1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

University officials basically say that Paterno brought up the idea of sweetening his retirement deal right around the same time he lied to the grand jury about covering up the Sandusky child rapes. Nice.

Report: Paterno contract deal reached amid scandal - Yahoo! Sports
    --- merged: Jul 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM ---
    There is a famous mural at PSU that included Paterno. When Paterno died the artist painted a halo around his head.

Today he returned and removed the halo.

Artist removes Joe Paterno's halo from Penn State mural - U.S. News

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

That was an incredible article about the artist. And good on him for being a 'childraiser' as well as the 'parent' and 'midwife' of his work.

I've just got back from seeing plenty of Curches where King Henry the Eighth decreed heads of statues be removed, as part of his de-iconizing the church during his rein. I've got the terms of what he did wrong, but and sensitive to the importance of keeping aware of the meaning of art. Well Done Pilato.

And well done Borla on keeping this thread current. Yes, I don't contribute much to it, but Yes ... I closely follow it.
    It's the News that I would NOT be seeing if you were not 'guardian' of its sharing. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cant put a price on stolen innocence and ruined dreams can you.

4. Borla

ESPN is reporting this morning that the statue is coming down right now. Big Ten Network is showing live coverage as the statue was removed. They haven't decided what to do with it long term.

The leading suggestion I heard was that they were going to put it in the Paterno Library......................to remind everyone to stay quiet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

bu
    but why penalize the scholar/athletes for the transgressions of those identified coaches/administrators?

6. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

When I watch this video I'm not sure how they're going to handle it.

There may be options that don't harm the players but still eliminate the football program. Some people have suggested allowing transferring without penalty and possibly granting them an extra year of eligibility, I think those would be fair choices. It depends on how you frame the benefits to the football program and importance of the cultural structure that supports it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  7. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Good. I hope it's a multi-year suspension for the program. I live in central PA, did my undergrad just outside of state college, and briefly attended one of Penn State's affiliate schools. My entire life, family and friends have been steeped in Penn State. I am just blown away by how far gone that culture is. One of the things that I haven't really been able to believe is the extent to which people are not just defending Paterno but villainizing the board and the investigators, calling for their dismissal for being 'unfair' to Joe (who they maintain has done nothing wrong). I've seen people actually make the argument that what Paterno did on the football field is sufficient to make up for his 'mistake' and that he shouldn't have his legacy harmed for it. I've seen several people already this morning say that tearing down Paterno's statue is no different than tearing down the Nittany Lion.

It is clear to me that a significant portion of Penn State has completely forgotten about what the school is really for and where there priorities ought to be. They have placed football on a pedestal, making it's continued success and reputation paramount to all other concerns. I don't see how you can correct a problem like that without canning the football program for considerably longer than a year.

8. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

Its a sad story, no matter how you look at it.

9. Borla

10. uncle phil

11. Borla

I'd argue that they should let those kids transfer immediately and not have to sit out, and I'd let other universities contact them and offer scholarships. Try to minimize the impact to them, but don't hesitate to act strongly against PSU because of it.

I understand your argument, but I can't think of ANY just punishment that doesn't have some fallout on innocent parties at this point. And I think you have to invoke some type of severe sanctions to prevent/deter this from happening again. The sad flip side to this is that I think it could've happened at other places, and the only way SOME of those other places might sit up and pay attention is if they see that sticking their head in the sand will eventually cause severe consequences.

I'm all for mitigating the fallout on the current batch of innocent kids (and even coaches), but I think that PSU must pay a high price, and it must not be avoided merely because the impact includes people who aren't to blame.

Without trying to side track this thread, I find it similar to many of the big business/big bank scandals. Imagine if a huge oil company purposefully dumped waste into a remote nature preserve for 14 years to save itself the cost of disposing of it properly. Only a few key personnel knew directly it was going on, but the entire set up of the company was so corrupt and focused on profits that it enabled the devastation to go on. One day it's finally discovered and the handful of people responsible are fired. Wouldn't you still expect that company, who profitted for 14+ years from the illicit activity to pay for the clean up? Maybe even some fines or punishment for being so poorly run as to let that happen? Most people would. But the argument could be made "what about the innocent share holders, or employees who might pay the price when they didn't individually do wrong?" But if you let the company get off scott-free just because it fired the people responsible, where is the incentive for anyone else to avoid the same behavior?

To me it is similar. The kids may be innocent, but make no mistake, football is a big business. The business thrived partially because of the corrupt base (imagine the kids that WOULDN'T have went to PSU, the games they would've lost, if this came out in '98, or '02, or any point since then!) that was allowed to operate. Even if the key people are fired (and they all weren't, Curley is still getting paid to this day!), the university still needs to pay a price for operating in an environment that let this happen. Not only because it is wrong, but because it violated the NCAA Charter and federal law (Clery Act) in the process.

Just my .$02.

• Like Like x 2
  12. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Generally speaking, NCAA sanctions like this include allowing players to transfer without penalty - i.e. having to sit out a year.

And I personally find it about as hard to feel sorry for a Division I football player at a major conference as I do the CEO of the huge oil company mentioned by Borla. They don't share it any of the blame for this particular scandal at all, but that does not make them good people or even likeable. I've been around enough of them in my life to know that there's a large percentage of them that are solely interested in themselves long before any program.

13. Borla

Press conference is on ESPN now.
    Sanctions =
    1) $60M fine, funds to be used for endowment to support victims of child sexual abuse. It equals ONE year revenue for PSU football.
    2) Post season ban for four years.
    3) Scholarships reduced by 10 for 4 years.
    4) Any entering or returning football students allowed to transfer and be eligible immediately.
    5) Remaining players can remain eligible and keep scholarship even if they don't play.
    6) Vacates all wins from 98-11, records reflect that
    7) 5 year probation
    8) Will continue investigation to impose individual sanctions on people involved as necessary.
    9) University must adopt reforms in Chap 10 of Freeh Report.
    10) Must enter special agreement with NCAA and Big10 for compliance.
    11) Independent monitor will be selected by NCAA to track PSU's progress in implementing the agreement.

14. hankster

hankster LONG time resident

the vacated wins from '98 - '11 means a loss of 111 wins from paterno's record to 298

15. Borla

Yeah, I think that was the entire point of it. Moving him out of the "winningest football coach of all time" slot. Now he's 8th. I liked that idea.

• Like Like x 2
  16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

but paterno's dead. what difference does taking away wins make from a dead guy?

seriously, penn state's football program should have been shut down. the problems were systemic--they went beyond individuals and spoke to the effects of bounded rationalities in blinkering ethics. this is not a new problem, nor is it particular to penn state's football program--but it seems that there's a quirk in the u.s. of a. of never going after diseased organizations like that, particularly not when the disease isn't that different from the normal operation of all kinds of bureaucratic environments except to the extent that (a) in this case the notion of loyalty to the organization resulted in sheltering sandusky and (b) sandusky got caught. but then again, i think the archdioscese of boston should have been vaporized as an organization after the scandal that hit the catholic church in the area a few years ago.

the notion that shutting down the program is punishing the players is made irrelevant by the ability of these players to transfer.

17. uncle phil

the players in any program have the ability to transfer; how is this irrelevant to those who have chosen this particular program and forged bonds with their fellow players? i am still of mind that the student athetes, such that they are, are needlessly suffering for the discretions of a tainted few...

18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it's the organization itself that's the problem. i understand the objection that arises on behalf of the players, but if you follow that to its limit, then nothing should have happened to penn state because any sanction would impact on the players. but i have a pretty cynical view of big-time college sports.

this ruling seems a finger wagging. taking victories from a dead guy is about as symbolic a punishment as can be imagined for example. depriving the program of revenues it makes for a year, given the system of foulness outlined in the freeh report is really not terribly harsh. the ban on post-season play will doubtless affect television revenues significantly. where do they go anyway? not to the players...the scholarship thing: where's that money going to go? anywhere? they should have killed the program and redistributed it resources across the university. fuck em. short of that, there's still a de facto sanction for loyalty to something as stupid as football getting in the way of thinking like a decent human being when confronted with even something like systematic child abuse. i don't think that's ok.

hell, athletics programs cover up petty crimes like rape all the time. that's not ok. maybe killing off penn state's football program would have done a little something about that sort of thing.

i don't personally care what the football players there now happen to think. it's unfortunate for them that they happen to be there when this all went down. maybe they could transfer. or maybe they could get educations. penn state's a good school.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

The reasoning, as I understood it from watching the press conference, was not just about players but essentially the industry surrounding Penn State football. A lot of people in and around state college depend on the football team for their paycheck, to eliminate the football program for a long time would have collateral damage likely measured in millions of dollars per year outside of the school. I think it's fair to want to avoid that where you can. I also don't think the NCAA sanctions were nothing. I doubt you'll see Penn State in a position to contend for anything for at least a decade. While Penn State will be able to field a team in the future, it won't be a competitive team because they now have very little to offer prospective players. I think that the hope of the of the NCAA is that they can eliminate the cultural error at Penn State which has placed winning ahead of all else by eliminating the chances of really having a winning football team.

Personally, I don't think it will work. What I see from the people around me is quite frankly frightening. They're trying to claim that it's unfair to punish the team because the crimes weren't related to football. They've said that Paterno was a good enough coach that the statue should have stayed up regardless of what he did. One person even said (though many agreed) that taking down the statue of Paterno was no different than taking down the Nittany Lion.

I don't see how you can change a group mentality like that without a wholesale break from football. Probably for at least 5 years.