1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Passover plans?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Street Pattern, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Are you holding, or going to, a seder tonight?

As usual, we are going to the home of some family friends, a few blocks away. My wife is bringing the brisket.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Since I'm not at my Ex's anymore, nor near my own family, or friend who participates...I'm doing my own thing.
    But I am continuing with my observing of it.

hmm...I wonder if there are any suggestions on the web for a "lonely guy's" Seder??
    That would be interesting to look up.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Forgive my ignorance of Jewish traditions....could a synagogue and/or rabbi help connect you with others in the same situation?

4. rogue49

Perhaps, but I'm not really into joining a membership to a temple at this time...that is some investment (in more ways than one)
    Nor do I want to bother them during one of their highlights of the year.

Nah, I'll figure it out...I'm "reform", so I'm not going to feel betrayed by not going full traditional.
    Nor am I formally converted, which in some eyes, I'm not "official" anyway. (that and my Mother wasn't, although she connected with it...her Father was)
    I do it for myself.
    I enjoy it for its meaning, symbolism, culture and connection.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

My wife's musical mentor was Jewish. He helped her not only with music, but also with some general life issues. We miss him. He followed many traditions, more so after his divorce, but he didn't get all hung-up on them (if that makes sense, and hopefully isn't insulting).

6. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Jadzia and I always went to two family friends houses with my MIL.
    They are, of course, insisting that I come tonight and tomorrow.

I don't want to hurt their feelings so I'll go but it will be my first Seder in Jersey without Jadzia and I'm going to be miserable company.

7. rogue49

Eh, it's good food anyway...and it gets you out of the house.
    You'll do good.

See? I'm now covered...look what I found. ;)
    The Seder Plate for the un-interested single man

But there seems to be a variety of layouts for the non-traditional. - Link

Of course, I could always invite a few nerds over of the faith and have a theme.
    Darth Seder

--------------

BTW...in all seriousness for those curious members who're wondering what this is about.
    Here's a couple of links that may briefly describe the event and what to expect. (and correct me if I'm wrong anyone...I'm not an expert at all)
    Seder in an Nutshell
    What to expect if you're not used to it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Fairly low key sedar with friends and skimming through the haggadeh.

One of my daughter's roommates in NYC is dating one of the Maccabeats from Yeshiva Univ. She shared this with me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redravin

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Not being Jewish, I'm waiting until Friday to place an order from B&H. It's the spirit that counts, right? ;)
    It's been a long time but I remember her well. I'm sorry you had to celebrate without her.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

Does anyone else find Passover ( I think it's the matzoh in particular) incredibly constipating?

12. redravin

Eating it for a month straight can certainly do that to you if you don't make sure to drink a lot of water.
    Wine helps too, there's a good reason you're supposed to drink those four cups with Passover dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

There's a satirical video about this, featuring images of a toilet and the slogan "Let my people go!"

... or just eight days straight.

Miralax is the answer. It's not a laxative as such; it acts by drawing water into your digestive system -- which is badly needed during Passover.

It does no harm -- my physician says a person can use it "with impunity."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. redravin

Sorry but those eight days feel like a month to me.
    I had motzah with spaghetti sauce on it for dinner and with peanut butter for breakfast.

15. rogue49

It's a great diet though... :confused: