1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Paterno has said he will coach out the season then retire.

The Board of Trustees is meeting Friday, and they actually have the final say. I think he should go now. But if they want to give him one final home game to go out with, fine. But no way they should let him coach the final two games on the road. I can't even begin to imagine how brutal the fans in Columbus and Madison would be. No one needs that.

2. Never thought about how the fans at other colleges would react. You're right it would be brutal.

3. Borla

I can only imagine how crazy the T-shirt shops there are going already.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

I totally agree. Paterno needs to go now. And the fact that he's not stepping down just shows that he's an arrogant old man concerned only with preserving his legacy. But the only legacy for Paterno will be his disgusting, cowardly sexual abuse/rape coverup.

5. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

I already know of a LOT of people in Columbus who are ready to give Paterno hell if he ends up coming here for the Penn State/OSU game.

This whole situation just disgusts me. I understand going up the chain of command so they are notified, but what happened to personal responsibility to report something like this to the POLICE? The graduate assistant shouldn't just have notified Paterno/his superiors, he should have done with the addition of "and I just called the police, I wanted you to be aware of the coming investigation."

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Something something glass houses something throwing stones something something

7. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Hey, at least Tressel resigned rather quickly. And, somehow, I think child molestation and RAPE is far worse than free tattoos and the like.

8. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

One of these things is not like the other...

9. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

Clearly the two scandals are on different levels, but that said, OSU fans have no room to act self righteous about anything

10. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Many fans disapproved of Tressel AND the team members' actions and were happy to see him resign and the team get punished. Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Also, I think anyone has the right to feel self righteous about child molestation if they have not indulged in the behavior or condoned it themselves.

Note that I said that I knew people prepared to give Paterno hell - not Penn State as a whole.

11. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

and Paterno deserves whatever boos or jeers he gets. as a Penn State fan (and Columbus resident), I hope no one here does anything stupid

12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

For once, I agree with Eddie. :D

Unconscionable. It's still an old boy's club world in some institutions.
    --- merged: Nov 10, 2011 1:01 AM ---
    Hopefully the number who've indulged or condoned is far less than it seems, sometimes.

13. Alistair Eurotrash

No better than the Catholic Church cover-ups. I don't blame the kids who discovered it. I blame the establishment they turned to. They should have supported the kids in going straight to the Police and putting an end to this, immediately.

Disgraceful.

14. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

An interesting article about a group that promotes this as a "healthy" activity. The North American Man/Boy Love Association.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

And I'm just curious.

From a woman's point of view. From anyone's point of view, for that matter.

Has anyone asked what these 8-12 year old boys are even doing in a university locker room in the first place?

I know it seems like the freshmen get younger every year, but...

Lindy

15. Borla

The 'kid' who walked in on the rape was 28 years old at the time. Hardly too young to avoid culpability in my mind.

16. Alistair Eurotrash

Fair point.

17. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

He's been involved with the "Second Mile" program since creating it in 1977. I expect (hope) other victims will be speaking out soon.

They should all be brought up on charges, including the 28 yr old grad student who witnessed a 10 year old being anally raped and found the removal of the pedophile's keys and a report made to Second Mile satisfying enough to continue keeping the incident from law enforcement authorities for 8 years. I can understand the shock the man must have felt at witnessing such a thing but it doesn't excuse his negligence in failing to do everything in his power to insure that the pedophile was caught and put away. At some point in that 8 years, it must have occurred to him to do so or at least follow-up and make sure others have taken care of it . Personally, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I knew this man was put away.

The adequate response to seeing such a thing seems like a no brainer to me. Tell whoever is in the near vicinity on the way to the police station. If the police don't respond appropriately, head for the local paper and blow the whistle. Sure, the paper will want corroborating evidence which they will probably be able to dig up themselves as pedophiles generally leave a smear behind them. The pedophile will deny it and, as appears to be the case here, be supported by his enablers. But scream hard enough and there will be an investigation - a real investigation - not a discussion in a coach's office between those more interested in covering up the "problem" than dealing with it - doling out a punishment no greater than another wrist-slapping for the "yeah he's a pervert but he's our pervert" pedophile. There'll at least be something on public record the next time an allegation is made.

Or is this expecting too much of people?

18. Alistair Eurotrash

No. It's not.

19. Both Patreno and the university president are gone now. Board of Trustees holding press conference as I type this.