1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. It won't be too hard to corroborate. All it takes are some of the victims to speak up. I'm sure the ones who ae known are being interviewed presently. If their stories match up, watch out.

If Madden is correct, there are some donors that aren't sleeping too well these days. Wait till those names come out.

Just when you think this is as bad as it gets, it gets far worse.

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

One of those times I love Germany's extremely thick books containing its codified laws. It's a crime over there to witness a clearly criminal act and not to do anything about while being able to. The only justification for inaction is the likelihood of serious bodily harm as a consequence of getting involved (e.g. because the criminals outnumber you or carry weapons). Even if immediate inaction is excused, there is no excuse for not reporting the crime to the police (which by itself is another crime), unless your life or that of another was at risk.

Mr McQueary's reason to save his career instead of the boys is clearly not an acceptable excuse.

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

The more I read and learn about this whole thing, the more disgusted I get.

4. Eddie Getting Tilted

From a recent announcement: Penn state board of Trustees has requested that McQueary not be on the field at Saturday's game, but says it doesn't intend on firing him. Wtf?

5. Frosstbyte

Frosstbyte Winter is coming

Hmmmmm, that link isn't working for me. I wonder if it's getting absolutely hammered.

Edit: Now I see it, and I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Ok, more than a little bit.

6. Remixer

I was looking through that Twitter search thing linked above. I laughed hard at this bit:

[​IMG]

7. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

The endowment is an investment. It's in no way at risk here. Maybe you mean it's charter, though, which was granted by the state. I don't think one's ever been rescinded, so I'm not sure how that would work legislatively.

As for the reporting/nonreporting, I'm still trying to get clarification from some folks I know on what PA law requires. Texas law, I know, requires anyone with any knowledge of any child abuse, regardless of their profession and regularity of contact with children, to report it to the authorities. It's pretty much the toughest in the country. I imagine that PA law will be somewhat less strict, but I'm not sure how much at this point.

It seems to me that the state authorities aren't going to charge Paterno et al with anything along those lines so much as they are a conspiracy to cover up. I'm not sure if I buy Madden's claim - if it's true, that means that the donors will go down too, and money tends to quiet things like pretty fast. I hope it's not true, at least. We'll see if it ever gets published.

8. Remixer

The BBC has picked up on the story, apparently because Penn State students went on a riot after Joe Paterno got sacked. Story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15682779

Notable quote:

Notable comments on BBC page:

9. Eddie Getting Tilted

The endowment comes from private donations. And this scandal could very affect whether or not the donors choose to continue giving.

10. Eddie Getting Tilted

From this article:

"WBC says the alleged cover-up is similar to the cover-up scandals that have plagued the Catholic Church in recent years. "They have taken from the playbook of the Catholics. Let's diddle the little kiddies and hide it from top to bottom!" the group's website says. "Fitting that the head cover-up artist is called the Pope of Happy Valley. How sick is that! Not surprising, but sick!"

WBC is a bunch of twisted wackjobs but I agree with that.

11. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i think it's wise to withhold judgment about these latest allegations (madden's claims about the non-profit and pimping young boys to donors) until theyre confirmed with more sourcing. really explosive stuff. really needs to be verified.

on the meatheads who rioted in state college--if these clowns aren't careful, they'll do a whole separate type of damage to penn state, which is, despite all this foul business in its football program, a whole lot more than that---a very big and in many ways a very good school with a host of departments and students who have nothing to do with football or the meathead circus that surrounds it. and they'll end up focusing a lot of attention on drunken meathead culture, on what allows it to happen, on what it means. they'll also maybe focus attention more broadly on the whole foul system that's come into being around college football, on the amounts of money involved, on the consequences of it for broader educational missions, etc. personally, i would welcome it in many ways...these programs have WAY too much power. but it'd be a whole lot better for everyone, really, if they werent driven by a sense that it produces/feeds into populations whose ethical judgment is so fucked up that they cant distinguish between a history of rape of children and how it was covered up from football and that they actually believe that the impact on the football program more important than the fact of rape and its cover-up.
    --- merged: Nov 10, 2011 11:54 PM ---
    btw this article in the onion is so dead on that it's almost not satire:

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/sports-media-asks-molestation-victims-what-this-me,26609/

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Choose your battles wisely, I've been told and I fear this is an unwinnable battle on the part of the counter organizations. It will only make them look pro-child sexual abuse despite their expressed motivations.
    --- merged: Nov 11, 2011 1:16 AM ---
    Not far off from the way some in the sports media are actually framing this tragedy.

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

It would be interesting if someone would reveal the severance packages that Messrs. Spanier, Curley, Schultz, et. al. were awarded for their "resignations." Or will that be another good ol' boys coverup too...

Lindy

14. the_jazz

You don't understand what an endowment is. It's a blok of money invested. The endowment may not grow based on donations, but that doesn't mean that the money is going to go away. Harvard, for instance, has an endowment of ~$7.5B. If there was a similar scandal, that money wouldn't evaporate, nor would it diminish as a direct result of any scandal. It might diminish based on bad decisions made by replacement trustees, but it's not like folks who have donated can ask for their money back with the interest earned. It belongs to the school. And since PSU buys roughly $100M in liability limits, the endowment wouldn't be affected by any law suits either.

So, yeah, the endowment is 100% safe here, Eddie.

And, by the way, the endowment doesn't come completely from private donations. It also comes from public/corporate donations, bequests, grants and other mechanisms. But endowments grow primarily from sound investment strategies. I can give you some excellent examples if you'd like.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Eddie Getting Tilted

That's all I was saying.
    I think at this stage, there are so many eyes on Penn State, I don't think there will be any more coverups. And there's a good chance some of those names could end up in jail.

16. kramus

kramus what I might see

Many years ago I stopped being shocked at the existence of the crawly shit that bubbles in dark corners all around us. But I never cease to be disgusted and sick to the core when specific evils burst in all their pustulent glory, showering us all yet again with the scum and filth that is the downside of some humans. Especially when the evil could be so easily stopped. I can understand being fearful of reprisal when a witness lives in a feral environment with moral codes that are twisted by violent people with selfish agendas (I'm thinking prison, or some housing projects). But FFS, seeing a kid getting raped by an older dude . . . that's when you find the nearest unattached object (chair, fire extinguisher, garbage can) and use it to put that fucker down while keeping out of his range a bit. Cornered rats bite, after all. Then you wrap the kid up as best you can and get to a phone. No other course of action exists. This whole exposure is just so nasty. And experience tells us it ain't over by a long shot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. the_jazz

Except that's NOT what you were saying.
    No, you said the school would "lose" it's endowment. I explained how that wasn't possible. Not growing the endowment and losing it altogether are two entirely different things. And there's the simple fact that most endowments, especially of the size of Penn State's (well over $1B) don't grow from donations. They grow based on sound investment. When you have $1B, you don't worry about income streams to maintain that. It maintains itself and you figure out what percentage of the proceeds you can spend every year. That's why endowments exist.

Face it, Eddie. You're wrong. You can try to keep digging your way out of it but that's only going to dig you deeper. There's no way that Penn State is going to "lose" its endowment over this. Even if it did, it wouldn't "cease to exist".

Consider yourself called out on your bullshit statement.

18. Derwood

Derwood Slightly Tilted

actually, McQueary is about 6'5".

I went to high school with the guy