1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Paring Down: What will you never part with from your library?

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by Japchae, Aug 5, 2013.

1. whoknewhawtwife Vertical

I would brave flames to save...
    • hardback The Bell Jar
    • parents' childhood Bibles
    • signed Lesson Before Dying (Ernest Gaines)

2. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I'd save the Shakespeare.
    In the long run, all humans are anonymous.

Of course, if I saved the 'anonymous human being,' then William Shakespeare would at that point, after the fire, be totally anonymous. Right?

3. Since I rarely reread books, I've never been one to really hold on to books. I have some textbooks that I have kept for reference, but wonder why I even do that. I like to release the knowledge and stories so others can enjoy.

Or some crap like that.

The books that I will never surrender would be my signed copy of Wonderland by Joyce Carol Oates and the family bible.

I have started collecting children's books that I loved as a little one so that I may share them with BabySquirrel.

4. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

MB Goffstein books that Ive collected through the years.
    These are little books, often thought of as for children, but are really artful philosophical gems.
    I love them.

And, anything with maps or aerial photos,
    as well as books my children made/wrote.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Shakespeare has to stay, no question. No way I'd part with my complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories. I'd also have to cling to my Mark Twain collection, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

"I cannot live without books; but fewer will suffice where amusement, and not use, is the only future object."
    - Thomas Jefferson

• Like Like x 1