1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State Child Molestation Scandal

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

And usually in a case of this magnitude, with the knowledge of the incredible publicity it will generate, great attorneys are salivating for the opportunity to be involved. He will absolutely be provided with qualified legal defense.

2. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Thank you, Borla. So he would get his 'day in court' no matter what.

I noticed also, that the founding doner was explicit that he had NOT studied the issue .... as you say, Borla "... If you educate yourself on the facts of what happened ..... and still feel that is a worthy cause to give money to, you disgust me"

The doner's publicised willingness to remain ignorant also disgusts me. OK, I Can see a longterm friend's agony at seeing their mate might have clay feet. I can see a momentary conflict of loyalty ... that split second of .... 'raped people ..... but is my friend .... BUT RAPED PEOPLE' End of conflict. Then 'Woah there ... he might deserve more than the minimum day in court ... well let's get busy and study this situation'. First priority: educate self.

Y'know ... I'd have to study enough before being able to conscionably throw money for his representation.
    Otherwize, it's almost like the doner's message is 'If it's for a friend, then it's OK to be blind to the facts.

I don't think my post adds anything to the arguments being examined, but, hearing about this situation yesterday, I wanted to step up and add my paw-print on the table ... something more than the silent, helpless sitting quietly and shaking my head which nearly came over me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Borla

And if raped people isn't bad enough, it was raped children. In my mind, as awful as rape is, children being raped by an authority figure that is supposedly there to protect and help them is far worse.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Borla

Part of me wants to say "serves them right if it drags everyone down a notch", especially since the highest levels of administration were involved.

But the rest of me is saddened that, more than likely, all the individuals responsible will be long gone, yet it will negatively impact the entire student body, faculty, and those who step into the roles of trying to salvage what is left behind.

5. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

What I'm getting at is that the 'golden parachute' severance packages are often negotiated when the employee is HIRED, not when they are forced to resign. And Penn State will of course be able to say that such 'personnel matters' will not be discussed. You can bet that Spanier, Curley, Schultz, had the advice of lawyers at their resignation, and the lawyers would insist that non-disclosure would be part of the deal when they were forced out.
    And isn't this whole sordid mess a perfect illustration of the statement, attributed to Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    This thing apparently got 'kicked upstairs' at least three times and nothing was done, and I bet a lot of folks breathed a sigh of relief. Until now.

Lindy

6. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

+1

7. Borla

Here's a question. Do you think Sandusky founded and worked on Second Mile for 30+ years because:
    a) he has a very benevolent side separate from his abusive side, really wanted to help kids, but eventually the combination of his sick mind and close proximity to young boys led to the abuse?
    b) he was a tortured individual who was already abusing little boys, and this was a twisted way he was trying to appease his conscious or make up for the wrongs he was doing?
    c) it always had a malicious bend to it, and it was almost completely so he could funnel more easy targets to himself to abuse?

8. Alistair Eurotrash

None of us has the faintest idea, of course. However, I imagine he has a genuine fondness for young boys (beyond sexual desire) and that this lies at the root of both. The desire to help and the desire to abuse are probably all mixed up in his head.

9. Borla

Here is an interesting take on things. I can't say that I disagree with much of it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...no-culture/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a3

10. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Actually, I think you're making some bad assumptions. You're suggesting that the high-powered lawyers are going to work pro bono - in cases like that, it's very rare for that to happen. Maybe a reduced rate, but even then, probably not. This is going to be a full-time job for someone for the next couple of years. They won't do it for free.

11. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

As one who followed chain of command and got fired for it a couple times, (not in a sex abuse area but rather verbal/physical assault by a client who was in fact using Detox as a hiding place from the cops (he had a warrant for attempted murder) and to make deals, got canned because I embarrassed the boss by calling the cops and filling out a police report, also lost a job when a co worker was using MR/DD house food stamps to load his own fridge and when I reported him I got canned as a trouble maker.), reporting it without following the proper steps can just come back on you and cause you more problems than the actual guilty party. So taking things into your own hands MAY sound good and be the right thing to do, but it may cost you your job also. Child molestation though , yes, go to the police, makes the company and/or University look worse if they fire you or harass you for doing so.

Ok bad joke time:

If an older woman chasing a young bot is called a "cougar", then is an older man chasing a young boy called a "Nittany Lion"?

12. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

[​IMG]
    not sure what to make of this...

13. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

One has to question the timing of all this, just when all the hoopla about student loans and tuition rate increases have been coming out explosively, this comes out. They have been wanting Jo Pa gone for years, he gets his records and now he gets canned? I don't know The timing on so many aspects looks like they buried it to use at a later date against some people. But then again I see conspiracy in everything.

14. Alistair Eurotrash

I've spent a lot more time in the States in the last few years than in the past and have been surprised (shocked) at the power that sport coaches have, even at High School level. It's as if they can't be confronted or disobeyed. I can only assujme that this is because of the carrot of sport sponsorship (and, in colleges, because of the money sports can make). As an outsider, it all looks way out of hand to me.

It is just sport. I see kids taking risks with their health and neglecting schoolwork so that they can train every fucking day. Parents are supposed to plan their lives around their kids playing what is, after all, a game. Now, I enjoy sports and I'm all for learning teamwork and becoming physically fit, but it seems a long way out of whack to me. It's as if nobody will say "No" to a coach. A bloody coach! There appears to be this huge machinery surrounding coaches, with multiple "coaching assistants" and so on, most of whom seem to be there as fluffers to the Great Head Coach as far as I can see. There is this American stereotype of these people as second fathers to the boys they train. I'm sure many of them are good people, but they ain't parents and aren't substitutes, especially with their narrow focus on results.

As an outsider, it looks like a joke, and the whole thing needs to be pegged back to what it is - an extracurricular activity. Jesus, most of these games are only played in one fucking country in the world anyway.

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

This story has some parallels to the Sheldon Kennedy story, which has much to do with why Kennedy has been stormed by the media over the past few days, mainly up here in Canada.

Organized sports tend to create insular worlds where people make very stupid decisions that make them seem detached from reality. There are other stories in hockey where there were several missteps made by hockey officials/management based on perceived reputation. Certain coaches and officials have a kind of sainthood status that extends beyond the sport itself and into the community of fans, parents, teachers, etc.

It's sad. It's why Kennedy has dedicated himself to helping communities understand how these things work and to have open communication about sexual abuse.

Especially in sports, where these things really would otherwise go unsaid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_James_(ice_hockey)#Sexual_abuse

16. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

an action at penn state that, curiously, got less press than the stampeding meatheads of the other night:

http://twitpic.com/7da8rh

• Like Like x 1
  17. How about this? :eek:

[​IMG]

18. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

And smart enough to not outfit them with cleats.

I hope the young boys in this photo never had to learn firsthand just what a sick man he was.

19. superdave

superdave New Member

Cut off his dick and shove it down his throat, and as for the rest of them hang them for not stopping this sooner, no excuses