1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Britain is having to look at the life and times of its beloved television presenter, the late Jimmy Saville.
    Now being investigated for the possibility that he might have been a rampant child molester.
    BBC News - How do sexual abusers cover their tracks?
    Might be worth a thread of its own, but I'd be lousy at hosting it.
    Thought I'd mention it anyway. Partly because it's a similar structure, and partly because that BBC article is one of the few British 'mentions' of the Sandusky stuff, which, in my skewed way of thinking, is something that wider global attention should be on. Then I DO tend to support a world that attends to how people get on rather than how Corporations get along.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yeah you don't see many "Hitlers" carrying on the family name either.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Paterno family drops lawsuit against NCAA

Probably one of the last nails in the coffin on this whole thing, and on all reasonable claims that Paterno didn't share in the blame.

For those keeping score at home, since Sandusky was convicted:
    Former Penn State president Graham Spanier was convicted of misdemeanor child endangerment.
    Former athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz both plead guilty to misdemeanor child endangerment.
    All three face jail time.
    Though Paterno was dead and couldn't be charged, the judge in the above cases tore him up in his remarks for not reporting it either. It seems he would've been charged and faced jail time if he were alive.

The case in the link above was dropped by the plaintiffs "with prejudice", meaning basically that they admit they don't have proof and won't refile. There is some interesting commentary on the timing of them dropping the case in this article:
    Last-ditch effort to reframe Joe Paterno's legacy fizzles out

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

What I don't understand about the whole thing is how you could let such an evil going??

I actually got let go because I made noted concern of the safety and overwork of my staffmembers to HR. (to the point they were going to the hospital)
    That was nothing.
    Hell, I got another job.

This was just disgusting, what they allowed.

Is winning that important?? :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Completely agree. Going through the details of what was seen and reported, I can't imagine knowing about it without screaming to the heavens until the authorities were involved. I honestly don't know if it was strictly about winning though. I think it started as an old school loyalty by Paterno to Sandusky with the thought that "I'll help him and it'll never happen again". Then later it was so far gone that Paterno, Spanier, and others were rationalizing reasons to keep themselves protected. The only other theory that I can think of is that Sandusky had something on Paterno so JoePa covered for him under duress.

Either way the entire thing is disgusting, and it sickens me how some defend it out of rabid fandom.

• Like Like x 2