DSLR
    • New laptop (MacBook Pro)—needed it when I started working from home in April
    • WiFi extender ^^^ ditto
    • Replacement portable Bluetooth speaker to take on bike rides
    • A fingertip pulse oximeter and new digital thermometer
    • Three pairs of new sunglasses
    • A window seat for my cat
    • A silicone body scrubber
    • A bunch of hats
    ...How about you all?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

We were in the unique spot of having a massive amount of toilet paper (like 4-6 cases) thanks to Amazon Subscribe & Save. We'd had the frequency of delivery way too often, so we'd thrown extra cases in the basement. But I still grabbed a bidet, and I think I'll feel like a savage the next time I have to use toilet paper. Best purchase ever.

Welcome back btw. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Lovely Lovely x 1
  3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Agreed, 100%. It's the most significant reason that I'm not looking forward to going back to the office full time.
    Also, missed you! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

For you bidet lovers.......did you get a simple attachment for your existing toilet that you could install yourself, or did you bring in a plumber?

5. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

The model I bought was a full seat replacement with temperature control and a drying fan. I had my bathroom remodeled last summer but it didn’t have an outlet close to the toilet, so I called my electrician to install a new outlet (I know next to nothing about home repairs and have resolved to leave stuff like that to the experts since my very positive remodel experience last year). After the outlet installation, my very amazing electrician set up the seat himself, and it’s worked flawlessly ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Borla

Mine is an attachment that I installed myself. It involved a very elementary amount of plumbing (adding in a short flex pipe and a t-joint), but mine doesn't have the drying fan, so I didn't need electric run. It took me about 10-15 minutes to install.

• Like Like x 3
  7. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

We bought new graphic cards since we knew we'd be here for many months may as well up our World of Warcraft play experience.

We bought gaming chairs. We had been using Ikea straight back chairs for over 15 years and it was fine for playing wow. But adding another 8 hours for work to the mix? Too much.

I bought a raspberry pi and built a pi hole to get rid of advertisements on all household devices.. Best thing ever. I build a VPN so that I can use that extend that to my mobile experience when outside the home.

Food, lots of food... more like fresh fruits and vegetables since we never did that to the same degree as before. I am eating more fruits and vegetables than ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cynthetiq

and I still want a bidet. That may come if there is a 2nd wave of TP hoarding on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I've never understood a bidet. Maybe it falls under try it you'll like it.

Our on-line purchases haven't changed much, although we did purchases some wearables from Buck Knives and Ruger Firearms. We had been waffling on those for quite a while.

We did buy a stationary bike from Academy Sports. That was a weird experience.

10. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

It's supposed to be more sanitary than toilet paper; wiping an area you can't really see may not necessarily result in complete cleanliness, but hit it with a jet of warm water and you're pretty much all set.

If you have a case of the runs, it's easier to hose yourself down rather than wiping yourself raw numerous times.

11. Chris Noyb

Something about having a wet ass just doesn't appeal to me. BWTFDIK?

12. Borla

How do you keep it dry in the bath/shower? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Noyb

Bath?

Shower?

14. Chris Noyb

A dedicated bidet hand towel?

15. omega

omega Very Tilted

I went by Cabelas this morning to buy some pistol ammunition, since I had not been to the range in a couple of years. Holy cow, everything was cleaned out. They had extra cases of shotgun ammunition scattered around to fill up shelves but it was a sorry sight. Their used gun library was stripped of guns as well. The sales clerk said they had moved their last few used guns over to fill out their new gun cases. It's crazy how people are acting, but the wife and I in a paranoid moment were discussing basement water storage jugs. Then I told her we needed two battle rifles. An AR-15 and a 308 battle rifle. The 308 for disabling vehicles.

16. cynthetiq

if you got fecal matter/shit on your hand, you wouldn't just wipe it off with toilet paper would you? You'd at minimum wash it off with water, and if you had soap you'd use that too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

Drying my ass is the part that concerns me, which I thought my subsequent posts made clear. DIA mentioned a drying fan, which sounds time consuming, and I mentioned the possibility of a dedicated ass drying hand towel.

18. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

The full cycle for each function (front, wash, back wash, and dry) is roughly 2 mins from start to finish if you don’t end it early. If I’m on the can for my morning constitutional prior to a morning shower, I don’t bother using the dry function.

/tmi

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I met with a close friend today who revealed he’s invested in two fog machines and a soon to be delivered snow machine, all of which he’s planning to use as part of a Christmas theme for Halloween.

Asked about it by a neighbor while demonstrating the former this morning, he grinned and said, “I’m unsupervised.”

Respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

We went to Europe last summer and stayed in a fancy hotel in Florence Italy that had a bidet. My first experience with one.
    So I tried it out......fairly pleasant to use.
    They had 2 small plush towels right by the bidet but I felt too weird about using them back there. I felt clean but what if I wasn't perfectly clean, you know what I mean?
    So I waited and air dried.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1