1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

So you're saying individuals or in PaJoe's case his estate will not be at risk?

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Almost certainly not since they were acting within the scope of their respective positions. Unless there's something going on that I don't know about, the insurance will extend to them. They have to have acted outside their employment for the insurance to deny responsibility.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Good for Nike.

Report: Nike to change name of 'Paterno Child Development Center' - Yahoo! Sports

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Wow I just always remember sitting in court waiting for my hearing or whatever to start and hearing people suing everyone- the church, the pastor, the clerical staff, the maintenance man etc... You can replace school officials or day care providers with church employees depending on the case.

I'm not questioning you, I'm certain you know your business. Just a little surprised is all.

5. the_jazz

I'm assuming you mean me. If not, the following is irrelevant to the thread.

You can sue anyone for anything. The two questions for me are "is there any merit to the claim" and "is this a covered loss". The first question has a tragic answer. The second is more complicated. Assuming that the attorneys want to collect insurance money (which are deeper pockets) as opposed to endowment money (which cripples the institution, possibly permanently), they'll make their allegations in the civil suits in a such a way that the insurance companies are forced into the picture. They'll name all the conspirators personally in the suit, along with the institution, but that's irrelevant to the insurance coverage. Insurance contracts automatically extend coverage to any employee named in a suit provided that they were acting in the scope of their employment. That's the point of this kind of coverage - if your carpenter employee drops a hammer on someone else (who's not your employee), they need the insurance protection from you.

/possibly irrelevant comment.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yes my question was meant for you. I just failed to hit "reply" when posting it.

I get it now, makes sense. I never paid that much attention to civil matters in court. I used to listen a little but after a while it all sounds like "blah, blah, blah." Some times divorce hearings would be funny. Ok, she gets the pool outright but he insists on getting the lights out of it first. She got the house. We're they going to move the pool to give it to him? And whats he going to do with used pool lights? Most of the time it's just boring. I remember getting a new cell phone once and it had some lame game where you tried to 'snake around the screen without ever running into yourself and the tail would get larger and larger. Stupid, stupid game but made no noise and helped me pass many hours sitting in courtrooms waiting for my cases.

7. Borla

Live PSU Trustee presser on ESPN right now. They just hung JoePa out to dry.

8. the_jazz

That makes his death even more convenient for them. Regardless of what he did or didn't do (in other words, it's possible that the Freeh Report unfairly accuses JoePa), he's not available for rebuttal.

Or it's entirely possible that he should have been put out to dry a long, long time ago.

9. Borla

Considering that he went through 430+ interviews and 3.4M emails and personal notes, I'd like to think he's basing what he said on real fact. Especially given the man hours involved and his personal reputation. I think he lends a lot of credibility to it by his resume.

I don't think he was a malicious evil guy, and it doesn't sound like they are trying to paint him that way. But it sure seems that he bears a large share (but it is clearly shared) of the responsibility.

The report says that the four main players (Schultz, Spanier, Curley, and Paterno) knew since 98 that abuse had happened. At least once since then (IIRC, in 2001 or 2002) the first three decided to report it and were convinced not to by Paterno, according to emails and notes from that time.

10. the_jazz

I know, Borla, I'm just pointing out that he's a convenient scapegoat under the circumstances.

That said, he was also the face of the institution for decades, so I doubt that he's being trashed because he's a convenient scapegoat. I have no reason to doubt anything in the Freeh Report.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Borla

http://assets.espn.go.com/pdf/2012/0712/psupressrelease.pdf

That's the report if anyone is interested.

I haven't made it all the way through it, probably will tomorrow. But so far, looking at the bottom of page 40 and the 3rd paragraph on page 49, Joe knew Sandusky was a kid toucher since 98. On page 53 it appears that he commits perjury regarding it.

12. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Wow. There's nothing like having your legacy turn from "one of the greatest coaches in history" to "one of the most callous, most disgusting cowards in sports history."

He knew this shit was going on for ten years?

What a shame. The really sad thing is, we all know stuff like this is going on elsewhere.

Communities need to work towards awareness and safe practices regarding minors in sports (and other) organizations. Stat.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Borla

Almost 14 years. Since March of 98 at the very latest.

14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Sad really sad.

Oh and I've been posting PaJoe when I guess it's JoePa... I told you I was dyslexic. My dab, sorry.

15. the_jazz

16. Borla

I think the $400 worth of clothes v. raping kids one is my favorite. Look at the dates involved. They basically handled both problems during the same couple of weeks. The guy buying a kid clothes got banned for life. The guy raping kids kept his job and was allowed VIP access for the next 14 years.

17. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

wait. are you saying that there are problems with big-time college sports?
    like warped priorities? ethics challenges? insularity and excessive power? an ncaa that is a joke as a regulatory body? universities that are all too willing to look the other way because of the big big money these programs bring in, particularly when you consider every televised game a new branding opportunity?
    and that this sort of institutional situation may be general conditions of possibility for the sort of behaviours we are finding out about in penn state's football program?

heavens to betsy!

and that nothing, at all, will change about those general conditions of possibility because now it's all about the particular individuals in this particular program...and you can almost hear the ncaa breathing a sigh of relief on release of the freeh report?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Borla

I think the Freeh Report makes it more messy for them. I finished reading it today. They all have an even bigger mess on their hands than I think anyone expected.

Here's another interesting read about the fallout: Penn State could pay $100 million in civil damages to Sandusky's victims and lose public funding - Yahoo! Sports

The biggest things it touches on IMO are:
    1) Hundreds of millions in civil suits, especially if many more victims come forward (some have between the original court case and now). And insurance might NOT cover it because of administration knowing about it and hiding it.
    2) The NCAA Constitution citing all behavior involving athletics at all must be ethical.
    3) The Dept of Education yanking Federal funding (which I think is an extreme long shot).
    4) Title IX, which I hadn't even thought of pertaining here.

Obviously it is all conjecture, but I think some of the thoughts are interesting. And scary if you are one of the few still defending PSU on this (yes, I've still come across a couple).

19. the_jazz

The NCAA is in a precarious position here. If there's a Federal investigation into the conspiracy, it basically gives them no choice but to give the program the Death Penalty.

20. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

right, but this would amount to the "bad apple" syndrome, the particularization of significant problems that are systemic on a specific program. the logic typically runs that once the bad apples are purged, the system is understood as corrected. that's self-evidently not the case here.

i should make it clear that i'd like to see the entire edifice of big-time collegiate sports brought down. not that i oppose the sports themselves. but this is obviously not about the sports themselves. it's about the institutional/corporate edifice that's grown up around them. this is a rare opportunity to smash the whole thing. i hope it happens. as obvious and deep-seated as were the particular problems at penn state in their football program, i still sense this whole thing moving from the general to the specific in a way that's not great. but, like i said, i think that education would benefit from the destruction of this sort of sports empire in general. your results may vary.